• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Halftwo's Decameron (1 Viewer)

High Tide Spectacular

Parkgate, Wirral. Seasonal highest tide.

Gradually at first the tide filled the voids - then, towards high water mark, quicker and deeper. The sea came to visit.

From the off Hen harriers and Peregrines kept the increasing crowds pleased, as did the obliging Spoonbill just out front. JB and I had got there fairly early and, with hypothermia an ever present danger, stayed until the sea started to lap the wall.

In the meantime the birds, as well as hail, just kept on coming; more and more in ever greater numbers, forced from dwindling land, closer and closer. A female Merlin snook in to perch by the Spoonbill, with its attendant Little egret and, in front, on the pool, two Red-breasted mergansers. Waders in drifts and flocks crept closer, ducks and geese darkened the horizon: Pink-feet and Teal, Shelduck, Mallard, Pintail, Wigeon. Black-tailed godwits, Oystercatchers and Curlews in hundreds, so too Lapwings, plus Snipe, Redshank and Dunlin.

But it was the raptors that had drawn the crowds - and they didn't disappoint. Perched Peregrines - two and three, a Sparrowhawk, Kestrels - including a noisily mating pair, a single Marsh harrier keeping its distance - but pushed closer by the rising tide.

Sky larks and Meadow pipits, Reed buntings and Linnets, Starlings in crowds; and ever more gulls and corvids kept piling the numbers to biblical proportions. It began to get to the stage when there was too much to watch!

The Short-eared owls kept us waiting - but suddenly they were all around - right in front and perched too. Two here, another there. A Fox, forced towards the crowd, already full from fleeing voles, froze in the freezing sea, belly deep, unable to get to shore for the people. Small animals swam by.

Then the mammals came in. Voles and Common shrews, at first a few, then scores, could be seen swimming towards us. Black-headed, Common and Great black-backs began picking the frantic animals from the water and feasting and fighting. Masses of birds filled the air. Two Ravens fed on voles right beside us, while a Short-eared owl flew around.

Snipe with nowhere left to go, Moorhens without cover, a sea of wildlife on the drowned shore. Skies full - a panic every minute as raptors continued to slice and quarter the brimfull estuary.

With a quick thaw-break (oh, hot soup!) we left the hundreds of others and had a look at Inner Marsh Farm, thinking the place would be crowded with waders - but waders there were none, save for a few Lapwing - and a fly-past Golden plover flock. At the estuary nearby two more Hen harriers, another SEO and plenty more - but the light was against us.

Finally to fields near Shotwick and a lovely sunlit flock of mixed swans: Whoopers and Bewicks in roughly even numbers, totalling eighty-seven. Great close views in early evening light - a brilliant way to end a spectacular day.

Oh, and in case you were anxious for the Fox - an organised retreat was later mounted to allow the frightened animal a way to shore. If I was feeling cold today that poor thing up to its chest in freezing waters must be one hardy hunter.

Last edited:
Another super description of what sounds like an amazing high tide spectacle H.........'too much to watch'.......'of Biblical proportions'. I was in my mind there with you .................gotta feel a little sorry for those small mammals with nowhere to go though.

Raptor Watch At High Tide, Parkgate, Wirral

If you've never seen one of these events, and you get the chance to go - go !

One of the most remarkable natural phenomena you will ever witness.

Awesome.

If you've never seen one of these events, and you get the chance to go - go !

One of the most remarkable natural phenomena you will ever witness.

Awesome.

You didn't know what you've been missing then John?

PS It's even better when you get your feet wet ;)

Last edited:
Another super description of what sounds like an amazing high tide spectacle H.........'too much to watch'.......'of Biblical proportions'. I was in my mind there with you .................gotta feel a little sorry for those small mammals with nowhere to go though.

Thanks, Joanne.
We did feel for the voles etc. especially as they'll go through it all again at midnight & tomorrow (though today's was the highest.)

Great Patch Day

After a promising start to a bright day in the garden - with a Lesser redpoll and five Tree sparrows, and a Greater 'pecker coming to my feeders, plus three Greenfinches (really scarce this winter), the afternoon walk proved rather superb.

Away from the crowds towards the Greensand pool the birding began. Redwings and Mistle thrushes were feeding on the wet meadows - meadows suddenly strewn with spiders' webs!
Closing on trees as the thrushes moved away a Green woodpecker got up from the turf to land on the alder - back exactly coloured as the lichen-covered trunk, red cap a bright patch in the green. Four Greater 'peckers squabbled over territories, calling churrs and sharp notes as they raised their crowns and jerked up and around boughs.

A pair of Treecreepers crept quietly and nearly unnoticed, then a hundred Jackdaws took flight from a field opposite in an explosion of noise.

It was as I was scanning for the possible raptor that might have put the corvids up that I saw four gulls heading west. One was white-winged!
A flight view of an adult, or perhaps third winter, Iceland gull, heading away now, was a superb patch tick, the other gulls with it were Herrings.

I strode the river bank beside my long shadow - more gulls up ahead, feeding in the field, more dropping down. The muddy river shore told of Moorhen and Mink. There were ten Common gulls with the Black-heads - a patch record, I think. A Jay screamed as a Buzzard sailed above it.

To the wood. Long-tailed tits' "trtrtrtrrtr"-ings and "ss-ss-ss"-ings suddenly silenced for a second, then crescendoed as the first of two Woodcock were flushed by my shadow and flew owlishly through the trees. Yellow flag and Celandines showing through in this Spring-like day.

Three Siskins flew in. Then, fast and direct, three Goosander passed high!
The day's only Nuthatch clambered energetically around dead limbs in an oak, and the third Treecreeper bounced underneath a branch, before sounding alarm and hiding in the under-crook of trunk and bough. There it remained for five minutes, unmoving, while danger passed - a Kestrel going to its tree hole home - then it continued to feed just where it sat, probing bark and snapping up spiders.

In the heronry's trees two Grey herons perched high as Starlings' whistles sounded. A Fallow deer stag watched my passing.

As a huge orange sun set a single Snipe sitting by the creek doubled the wader count, and chattering Fieldfares closed the day.

Last edited:
Parkgate, Wirral. Seasonal highest tide.

Oh, and in case you were anxious for the Fox - an organised retreat was later mounted to allow the frightened animal a way to shore. If I was feeling cold today that poor thing up to its chest in freezing waters must be one hardy hunter.

You read my mind. I'm happy to hear that people gave the poor thing an out. I hope it wasn't so delayed that the fox will suffer long term. I think the spectacle would have been too much for me. I was upset just reading your vivid description.
Sue

You read my mind. I'm happy to hear that people gave the poor thing an out. I hope it wasn't so delayed that the fox will suffer long term. I think the spectacle would have been too much for me. I was upset just reading your vivid description.
Sue

Hi Sue,

There's a Fox related thread here (with photos) that tells the full story - some thought it had perished - but others saw it get up and run away later.

I'll be looking out for your threads and blogs now you're on air again.

H

Blackcap

A beautiful morning in the garden: sun warming, sky blueing. Signs of spring: bulbs coming up, Snowdrops almost fully out, Magpies building, a female Kestrel possibly prospecting the church steeple - and getting serious hassle from the Jackdaws which reside there, Stock doves displaying, Greenfinch singing...

I was just about to put another nest box up, in the hope that the Tree sparrows might move in, when a female Blackcap caught my eye, flitting around the garden. Not a winter garden tick - but nice to see in February anyway.

That brings the garden year list to 45.

That's quite a garden year list H. Can I ask what your garden's life list is, and what are some of the highlights? The garden list for the last house we lived in made it to a whopping 4 species. A few more if you include fly-overs though.

Hi Larry,

With the recent addition of Woodcock the total is now 101. That includes all stuff seen & heard from the garden - not just in the garden. (I don't count Feral pigeon on any list.)
Highlights have been fly-through Kingfishers, Merlin; flyover Short-eared owl, Red kite, White-fronted & Pink-footed goose, and Goosander.
Most unlikely (as I'm c.20 miles inland) was a Kittiwake, post-storm!
Lesser 'pecker and Tree pipit are two that stand out. A spring visit for about a minute by two Tree pipits was almost surreal.
A Redshank that flew around the local school's playground (presumably mistaking concrete for water) was a real goody - I don't have Redshank on my patch list otherwise!
Fly-past Med gull and flyover Osprey stick in the mind!
And of course Christmas 08's forty or so Waxwings were incredible.
Corn buntings used to be regular in or around the garden, as did Spot fly & Cuckoo - but all difficult lately.
And, considering their extreme rarity in Cheshire - a Marsh tit passing through one day blew me away.
Lesser whitethroat on just two occasions, and a Brambling once.
And mustn't forget the regular Hobbies.

Those Tree sparrows were prospecting both the old and the new nestbox this morning - while the Great spot head-banged on the next tree, and the Magpie continues her nest building.

ATB,

H

Edit: garden year list now 46 - Jay.

Last edited:
Garden Domination

It's a battlefield out there. This morning (hail overnight, 1c) there was a Wood pigeon shooing off a Stock dove, a Carion crow seeing off a Jackdaw, Blackbirds squabbling as usual; but the battle for nest space went on and on.

As the Magpie continues her marathon nest-building session, the House sparrows and Tree sparrows took up strategic positions around the two nestboxes in the oak tree.
First a Tree sparrow would perch close by one, his mate nearby - quickly followed by one, then two, then three House sparrows moving closer to the box. The Tree sparrow then goes to the top of the box, so does one of the House sparrows.
The Tree sparrow enters the hole and sits half-in, half-out, singing away, which clearly wound up the House sparrows. A fight ensues and the dominant House sparrows make the Trees clear off. But not for long - soon the strategy begins again.

I hope that the newer box's hole might be too small for the House sparrows - but I'm yet to find out if it's not too small for the Trees. Adjustment might have to made.

In the meantime a Skylark flew over, calling, making the garden year total 47.

A beautiful morning in the garden: sun warming, sky blueing. Signs of spring: bulbs coming up, Snowdrops almost fully out, Magpies building, a female Kestrel possibly prospecting the church steeple - and getting serious hassle from the Jackdaws which reside there, Stock doves displaying, Greenfinch singing...

I was just about to put another nest box up, in the hope that the Tree sparrows might move in, when a female Blackcap caught my eye, flitting around the garden. Not a winter garden tick - but nice to see in February anyway.

That brings the garden year list to 45.
The reward for making it through a harsh winter is spring. Everything smells new and vital and it is a great thing to witness Mother Nature stirring after a long winter's sleep. I am glad things are warming up for you H, I won't have to feel so guilty everytime I'm out birding in the steamy jungle.
Sue

Hi Larry,

With the recent addition of Woodcock the total is now 101. That includes all stuff seen & heard from the garden - not just in the garden. (I don't count Feral pigeon on any list.)
Highlights have been fly-through Kingfishers, Merlin; flyover Short-eared owl, Red kite, White-fronted & Pink-footed goose, and Goosander.
Most unlikely (as I'm c.20 miles inland) was a Kittiwake, post-storm!
Lesser 'pecker and Tree pipit are two that stand out. A spring visit for about a minute by two Tree pipits was almost surreal.
A Redshank that flew around the local school's playground (presumably mistaking concrete for water) was a real goody - I don't have Redshank on my patch list otherwise!
Fly-past Med gull and flyover Osprey stick in the mind!
And of course Christmas 08's forty or so Waxwings were incredible.
Corn buntings used to be regular in or around the garden, as did Spot fly & Cuckoo - but all difficult lately.
And, considering their extreme rarity in Cheshire - a Marsh tit passing through one day blew me away.
Lesser whitethroat on just two occasions, and a Brambling once.
And mustn't forget the regular Hobbies.

Those Tree sparrows were prospecting both the old and the new nestbox this morning - while the Great spot head-banged on the next tree, and the Magpie continues her nest building.

ATB,

H

Edit: garden year list now 46 - Jay.
Your garden sounds magical, H. I would really love to see a Wood-cock or a snipe.
Sue

Your garden sounds magical, H.
Sue

-4c this morning, and foggy! Not so ideallic.
Caught up with your blog last night - I've had similar ant-related experinces!
Glad you have the a/c going.

H

Edit: IDEALLIC?! Did I make up a word there?

Last edited:
halftwo;1734683 Glad you have the a/c going. H Edit: IDEALLIC?! Did I make up a word there?[/QUOTE said:
The electricity in the marina has been on and off since Gene hooked it up.:-C It was off for hours today. I'm back to the spray bottle and hand fan I bought in Bali.:-O Great new word.
Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back