• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oh No, Not Another Binocular Advice Plea! (1 Viewer)

I was so tempted to just buy right then and there! I remembered the 8x Vanguard on Amazon was $120 less than the 10x, but the price there at the shop was the same for each power. Also, I have the $100 gift card at Amazon.

I highly recommend making a trip to Mendocino to see Marilyn at Out of This World (as a plus it is absolutely beautiful up there on the coast.)

Generally, my rule is if I use the services of a brick & mortar store like you did, I'll buy there unless their price is really out of line. And even then I'll come out and say if they can get close to the on-line price, I'll buy it there. Their service and time is worth something. Though I can see how $120 on top of $363 (33% increase) might be considered out of line. Did Marilyn say what the deal was?

I'm glad you were able to narrow it down. What you found was similar to what I've found -- there's a large personal preference factor that really can count for a lot when picking binoculars. It's not all about stats, as others have pointed out too.

Marc

From Scopeviews Reviews http://scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro10x40Habicht.htm

"So, I thought it was time I took a look at the last porro-prism binocular range from a premium manufacturer – Swarovski’s Habichts, specifically the 10x40 which should be good for both birding and astronomy. These don’t really count as a modern porro-prism design, though, because they are based on a sixty year old model. But what they are is a porro-prism binocular built to the highest standards, in the same Austrian factory as Swarovski’s other products. (I’m afraid that Nikon’s EIIs – now made in Malaysia – don’t count as premium on either front, design or manufacture, good though they are.)"

Scopeviews has an impressive and well designed website.

The Austrian made Swarovski Habicht Porro prisms are highlighted in it. A comment is casually tossed off in the 3rd paragraph that the popular Nikon 8x30 EII and 10x35 EII, Japanese made Porro prism binoculars with impeccable reputations are now made in Malaysia.

If one is going to make such a statement in it that one of Nikon's most famous and popular binoculars are made in Malaysia and "don't count as premium..... anymore," one should provide proof of it.

Otherwise it is just a fancy way of spreading rumors!

Bob

Last edited:
If not in a rush I would look for used binoculars in the 10x42 configuration, but first go to a local store or on a bird outing and be sure that the 10x work for you. I get more magnification but a less stable image when I hand hold my 10x43 binoculars. I have saved 50% on used optical equipment and when I buy a new item and then sell it I figure on getting 50% of the price for a new item.

There are also some 8.5 and 9 power binoculars which are worth considering as well, including the Pentax 9x42 that sell new for $300 and the Kowa 8.5x44 that sell new for $1,350 but used I would expect to pay a great deal less.

In the $500 to $900 price range it is hard to beat the Nikon Monarch 5 and Monarch 7 binoculars. Owners love the Nikon Monarch 5 10x42 binoculars that sell new for $300. The Monarch 7 version sells for under $500.

In the $500 to $900 price range it is hard to beat the Nikon Monarch 5 and Monarch 7 binoculars. Owners love the Nikon Monarch 5 10x42 binoculars that sell new for $300. The Monarch 7 version sells for under $500.

Tract Toric UHD is much better than either Nikon.

Why not buy there, and use the Amazon card later or resell it?

I'm sure that shop will try to help you out a bit on price if you explain things and stand behind you if you need to swap your new binos or need help with them.

More importantly, it's usual to test a pair before buying it, binocular samples vary a lot.

Edmund

I really wanted to. I left because I had to get to work, but I was under the impression I would be there overnight and thought I could return before they closed. I ended up getting a call from work saying to return to Sacramento. I was really bummed. It's 4.5 hours from my house, so it's not like I'm up there often. Marilyn was so helpful.

Generally, my rule is if I use the services of a brick & mortar store like you did, I'll buy there unless their price is really out of line. And even then I'll come out and say if they can get close to the on-line price, I'll buy it there. Their service and time is worth something. Though I can see how $120 on top of $363 (33% increase) might be considered out of line. Did Marilyn say what the deal was?

I'm glad you were able to narrow it down. What you found was similar to what I've found -- there's a large personal preference factor that really can count for a lot when picking binoculars. It's not all about stats, as others have pointed out too.

Marc

I have the same rule. I like to support brick and mortar business, especially good ones. If the 8x hadn't looked so similar I probably would've just bought the 10x right there. But I knew the 8x was $120 cheaper on Amazon...that's asking a lot of a merchant to come close to that (though I should've tried I suppose.) I see that the suggested retail is the same for both pair, so I'm not sure why they were so cheap on Amazon.

Anyway, I feel bad about the whole deal. She helped me and I didn't buy from her. Crappy. But in my defense it was unforeseen.

I have the same rule. I like to support brick and mortar business, especially good ones. If the 8x hadn't looked so similar I probably would've just bought the 10x right there. But I knew the 8x was $120 cheaper on Amazon...that's asking a lot of a merchant to come close to that (though I should've tried I suppose.) I see that the suggested retail is the same for both pair, so I'm not sure why they were so cheap on Amazon.

Anyway, I feel bad about the whole deal. She helped me and I didn't buy from her. Crappy. But in my defense it was unforeseen.

You might send her an email thanking her for helping you and explaining about the $120. If that really is a new price, something fishy might be going on, like it's an import or something.

Actually, when I look at Amazon now, it shows that $324 price is a used price from Amazon Warehouse.

Marc

Good idea Marc.

I actually got the last one. I don't think the price reflects a change in pricing for the model. The price is always up to the seller, which in this case may just be the factory or the company themselves. They also could be using repricing software and maybe one hadn't sold in a while.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back