• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle? Nampa, Idaho, USA (1 Viewer)

jnicholes

Hello,

So, I was doing some stuff around the house, when I heard a bunch of Eagle cries. After hearing three, I knew there was an Eagle fight going on outside. I went out and I saw them circling and fighting. I got a video and a picture of one of the Eagles. I am trying to find out what kind of eagles I saw fighting. Here is the picture:

Eagle.jpg

Can someone help me identify this bird? Is it even an Eagle? I am in Nampa, Idaho in the USA, by the way. The date is May 9th 2019, and the time I saw them was 11:25 AM.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jared

@aeshna5, You could be right. Do Hawks and Eagles sound similar? I could have mistaken the hawk for an eagle.

I'm also going through my bird ID books to try and figure out what it is.

Jared

@aeshna, I just went through my bird identification book. It looks like you're right. This may be a red-tailed hawk. The pictures, colors, wing profile, it's all a match.

Thanks for the help.

Jared

@aeshna5, You could be right. Do Hawks and Eagles sound similar? I could have mistaken the hawk for an eagle.

I'm also going through my bird ID books to try and figure out what it is.

Jared

Golden and Bald Eagles both give a variety of calls, some of which sound like some hawk calls, some of which sound more like a gull. None of them is particularly impressive, so Hollywood often substitutes the call of a Red-tailed Hawk for that of an eagle, the hawk call being more striking.

. . .Hollywood often substitutes the call of a Red-tailed Hawk for that of an eagle, the hawk call being more striking.

And not just for eagles but for Turkey Vultures as well (which, of course, are silent on the wing).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back