• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens Covers - Do You Use Them? (1 Viewer)

AlanFrench

My Swarovski SLCs came with tethered caps for the objectives, and a cover for the eyepiece end that is attached to the binocular strap. I recently took the caps and the covers off. When I am not using them they are in the case. When I am using them, they are always ready to go.

I am curious, how many folks use the caps and covers, and how many folks prefer "naked" binoculars?

Clear skies, Alan

AlanFrench said:
My Swarovski SLCs came with tethered caps for the objectives, and a cover for the eyepiece end that is attached to the binocular strap. I recently took the caps and the covers off. When I am not using them they are in the case. When I am using them, they are always ready to go.

I am curious, how many folks use the caps and covers, and how many folks prefer "naked" binoculars?

Clear skies, Alan

I use my SLC covers, it doesn't cost anything extra and does protect the lens from a drop, the dust off of my beard and sweater, I don't clean my lens nearly as much as I used to.

Jaeger near Chicago

AlanFrench said:

Clear skies, Alan

Hi Alan

Must admit i tend to use caps and covers with my older Zeiss porros and Nikon SE /E 11
Think its just fear of getting caught up in UK changeable weather plus a probably irrational fear of "scratching" lenses
Some bins are quite bulky and awkward so i suppose that might be where i worry about marking the lenses with something

Each to their own as ever

Mind you two snags with objective covers
They fall off a lot in the case of my Zeiss Jena's and with some bins they are not always quick to remove resulting in missed views !!

I'm guessing that tethered covers are best for some folk but not all binoculars suit this style bodywise

In a nutshell it would be very liberating to go "naked" and coverless but somehow my British reservedness always ends up with the covers and caps packed and on

Regards
Rich

Yes

After losing the lens caps for my first pair of Celestron Outland binoculars, I decided it was better to protect those lenses in the future. A replacement pair just arrived due to a problem with double vision. The objective caps were attached. A tie has now secured the eyepiece caps also - let's see if that keeps the lenses nice and clear! B :)

I had a pair of bins with tethered lens covers, first thing I did was to remove them, when I traded them in a few years later I got more as the lens covers were still there.
I have enough trouble locating the bird without adding to it by having to remove lens covers first.
In 25 years I can honestly say that I have not so much as smudged a lens on my bins. If I was trekking through jungle etc then yes I can see the need but for most birders there isn't the need for lens covers. The other thing to bear in mind is that the covers can move so will be affected by wind etc, if you have a skittish bird and it spots that movement you are looking at an empty space.

I keep the objective covers tethered to my SLCs, but only snap the ocular covers on and off in the field. My Swift porros only have ocular covers. I don't feel this interferes with rapid acquisition of targets at all.

Oh, yes. Park Rangers come by in trucks quite often and create a dust storm in their wake. Nothing like being able to snap on the covers and wave hello.

Last edited:
No problem with putting the covers on/off but big problem with the covers moving when I'm watching a bird. I do not want any movement to spook the bird, therefore covers gone.

I always keep the eyepiece covers on my bins strap it`s really handy if it starts raining & it doesn`t take more than a few seconds to take them off.

Steve.

Keith Dickinson said:
No problem with putting the covers on/off but big problem with the covers moving when I'm watching a bird. I do not want any movement to spook the bird, therefore covers gone.

My SLC's covers don't move much at all, and being black don't glint either. Depending on how the tether works, however, I could imagine other designs do swing in the breeze.

stevo said:
I always keep the eyepiece covers on my bins strap it`s really handy if it starts raining & it doesn`t take more than a few seconds to take them off.
Same here. My wife calls them "jam/marmalade covers" - mmm... doughnuts.

Ilkka

I have the eyepiece cover (we're talking about a "rainguard" -- right?) for my Zeiss FL hanging on the neckstrap, and I've used it once or twice to keep the rain off. I don't use the tethered objective covers. Same for my EO bin. To me, lens covers are just something to get in the way when you need the bin this instant and not a moment later.

AlanFrench said:

Clear skies, Alan

I use the eyepiece cover quite a lot to keep off dust, rain, coffee, crumbs, etc. off. Since getting leica bn's, which did not come with covers, I bought a pair of flip up rifle scope covers, but don't much like them. Rather, I found a good case and placed a piece of scrap wood in the bottom to protect the objectives.

With my "liberated" aububons, i used the rainguard frequently (thinking back, I may have picked up the habit in upstate n.y., where its been known to rain a bit). I also used the objective covers, but only when the bins were in the case (which was never while actually birding) and after six years had not marked the objectives at all. I did place a piece of white tape on the objective covers, which was very useful for keeping track of them.

Given my new system, I suspect I'll go "bottomless" from here out.

Cheers,
Chris C.

I like them half-naked, bikini style ocular covers only, St-Tropez style. I never use the objective covers, but i do use the ocular covers (and the carry case when binoculars are not in use).

First thing I took off were the objective covers on my Swaro, one or the other would flip up to often. I am keeping the ocular covers, though, keeps off all sorts of gunk.

AlanFrench said:

Clear skies, Alan

Yes, I use the tethered objective covers and the eyepiece rain covers are fastened to my neck strap so I just slide them up on the strap. I feel they are so easy to use and do protect your lenses so why not use them. If your binoculars do not have the tethered objective covers you can get them at Eagle Optics.

Dennis

I use the objective lens caps when the binoculars are in the case, and I remove them when I am in the field and put them in my pocket. The rain guard, however, remains in place when I'm walking and I move it aside when I want to observe. I think I prefer the peace of mind knowing the eyepiece glass and coatings are not continually exposed to the elements...and my clumsiness...and, therefore, I use the rainguard pretty much all the time. The minor inconvenience it represents is a small price to pay for the protection it provides.

Last edited:
I just got a pair of Swaro 10x42 EL. Instead of "naked" I prefer more of a striptease. I attach the objective covers but, when I am out in the field, I never put them on (just let them dangle) as removing them is too cumbersome. I put them on when inside, traveling in the car or otherwise not birding just to protect these very high $$$$$ lenses! I have a waist bag on order and, when it arrives, will probably remove the covers altogether and relegate them to that oh-so-useful secret-agent suitcase and "shaving bag" weird pouch Swaro supplies instead of a real field bag. SWARO PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR NAKURA BAG INSTEAD OF THE ALUMINUM CASE/SHAVING POUCH WITH YOUR BINS. :-C

As for the eyepiece rainguard, that goes in my pocket or field bag in case of rain or dust storms only--I don't keep it on the eyepieces or attach it to the neckstrap, as I don't use a neckstrap but either a bin suspender, a waist bag, or (my preferred) just carry the bins in my hand (very easy, even for hours, with the EL "no bridge" design), with a waist bag to tuck them away if the weather turns bad.

Guy Harrison

I almost never use the lens covers that came with the binoculars. They have always seemed like total junk to me. Instead I use this Bino-Manager and it works really great. In addition to protecting to binocular from dust, water, etc. it also is a binocular harness far superior to the Crooked Horn Outfitters model.

http://www.archerywarehouse.com/binoaccess.htm

Taken from their web page:

THE NEW BINO MANAGER
SALE PRICE $24.95 Black
Mossy Oak Break up Add $4.00

Archery Warehouse
94 West 1410 South
Payson, Utah 84651
FOR PHONE ORDERS PLEASE CALL
( 801 ) 400-0173 M-F 9am- 5pm mst

This has got to be one of the most unique methods of caring your binoculars we've seen this year. The pouch, or elasticized cover, is made from camouflage water -resistant micro fleece material that will protect your binoculars from dust and water, but will still give you quick access to your binoculars. The Bino Manager comes with both the pouch and an elastic strap to keep your binoculars from swinging away from your body while your hunting, hiking, riding ATV's or any other outdoor activity. Available in Mossy Oak Break-Up [It also is available in black]
The shoulder straps are made from wide camouflage neoprene material. A comfortable back support which connects the chest strap and Bino-Pouch to the shoulder straps and keeps the pouch in place when your binoculars are in use insuring equal weight distribution while eliminating sagging and sliding while optimizing comfort.
To use your binoculars, simply pull them from the pouch. The pouch stays in place giving you the freedom to use your binocular with out neck strain or having to force them away from your body like some other binocular caring systems [for example, the crooked horn outfitters model.] When your through with your binoculars simply slip them under the pouch and there protected and held snug to your body. The Bino Manager will work well with any binocular or rangefinder with maximum dimensions of 8"H x 9"W x 3"D

Thanks for all the replies. I often set my binoculars on a table or on the seat of my car, and far too often picked them up quickly to find one or both of the tethered lens caps was over the objective. Yes, I did mean rainguard/ocular protector. I may revisit the choice to take this off - it was pretty much "might as well dump them both."
The lens caps, however, are staying home.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back