• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (6 Viewers)

I had an amazing 3 lifers in 3 days last weekend!
All in my home county of Cornwall, UK: Hawfinch on Saturday, Goshawk on Sunday, and Snow Bunting on Monday.

I don't get nearly as much opportunity to go out as I used to, so it really put a smile on my face this week!

Cheers,
Matt

I went out this afternoon to see my first White-winged Crossbills. I may have seen a female once before but I definately saw them this time.

Just back from Morocco where I managed 26 lifers but the last one was a real nail biter as we searched for it on the first two days on the 16 day trip without success then on the very last day of the tour, right towards the end of it, popped up a pair of Levaillant’s Green Woodpecker.

John

Just recently I went back to Texas and saw four more life birds. The Elf Owl was the most exciting as it emerged from a tree hole in the gathering dark.

Pintail last weekend was something i should have seen before.
A lot more exciting was 2 hoary redpolls a week before that, not very common around here.

If it wasn't for someone in a motorboat i would have my life snow and ross's goose too, someone had just reported them mixed in with the thousands of tundra swans and canvasbacks about a 5 minute drive from where I was with the naturalist's club, but when we got there the motorboat had scared away everything but a few mute swans and mallards.:-C:-C

Hi All

Having a quite a good year so far in regards to get those lifer ticks.
So far managing to bag Firecrest, Black Redstart, Crossbill (all of these as well in one day), Med Gull and Smew.

The most recent addition to the list being a Great Northern Diver at Carsington Reservoir in Derbyshire. A nice looking bird as well.

Tim.

Three lifers this last weekend ;

Brent Goose - Kilnsea
Mediterranean Gull - Holbeck
Great Grey Shrike - Wykeham Forest

Was aiming for 9 - ended up with 3 .......... 33% is quite successful for me, normally operate around 25% !!

Mal Skelton

Hello, I got a couple yesterday while doing my first steps in birding in Old Gamboa Road, Panamá.

The ones I saw where the Blue crowned Motmot, Rose breasted Grossbeak, three different caciques, the yellow billed cacique, scarlet rumped cacique and yellow rumped cacique, and if not mistaken a Northern Oriole. As I'm new to birdwatching, I forgot to pay a little bit more of attention to some details on the bird for better recognition, and the picture I took is not the best, as the bird was perched behind a branch. Anyways, I also so a squirrel cockoo :D Good day for birding I guess :D

On the basis that I only really started going out of my way to birdwatch and trying to ID things I saw last December, and that a 'life bird' is not so much the last new bird you saw as it is the last new bird you identified, mine would be a Wheatear yesterday at Rainham Marshes in Essex.

Exciting times :)

One's assessment of what constitutes a "life bird" is variable depending upon the individual's criterion used in making that assessment. For example, some people only count "self-found" birds, some count only those birds which they have identified themselves, some count those birds which they observe (either while birding by themselves or in a group of other birders).

For the purposes of this thread, my intent was to call a "life bird" one that you have observed in the wild for the first time. Also, one which you identified at the time (either by yourself or with some help from others) and which you could identify again should you see it at a later date.

Today I got two at the Aylmer Wildlife Management Centre in Aylmer Ontario.

Tundra Swan
Hooded Merganser

There were over 1000 Tundra Swans there.

had a veritable cornicopia of lifers her in Thailand, but my latest is the 'still to be described' "white-faced plover" at Laem Pak Bia...

Although I grew up in New Jersey, just recently got serious about birding, and now live in South Dakota. Back visiting parents this past weekend, and with the help of Stephennj, from the Forum, got 12 lifers, including:

Great Cormorant, Raritan River, New Brunswick, NJ

Life list :182
Most recent life birds: Canvasback, Monk Parakeet, Great Cormorant
Latest South Dakota bird: Snow Goose (127)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back