• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikkor 500mm f5.46pf lens - any users yet ? (1 Viewer)

Raptorash

Are there any UK based forum members who have experience of using the new Nikkor 500mm f5.6pf lens for bird photography yet ? In particular has anyone paired it with the TC-14III and can comment on how much image quality and autofocus is affected ?

I've seen nothing posted yet from this side of the Atlantic - all the users commenting seem to be in the States and are maybe using it in better light levels than good old autumn in the UK ?

I've got my deposit down, and am just waiting for a pre-order to be fulfilled !

Cheers in advance.

Using it in my imagination only

I have now reached the three month "anniversary" of placing my order for this lens. I know all good things are worth waiting for, but it does make you wonder what Nikon was thinking when it planned production of this lens.

I cannot really complain, as I have ample gear for my bird photography as it is. First World problems and all. But I will grouse a bit about the wait anyway. :stuck:

Perhaps I should wait for a while before selling my 200-500mm or I may end up with nothing to use in the meantime. Most places this side of the pond have it available for pre-order

I have now reached the three month "anniversary" of placing my order for this lens. I know all good things are worth waiting for, but it does make you wonder what Nikon was thinking when it planned production of this lens.

I cannot really complain, as I have ample gear for my bird photography as it is. First World problems and all. But I will grouse a bit about the wait anyway. :stuck:

Hopefully Nikon is focusing on delivering quality before quantity.

I am too very interested in this new lens and a TC but like you am waiting for any news. I am based in the Philippines nowadays and the camera shops here and service in general is pretty bad. Even getting one delivered is a big no no as things "get lost" in the post and or customs or customs decided they want the item and lay a massive tax charge on it so it is not worth collecting...
If it gets really good "real" reviews from everyday day birders then I will considered flying out to HK etc to buy one.
Following with interest.

I paired the 500 PF with the TC-17EII and the auto-focusing was very slow and had no luck with it for BIF (using a D500). Although to be honest, the autofocusing on the TC-17EII was a little slow on my other lens too. Need to save my pennies for a new TC-14EIII....
Compared to the 500mm F/4 AFS-II it replaced, it is incredibly light and easy to handle without a monopod. I highly recommend putting a 95mm protective filter on it if you do get the lens.
Attached are a couple of photos taken with the lens + D500. Other than cropping and setting image size, no post processing done to photos.

Attachments

• DSC_6885_lowres.jpg
    DSC_6885_lowres.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 309
  • DSC_7143_lowres.jpg
    DSC_7143_lowres.jpg
    986.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Dpreview full-res (and RAW Z6/Z7) sample shots from the Nikon 500 PF.

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/4990230596/nikon-af-s-500mm-f5-6e-pf-sample-gallery

Pretty dull and un-inspiring photos in mostly bad light.
Looking at the exposure data, it makes me wonder if the photographers know what
they are doing. I guess it's the downside with these kinds of test-shootings.
Z7 seems to generate quite a lot of noise at high iso as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the read. It sounds like an exciting lens. I ordered mine in October in. Japan and I'm still waiting. I hope the quality will be worth the wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back