• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Halftwo's Decameron (1 Viewer)

That's OK, A. (but, what about Wren?)
Had a similar experience re Canadas the other day. Sure to get them sooner or later.
Today, despite the weather being much better - Buzzards up displaying, a pair of Bullfinches showing nicely at the back of the garden etc., I failed to add any more to the list. I'm still waiting for the Moorhens to call from the canal.

Early morning vigil paid off today - the usual (and more unusual) gulls commuting (uprecedented Herring gull numbers continue their theme this winter, with several passing; so far this year there have been as many as in all past years combined.)

As the Song thrush belts out its chorus it includes an impressive mimic of Oystercatcher - predicting their return sometime soon.
But it was another wader that actually got on the garden year list, when a small flock of four...

50. Curlew

came past.

Well done with curlew halftwo, thats a bird im still waiting to get on my garden list. There is a flock of 50+ about 1/2 mile away which feed on derwenthaugh water meadows, so maybe one day soon? went out for a local walk today and had two skylarks within scoping distance of mine also the local buzzards are on the move again, so it shouldnt be to long before i tick a buzzard. Ofcourse when i found the skylarks i had to rub it in by texting mouldy! :-O

cheers
steve:t:

Yes the Buzzards are displaying at mine - had six in the air together yesterday.

Well, today got even better later on: went out for 15 mins before work & heard

51: Green woodpecker!

On the way to work a flock of Lapwings with a single Golden plover - which are so scarce this winter.

Three

52. Reed buntings

just close enough to id. this morning made up for a quiet day. The Buzzards were displaying right above me as the sun shone.

Sunset vigil: Song thrush doing his Oystercatcher uncannily well - with the odd Curlew and Green sandpiper thrown in - or maybe I'm halucinating.
But the seven or eight pre-roost Tree sparrow gathering was a good number - to roost early in the large Leylandii next door.

Just as I shut the curtains on the birding day a huge bird flying low overhead could not be missed:

53. Mute swan.

Geese & Raptors Galore

Sunshine: frost fast melting - minus three to plus seven in a couple of hours.

And, at home, Curlews over - either one three times or three once! Then a frustrating sighting: a chat/robin flyover that was possibly a Stonechat - even saw the wing flashes - at twice tree top height - as though it was looking to land on the hedge. Then it was attacked by a Chaffinch and absconded, never to be seen again.

That would have been a garden tick if I'd seen it well enough!

And so I took myself off to the Lancashire mosslands, inland from Southport, where reports and pictures on BF promised a Tundra Bean Goose or two.

Busy fields in preparation for a new crop of carrots and spuds, deep furrows in dark peat, where the sun encouraged a contrasting white veil to rise from the black land. And there were geese, in hundreds, if not thousands; many rising and heading north-west.

As I scanned the nearest birds a Merlin zoomed through and landed on a bank not far away. Pink-feet were sitting and walking, calling and flying all around, but fortunately the Bean goose showed right out as near as any goose.

More and more took off and flew far away. I decided on a safari around some of the almost-foreign-looking landscape of the moss. Soon Lapwings were a smoke line up from the ground - and the cause: a Peregrine high and fast to the south west. Then a Merlin, perhaps the same one as before, was perched up not far in front of me, and I approached to within 75 ms in the car as she sat on a low shrub, before flying around me and then off to hunt.

She treated me to a spectacular display of aerial prowess, as, having picked out a Skylark from a flock, she rose with it, jinking at it and trying to keep above it as they both gained height.

But the Skylark was her match and with a final swerve and sudden flick upward as the falcon dived, it was above the Merlin and the raptor gave up to glide away.

Buzzards were tilting up into the big sky, flashing in the sun - and now a Peregrine was perched in front of me. Again I approached, passing a ditch with Teal and Mallards, and two Little egrets.

This falcon was a huge pale brown immature female Peregrine, lightly streaked over her bulging crop - she had just eaten - and her mantle and wing colour was unlike any Peregrine I've seen before. I got within 100 ms of her - as a male Sparrowhawk went right past - causing her to swivel her head. The hawk hugged the ground and I let him go to watch the Peregrine again.
Now she took off as I got too close - first stretching her broad wings and barred tail - if it wasn't for the broad blodge of her moustachials she would have had me thinking Gyr! As it is I wonder if she was a pure Peregrine.

A Kestrel perched on a plough completed the falcon trio and I left a happy man.

You paint such a vivid picture, H. Isn't is funny how we can have 'family' days? On my last few days, I had a day of trogons, then a raptor day, then an icterid day. Of course there are other birds but it just seems that occasionally you get days laden with a specific family.

Ooh, Trogon days! They are superb aren't they?

Had a few of those in Costa Rica - a lot easier to see than those in Asia.

Been warm here today - even saw a Merc with its roof down! At last the sun seems to have an effect.

Quick look/listen added

55 : Canada goose - a few flyovers.

The Song thrush continues to do his Curlew & Oystercatcher repertoire, he still has me fooled sometimes, so good is his mimicry.

Two at Once

Well, it's all gone quiet from the North-East of England - hope you are both alright, Alan & Steve?

Meanwhile, back in Cheshire, a half hour or less in the garden has produced two more for the Garden Year List.

Whilst listening to the first

56 : Goldcrest

singing for the year the Black-headed gulls were going berserk to he south: there were several Buzzards up - but that wasn't enough for the kind of panic that was going on.

Then, with four circling buteos was the unmistakable shape of a

57 : Peregrine,

keeping company with the larger raptors, before peeling off to go for something - but all too far away to see what.
The Pied wagtail seems to have returned to its school playground/roof territory - third sighting today - and the Blackbirds have taken over singing from the Song thrushes - though the Curlew-mimic still has a go every now and then.

Plan A

Just a bit speechless in awe of your blossoming garden list H. ;):t:

A.

Speechless! in awe!
Mouldy
i wont be so tender tongued, you should know by the abusive texts you get everytime you get a new garden tick :-O heres the plan!

Halftwo
i hear theres a adult baltic gull in chesire, heres the directions - 2.5mls sw of warrington in mersey estuary on richmond bank also glaucous gull. |:D|
cheers steve
Mouldy
that should keep halftwo away from his garden for the day :t: :-O

Last edited:
Didn't get too excited about the Baltic gull - but the garden didn't turn up anything else anyway.
Beautiful this am - but -6c. Nothing unusual to report yet.

Quote from Halftwo on Jos's pages.... but didn't want to hi-jack his!....

""Yes, 'tis a strange March so far.
Been looking at my notebooks for the past few years - honeybees on March 1st, eg.

Still no Mipit movement, virtually no buntings anywhere, Kingfishers & Grey wagtails still absent. And yet the sparrows are nesting!

Haven't seen a Hare in weeks, nor a Grey partridge, even the Fieldfares & Redwings are fewer now. Forecast is for similar for days to come."

Last week we had hundreds of Mippits here... and Portland Obsevertory reported flocks of them coming in off the sea.... they are on their way... but I'm really not surprised they're late this year!

Thanks for the forecast of Mipit droves heading this way, Q.

-7 c or even less this morning! Very quiet so far. Rival Greater 'peckers drumming.

Hi H, I'm falling behind you on this years garden list......can only add:

49) Canada Goose
50) Peregrine

Last edited:
Hi H, I'm falling behind you on this years garden list......can only add:

49) Canada Goose
50) Peregrine

No doubt your southerly position should bring the migrants past yours, before mine, Joanne.

Yep reached -7.5°C this morning Halftwo. Only 5-6 weeks till your Hobbies get back!
CB

Yes, about seven weeks - I'll be back from Thailand just in time!

Though very cold first thing it actually reached about 10 c today - which brought the year's first honey bees! Suddenly the snowdrops & crocusses were busy with a buzzin.
Watched a Tree sparrow take a feather into one of the nestboxes today - obviously nearly finished on the build.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back