• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collared or Semi-collared Flycatcher? - Romania (1 Viewer)

Cristian Mihai

Cristian Mihai
Bird saw yesterday in a park in Bucharest, Romania. Unfortunately I've got only one photo but I saw for a second that this male flycatcher had o kind of white collard. Question is was a Collared or a Semi-collared Flycatcher?

Attachments

• IMG_0745m.jpg
    IMG_0745m.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 229
Looks like a Collared Fly, with the big white patch on the forehead..admiring his reflection, and who wouldn't if you looked like that!

Sean

Hiroshima

The large white patch on the base of the primaries and forehead would suggest Collared.
It's a shame you did'nt get a side view which would have made things a lot easier.

Last edited:
The large white patch on the base of the primaries and forehead would suggest Collared,but could it be a Pied in your area.
It's a shame you did'nt get a side view which would have made things a lot easier.

It wasn't a Pied because ,as I said, I saw a white collar for a second, before the bird flew. The only alternative is (but I don't think so) a Semi-collared...

Hi Christian

As Sean and Bob have said, this is a Collared Flycatcher. A Semi-collared should show a smaller white forehead and, importantly, white tips to the median coverts forming a white wingbar above the large white wing patch. I guess you get both species in Romania?

With a year ago I received (from SOR - a local birding and bird conservation organization) a list with all the bird species found in Romania. I saw for the first time in this list the Semi-collared Flycatcher (Collared and Pied were known for long time as nesting birds in Romania). In my field guides the map for Semi-collared distribution indicate that this species could be found on the right (southern) bank of Danube. Danube river is the southern border for Romania...

Thank you Sean, Bob, Frenchy, and Jane.
Birding in Bazilescu Park is my hobby for more then 20 years and till now my opinion was that Pied and Collared Flycathers could be found there only during the migration (usually in the spring)... I hope that soon, maybe next spring, I will find a nest...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back