• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A lot of Blackcap this year (1 Viewer)

trw

So far I've found 34 Blackcap on separate territories in the patches I've covered in South Cumbria this year- a lot more than normal. I'm not sure if this reflects the national trend.
All being well it will be a good year for them.

Last edited:
Good year for them in southeast Northumbs too; also, more surprisingly (as it's a long distance migrant, and they're in general not doing well) a good year for Garden Warblers in southeast Northumbs as well :t:

Good year for them in southeast Northumbs too; also, more surprisingly (as it's a long distance migrant, and they're in general not doing well) a good year for Garden Warblers in southeast Northumbs as well :t:

Same here for Garden Warbler too[ and Common Whitethroat].
The 34 Blackap I've found this year is unprecendented. I tend to cover the same areas most years and would generally expect to maybe half that number.

Last edited:
Same here for Garden Warbler too[ and Common Whitethroat].
The 34 Blackap I've found this year is unprecendented. I tend to cover the same areas most years and would generally expect to find less than half that number.

Concur! however Willow Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat appear to be still steadily declining in my area. :-C

Concur! however Willow Warbler and Lesser Whitethroat appear to be still steadily declining in my area. :-C

Good to hear it's the same down your way.
Willow Warbler are doing fine this year, up here, as far as I can tell. Did a 5.5 mile round walk in one area and counted 51.

Last edited:
Appear to be heaps more Blackaps than usual round here too. Also Greenfinches and House Sparrows on the up. Rubbish for most other things though, especially aerial insectivores

Appear to be heaps more Blackaps than usual round here too. Also Greenfinches and House Sparrows on the up. Rubbish for most other things though, especially aerial insectivores

I haven’t seen a single Greenfinch (or heard) locally this year, still haven’t had House Sparrow either (from house and garden), however If I go into central London...I get both! :eek!:

seem to have a mini population explosion of house sparrows around my garden this year. A lot of young birds after a bit of a lull last year. Also the blue tits seem to be doing better this year.

I agree with the blackcaps, there seems to be a lot around everywhere this year. lets hope this is the start of an upward trend.

seem to have a mini population explosion of house sparrows around my garden this year. A lot of young birds after a bit of a lull last year. Also the blue tits seem to be doing better this year.

I agree with the blackcaps, there seems to be a lot around everywhere this year. lets hope this is the start of an upward trend.

Good to hear about your House Sparrow.
We're inundated with House Sparrow in our garden and it's costing a fortune in bird feed. Suplemented by a pair of Tree Sparrow.
Greenfinch on the up around here. It's good to hear and see them more often. They'd dropped off drastically over the past few years.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back