• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Halftwo's Autumn Almanac (1 Viewer)

you mean you could n't tell on Jizz, Giss or Gizz, I'm disapointed.

Hey, Bud, you must get a spell-checker (disappointed !!)8-P
I know - real bummer - just a pale owl - it could have been Barn - just not enough to call. Have you been to see my Bramblings yet?

Kathy,
I didn't hit the partridge - it took off too quickly - couldv'e had it for tea!!
H

Hey, Bud, you must get a spell-checker (disappointed !!)8-P
I know - real bummer - just a pale owl - it could have been Barn - just not enough to call. Have you been to see my Bramblings yet?

Kathy,
I didn't hit the partridge - it took off too quickly - couldv'e had it for tea!!
H

not yet, i'm in the office all week, i'll have a couple of early darts next week so i'll try then. I'll let you know when I see the Pine Bunting in the same flock.

Hello all,
No bird news since my last post. Only been to hospital for Mrs.H's scan results.
All OK & are now going to have a bottle of fizzy.
CheersB :)

Hello all,
No bird news since my last post. Only been to hospital for Mrs.H's scan results.
All OK & are now going to have a bottle of fizzy.
CheersB :)

Hi H

Great news to hear. :t:

Have a glass of fizzy from me. B :)

Regards
Kathy

December 19th: Little owl Returns

Huge shadows were thrown across the icy field as I filled the feeders - Coal tit calling impatiently - winter wheat frosted & turned lemony by a fireball orange sun that was climbing the horizon's trees. Deep frost. Ice blue sky.
Beautiful.
Out along icy lanes - puddles frozen, earth iron. Past Skylarks & Yellowhammers to check out a particular tree. For the first time in months the Little owl was back on its usual perch, crouching in a bough-bend & squinting into the sun, back like bark.
Mist rising from dung heaps by the paddock; a Buzzard sits sentinel on the fence. Along the hedge a Kestrel huddled against the bite.
Out along the frozen canal - inch-thick ice shattered by boats & re-frozen: a track in water. Down to ditch-side willows I put up a Woodcock - it rises, legs dangling. Then a Snipe goes up into the sun, keeps on going, then circles & dives for cover. Over the north horizon three Buzzards jostle between crackling power lines. On a big willow a Great-spotted woodpecker perches at the pinnacle.
A Robin in the hawthorn checks out a rival - it's a Tree sparrow. In a patch of sun-filled meadow a mixed flock of Starling, Fieldfare, Redwings & Blackbirds progress. An owl pellet under an ash - grey fur & cream bones. From the hedge a Bullfinch moves off discreetly but cannot resist one fluty note.
In the grass a single drop of ice-melt bends sunlight into a minute rainbow: a tiny sphere of fire.
Along the river the "Green sand." pool is an ice sheet. No waders. Even the ox-bow lakes are frozen. The alders hold a Goldfinch flock quietly feeding. Amongst them a single Siskin.
Then, in the quiet, a Green woodpecker "yaffles" nearby. The sound echoes in frost. I don't see it. The Ring-necked parakeet clambers in a beech.
Past the frozen duck-deserted ponds. Nuthatches calling.
To the waterwheel to check for Kingfishers across turf so hard it rings under my boot. I'm reminded of my favourite line, "So I stuck my fork into the ringing ground and followed her, like doom."*
Running water but no Kingfisher.
I meet BF member Henerz1 & stop & chat awhile.
Three more Snipe & one Heron in the unfrozen stream - still no Green sandpipers though. Back across the river, the mill roof with its Grey wagtail. On the big yew a Goldcrest flicks & hovers. House sparrows chirp merrily. Today is a beautiful, bright day.

* First one to give the author/book? No prizes - its too easy.

Last edited:
Good to bump into you halftwo. I caught up with the Ring-necked Parakeet in the closest tree to the Obelisk, what a stunning bird. Photo attached. Not much else to add to your sightings but a Kingfisher flew along the ox-bow lake and a Lesser Redpoll was in trees with a few Siskins around the Obelisk briefly.
Thanks. Henry.

Attachments

• Ring-necked Parakeet.JPG
    Ring-necked Parakeet.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 63
I'm off to South Devon early friday. I'm hoping to be able to post via my daughter's laptop. If not I'll have to try to find a cyber cafe.
In case I don't get the chance I'll wish all readers (especially those who have PMed me recently) a Happy Christmas now, in case I can't later.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS all.:king:
Oh, and for those of the Muslim faith, HAPPY EID.:t:
H

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back