• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Okanagan British Columbia birds in August (1 Viewer)

CamS

I came accross some pictures I took a few years back on a trip before I was that big into birding. I am not from where I took the pictures, so I'm unfamiliar with the birds.

Date taken for and location for all these are August 14, 2016, Okanagan Lake Provincial Park, British Columbia, Canada.

This first one I put into Merlin Bird ID and it gave me Brewer's blackbird, though I want to make sure.

The second picture Merlin suggested a Bullock's Oriole? I think this is correct and it is a juvenile though I'm not certain.

The third bird I understand if no one can help me because the picture is nothing but a blur but perhaps based on the colour someone can help id this one.

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 16
  • unknown bird 2.png
    unknown bird 2.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 13
  • bird.JPG
    bird.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 29
Hi CamS,
it has been a while since I was in Okanagan territory, but I'll get the ball rolling:

1 Agree with juv Brewer's Blackbird
2 I think that this one is more likely to be a young female Baltimore Oriole
3 Just a guess: Male Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

1. Thanks for the confirmation

2.Looking at the ranges of both oriole species, and having taken the pictures in the very south of central BC, it falls in the range of the Bullock's Oriole but out of the Baltimore Oriole's range.

3. I only now recall seeing many Lewis's woodpecker in this location. This could be a possibilty as well

Thanks for the replies.

2.Looking at the ranges of both oriole species, and having taken the pictures in the very south of central BC, it falls in the range of the Bullock's Oriole but out of the Baltimore Oriole's range.

3. I only now recall seeing many Lewis's woodpecker in this location. This could be a possibilty as well

My apologies, I mixed up the ranges somehow. On range, Bullock's makes more sense

Thanks for the replies.

Lewis's Woodpecker differs in several ways from the one in your photo, which looks good for Northern Flicker.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back