• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A little bit of this, a little bit of that (1 Viewer)

There was a Pied Wagtail on the roof of one of the garages this morning. In the gloomy snowlight it seemed to have changed colour and I was hoping it was going to be a Black Redstart. Bit disappointed tbh.

edit: sorry to have hijacked your thread HE by discussing birds (and mine at that.)

Last edited:
And deprive everyone of our inane banter?

Inane? Us? Perish the thought.

Not being terribly culturally aware, I needed to google that Dylan Moran blokey. And c'mon... he's not that much of a looker. ;)

For anyone who'd like to know about birds, I am snowed in at home and can see at this very moment... [pauses]... Blackbird, House Sparrow, Starling, Redshank, Turnstone, Hooded Crow, Great Black-backed Gull and Curlew.

Oh, and a pony's bum, and a lame sheep.

ce

Inane? Us? Perish the thought.

Not being terribly culturally aware, I needed to google that Dylan Moran blokey. And c'mon... he's not that much of a looker. ;)

For anyone who'd like to know about birds, I am snowed in at home and can see at this very moment... [pauses]... Blackbird, House Sparrow, Starling, Redshank, Turnstone, Hooded Crow, Great Black-backed Gull and Curlew.

Oh, and a pony's bum, and a lame sheep.

ce

Show off. I've popped home for lunch and I can see a Robin and a Blackbird. :-(

p.s. Yes, he is. Very cute. :)

And deprive everyone of our inane banter?

I think I've just spotted another spelling error/typo... ;)

I believe Dantheman is correct. :D

Were I to be snowed in at home right now (ha, I wish!), my birding opportunities would be similar in scope, if not specifics, to HE2's. Three or four spp., ('Chickpea', Junco, Cardinal, HOSP) is about the sum of what's in my garden at the moment (not at all a good year for 'irruptives' here in Canada).

Add one more if one of the local hawks tried to come in for a meal. (This probably happens regularly, just not home to see it.)

Show off. I've popped home for lunch and I can see a Robin and a Blackbird. :-(

But you're really jealous of the lame sheep and the pony bum, aren't you?

Have added further window-watching species to the day-list: Cormorant, Shag, Mallard, Herring Gull, Kittiwake, Gannet, Rock Dove, Rock Pipit, Twite, Lapwing, Ringed Plover and in a piece of outrageous long distance stringing, Greylag Goose (about 2 miles away, but there are 80 of them, they're goose-shaped against the snow, and they're in a field that's held geese for the past few weeks). Can't see a Raven for love or money, annoyingly, and the sea's too choppy for auk or diver finding.

ce

Good lord, what's been going on here then?

Get out birding the lot of you!

Managed to drag myself away from the computer, off to the other side of Falmouth and managed to find a couple of real Black Redstarts, not just imaginary ones. Including a cracking male.

Somewhat more surprising was coming across 2 Whimbrel. Obviously, summer's on its way ...... ;)

Last edited:
I suggest you look in the dictionary ;)

No need, no need ...

Inane is plenty good enough, just think 'insane' may have been even more appropriate lol. (I think Peter agrees with me ... )

(And will probably get shot down by the word police now for repetition ... ;) )

o:D

But you're really jealous of the lame sheep and the pony bum, aren't you?

Have added further window-watching species to the day-list: Cormorant, Shag, Mallard, Herring Gull, Kittiwake, Gannet, Rock Dove, Rock Pipit, Twite, Lapwing, Ringed Plover and in a piece of outrageous long distance stringing, Greylag Goose (about 2 miles away, but there are 80 of them, they're goose-shaped against the snow, and they're in a field that's held geese for the past few weeks). Can't see a Raven for love or money, annoyingly, and the sea's too choppy for auk or diver finding.

ce

There was a Dunnock in my garden this morning. So there. :)

Well, I did actually get out and do a wee bit of birding yesterday. Was driving over to Corby to see the man and noticing that there was still a bit of light left (spring is acoming in), I decided to take a detour to look for the Red Kite roost. I nearly regretted this 2 minutes off the road when my wheels were spinning outrageously on a snowy slope after slowing down in order not to kill a pheasant (next time, the bird gets it). But I made the rest of the few miles without incident and parked in a snowy layby. En route, I added a few year ticks

43. Meadow Pipit
44. Common Buzzard

The first couple of Kites were already visible over the wood and over the next few minutes more arrived. They did a bit of an aerial dance over one wood and then flew over my head to do a further dance over the next one before descending. I saw a grand total of 15 in the air all at once. Not quite the 100 promised by the RSPB but still darn good, nevertheless.

There was a Kite bullying a crow over the car park at the gym this morning too. Kites, just peasy. :)

I believe Dantheman is correct. :D

Were I to be snowed in at home right now (ha, I wish!), my birding opportunities would be similar in scope, if not specifics, to HE2's. Three or four spp., ('Chickpea', Junco, Cardinal, HOSP) is about the sum of what's in my garden at the moment (not at all a good year for 'irruptives' here in Canada).

Add one more if one of the local hawks tried to come in for a meal. (This probably happens regularly, just not home to see it.)

Three of those would be lifers for me, though. I think, anyway, since I don't actually know what the heck a 'Chickpea' is in a birding context, and I'm guessing that a HOSP is a House Sparrow?

Three of those would be lifers for me, though. I think, anyway, since I don't actually know what the heck a 'Chickpea' is in a birding context, and I'm guessing that a HOSP is a House Sparrow?

A Chickadee??

HOSP - what about this one?... Possibly what will happen to the participants if the fight ever comes off?!

;)

Last edited:
There was a Dunnock in my garden this morning. So there. :)

Ouch! I haven't seen a Dunnock for over a year...

But... today's highlights were a nice Scandinavian type Jackdaw on the fence behind the house, a cracking male Long-tailed Duck in the bay below the house, and 3 Great Northern Divers a little further out. Oh, and lots of Black Guillemots.

But a Dunnock... am proper jealous! ;)

ce

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back