• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bird of the DAY? (1 Viewer)

colonelboris said:
Just seen one on my feeder (not too uncommon for us), but left and was quickly replced by a coal tit, which I haven't seen since January.

Hi Colonelboris -Unfortunately HS are in sorry decline in SE urban areas

Sure there wasn't a Lesser among that lot Tav? ;)

deborah4 said:

Quite right - that's why I'm surprised to see them in the garden as they never used to visit before.
It wasn't a brag, honest!
The numbers in the neighbour's hedge seem to have increased a fair bit over the last year - that and my dad's really let the garden go, which they seem to like.
If it's any consolation, we've never had a chaffinch in our garden that we've seen. My wife used to get a bit short with me getting excited about them when I first started this lark until I explained just how dead this area is at times.

Saying that, I have seen a chaffinch from the back garden that was about 70 yards away, but that's the closest and that was only last week.
Every now and again, my eyes manage to pick out something at a big distance, yet at others, I have my wife tapping me on the shoulder and saying 'You're treading on the ducks, love...'

deborah4 said:

Don't think the decline is restricted to SE urban areas either. Last spring we had between 4 and 6 occasionally visiting the feeding station. This year - just 2!

Mynydd Merlin said:
Don't think the decline is restricted to SE urban areas either. Last spring we had between 4 and 6 occasionally visiting the feeding station. This year - just 2!

If you've noticed a decline in Wales Mynydd, that is worrying - although it doesn't seem to have been a particularly good spring for songbirds all round this year while Jays, Jackdaws and Magpies seem particularly high in the local area.

A pair of Eleonora's circling above the house this evening sharing the hatch of insects with 8 Alpine swifts and a kestrel-brilliant!

deborah4 said:

All the Whitethroat i have seen this year have been the the common one have not seen a lesser yet this year there seem to be lots of Whitethroats on this part of the cost at the moment.

First observation of Turtle Dove in our province to me
and first singing Blyth's Reed Warbler of the season.

Best Birds of the Day have to go to the FIVE fledgling Great Tits who made their first manic appearance round the feeders this evening despite all odds :bounce:

(Love the young Hawk Owls btw Hannu - well done)

Dartford warblers, a tree pipit, a cuckoo and a heap of linnets and stonechats.
My cold woke me up at 4.30 this morning so I thought I'd make the most of actually being up at sunrise, not that you actually got to see it.
Just a shame that the light was so poor - would have got some nice photos.

Cuckoo for me today. Although, the brief view of a flying yellow bird, balckbird-sized was screaming Oriole at me. I'ld like to have the time to go out and refind it, but it's exam time. Rubbish

I was talking on the phone to my father yesterday evening when the local female Sparrowhawk flew towards the living room window clutching a bird in her talons - probably a juvenile Fieldfare as they're everywhere at the moment. There were about smaller 20 birds, mostly Fieldfares, in hot pursuit. At the last moment they all disappeared over the rooftop. My fiancée, who was in the kitchen, missed the whole thing and was not at all pleased.

Earlier in the day we had seen an Osprey, a Marsh Harrier and several Buzzards at my local patch but this was definitely the highpoint for me.
Graham

Last edited:
Peregrine today at Beachy Head.

My first ever which i watched perched for 15 minutes then flying for 10.

Excellent......except i had forgotten my camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back