• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous-winged Cisticola or Winding Cisticola (1 Viewer)

balbuzard26

Hello,

I took these two photos at the Lake Manyara in Tanzania. These are two different birds. Is it a Rufous-winged Cisticola or Winding Cisticola.
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 822771DSCN2132CisticoleduNil.jpg
    822771DSCN2132CisticoleduNil.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 876468DSCN2111CisticoleduNil.jpg
    876468DSCN2111CisticoleduNil.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 58
I think Winding Cisticola and Rufous-winged Cisticola are alternative names for Cisticola galactotes (aka Black-backed in Southern Africa).

So the answer to your question is, 'yes'.

Actually, Winding Cisticola has been splitted.

True Winding (Cisticola marginatus) are found in most of Tanzania, while Rufous-winged Cisticola (Cisticola galactotes) is NOT in Tanzania. In Tanzania, you find also Coastal Cisticola (Cisticola haematocephalus), but much further east.

As I told you on the forum of my website, those are Winding (Cisticola marginatus) and can't be Rufous-winged.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back