• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African Reed Warbler (1 Viewer)

This devolved to a rather cheeky thread, but I don't want to pollute the forum by making another one.

So can I pretty please ask whether there are or are not any reliable methods to ID "ambiguus" Reed Warblers in the field?

This devolved to a rather cheeky thread, but I don't want to pollute the forum by making another one.

So can I pretty please ask whether there are or are not any reliable methods to ID "ambiguus" Reed Warblers in the field?

Get a faecal or feather sample and pay for DNA analysis.

Get a faecal or feather sample and pay for DNA analysis.

So that's a "no" on the field marks, right?

BTW. I just yesterday spoke with my friends who happen to be evolutionary biologists - people who do DNA analysis on a daily basis. I was discussing with them the potential for abusing their lab for animal ID and they were quite sceptical about the prospects of working from poop - yet it seems ornithologist do that all the time, which is interesting. We were talking about mammals though (where they said an easy way is to swab their mouth). More interestingly, they told us that affordable home devices for reasonably reliable DNA analysis are basically a few years away now :)

BTW. I just yesterday spoke with my friends who happen to be evolutionary biologists - people who do DNA analysis on a daily basis. I was discussing with them the potential for abusing their lab for animal ID and they were quite sceptical about the prospects of working from poop - yet it seems ornithologist do that all the time, which is interesting. We were talking about mammals though (where they said an easy way is to swab their mouth). More interestingly, they told us that affordable home devices for reasonably reliable DNA analysis are basically a few years away now :)

Every twitcher should have one (no need to wait for that pesky rarities committee to reject your sightings, a DIY method to improve the list, what's not to like?) ;)

You can even do it from urine sometimes with mammals including humans, it's dependant on cells being contained within the urine of faeces so I don't know why they would be sceptical?

You can even do it from urine sometimes with mammals including humans, it's dependant on cells being contained within the urine of faeces so I don't know why they would be sceptical?

It's probably just more work. As far as I understood, slipping the sample into the machine is just a cherry on top of a pie, the real work lies in preparing the sample so that the sequencing produces a useable result and the amount of work needed for that is very different depending on where the sample comes from.

Would anybody have the wing biometrics of African Reed Warbler to compare against A.scirpaceous?

Cheers

Would anybody have the wing biometrics of African Reed Warbler to compare against A.scirpaceous?

Cheers

From 'Chamberlain's LBJ's' by Faansie Peacock which states for Eurasian Reed 'Long winges extend past rump', conversely for African, 'Short wings do not pass rump'.

Here are the full measurements as given in this book.

Attachments

• rsz_p5250282.jpg
    rsz_p5250282.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 31
  • rsz_p5250283.jpg
    rsz_p5250283.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
No that doesn’t work as there could be overwintering European RW, the suggestion to go there in June is the advice to follow:t:

Why in June ? Will there not be European Reed Warbler there ?

Europeans will have moved through by then to breed further North, leaving just the Africans behind to breed there. I cheated a little and didn't quite wait till June; saw a couple seemingly on territory at La Rabida on 29th May.
Coming back to this - I'd not rely on this too much. I've many times known new territorial Reed Warblers (presumably first summers?) turn up at small 2nd-rate reedbeds (in northeast England) in late June where there were no birds earlier in the season. Still time for them to raise a single brood, at the same time as earlier-arriving established birds are raising their second brood. These late-arriving birds may well still be coming through Iberia well into June.

Last edited:
Coming back to this - I'd not rely on this too much. I've many times known new territorial Reed Warblers (presumably first summers?) turn up at small 2nd-rate reedbeds in late June where there were no birds earlier in the season. Still time for them to raise a single brood, at the same time as earlier-arriving established birds are raising their second brood. These late-arriving birds may well still be coming through Iberia well into June.

Was thinking something along the same lines. Also a bit unsatisfying to tick a bird when little effort was made to pick up on features, even if they are hard?

There was a pdf/paper online about 10 years ago on Moroccon Reed Warbler id - is that still around or was the info in it debunked?

Coming back to this - I'd not rely on this too much. I've many times known new territorial Reed Warblers (presumably first summers?) turn up at small 2nd-rate reedbeds (in northeast England) in late June where there were no birds earlier in the season. Still time for them to raise a single brood, at the same time as earlier-arriving established birds are raising their second brood. These late-arriving birds may well still be coming through Iberia well into June.

What about in July then Nutcracker?

Was thinking something along the same lines. Also a bit unsatisfying to tick a bird when little effort was made to pick up on features, even if they are hard?

There was a pdf/paper online about 10 years ago on Moroccon Reed Warbler id - is that still around or was the info in it debunked?

Please let me know the distinguishing features of the African Reed warbler please as i would not like to tick a bird with no effort.

From 'Chamberlain's LBJ's' by Faansie Peacock which states for Eurasian Reed 'Long winges extend past rump', conversely for African, 'Short wings do not pass rump'.

Here are the full measurements as given in this book.

Thanks Andy :t:

Please let me know the distinguishing features of the African Reed warbler please as i would not like to tick a bird with no effort.

;)

I was looking for the paper online but couldn't find it. I may have misremembered but I thought it was distinctly smaller, shorter pp (as mentioned), different plumage tones (darker?) and behaviourly - tendency to creep, as a suite of features. But really needs confirming ... !

;)

I was looking for the paper online but couldn't find it. I may have misremembered but I thought it was distinctly smaller, shorter pp (as mentioned), different plumage tones (darker?) and behaviourly - tendency to creep, as a suite of features. But really needs confirming ... !

Could you ID it if you thought you had seen one ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back