• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Phoebe? (1 Viewer)

nikovich

Unusual to see any Flycatcher in the City - they are usually near farms and out in the Countryside - this little guy was sat on the Telephone line this morning ...in Sask, Canada

Attachments

• Eastern Phoebe 3.jpg
    Eastern Phoebe 3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 126
Hmmm... strongly backlit low resolution flycatcher = inkblot test, not definitive ID.

Nonetheless, I'm going to definitively rule out Eastern Phoebe based on the short, notched tail, and lack of high contrast white throat.

The darkness of the chest and head as well as low contrast throat and notched tail make Western Wood-Pewee a temptation. I don't like the tail length however, and its not just the position -- the length of the undertail coverts (that emerges well with increasing the contrast) versus the tail pretty much disqualifies Wood-Pewee.

No way that bird is an Olive-sided Flycatcher.

So that leaves us with a strongly backlit low resolution Empidonax to identify, LOL! :bounce:

Based on the tail shape and length, overall proportions, degree of yellow on belly, low contrast throat, and slight crest -- I'm going with Yellow-bellied Flycatcher for my wild guess -- er, I mean educated opinion... ;)

thanks Thayeri - it was a long shot I know ! :) LOL Literally - the bird must have been 70 ft away .

Last edited:
Could this be Olive-sided Flycatcher ? I haven't seen many of those, but remember that the "olive sides" were really obvious..

Yann

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back