• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID - January 2020, Reculver, Kent, UK (1 Viewer)

Andy1979

Hi all,

Kind of assumed this was a Herring Gull at the time (back on 19/01/2020) on the North Kent coast at Reculver. I have been through the CR Birding website for the colour ring, but cannot find a match. Looks to be 'G0ZT'.

Anyway, this got me looking more closely at the bird which is considerably paler than the Herring Gull next to it and with a white head.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy M

Attachments

• Herring Gull G0ZT 20200119 Reculver Colour-ringed copy.jpg
    Herring Gull G0ZT 20200119 Reculver Colour-ringed copy.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Herring Gull 20200119 Reculver (1) copy.jpg
    Herring Gull 20200119 Reculver (1) copy.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 59
Both adult Herring Gulls. Some individuals develop white heads (summer plumage) earlier than others, with the first being in the weeks before Christmas and there is quite some variation in mantle tone too.

Could the Z be a 7?

Edit: just checked cr-birding website and if I'm correct the code is GO7Z (letter,letter, number, ending in Z) from North Thames Ringing Group. The ring is probably dark orange rather than red.

See here: https://www.cr-birding.org/taxonomy/term/2151?page=2
Third entry down from top.

Last edited:
Thanks. The code is G0ZT but the 0 could be a O. The last letter is not Z though which rules out this scheme I think.

It was the very pale mantle that drew my attention.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back