• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In an Island garden (1 Viewer)

I love my job!...But one of the drawbacks of being a Professional gardener is that at this time of year..... it's head down and get on with it. Tempting as it is to check out every movenment in the shrubberies, every unfamiliar tweet in the trees... if I did the work wouldn't get done! ..And after a 10 hour day enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.. the thought of "taking the evening air" somehow doesn't tempt me!

I don't know why I should apologise to you lot for being a crap birder... but there.. I just did!
Anyroad.. this Morning I caught sight of an unfamiliar LBJ on the rose pergola.. Immediately thought.. Redstart.. she flew across the lawn.. red tail glinting in the sunshine.. I took chase... lost her.. saw a wee brown thingy hopping around in the tree.. Redstart.. Nope... Garden warbler! ... two island firsts (for me) in 20 seconds!

73, Redstart.
74, Garden warbler.

You are not a cr*p birder, you are seeing far more different species at work, even if you aren't really trying, than I get to see in a year.:-O

You're doing really well with the warblers Quercus I still need a lot of them on Guernsey. I was more than slightly surprised to open the blinds at one of our hides this morning and find a spoonbill peering back at me at point blank range for #81.

You're doing really well with the warblers Quercus I still need a lot of them on Guernsey. I was more than slightly surprised to open the blinds at one of our hides this morning and find a spoonbill peering back at me at point blank range for #81.

That's what I need... Hides!

The award for "Migrant of the Day" goes to... drum roll... wait for it... rustling of gold envelope.... goes to... The Common Swift!.... The skies are full of them. I've been trying to spot the one with white bits.. but I went giddy and fell over!

I'm not used to swifts being totally silent... I thought they screached all the time!

no - tis quite uncommon except at breeding grounds in summer.
Actually, the scream is a melodious song - but at a speed you can't discern.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back