• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Help - Sattal - 9 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
Request id help for these birds photographed at Sattal, India in Feb 2020
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Attachments

• DSC_5460.jpg
    DSC_5460.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_5469.jpg
    DSC_5469.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_5487.jpg
    DSC_5487.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_5602.jpg
    DSC_5602.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_5612.jpg
    DSC_5612.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 42
Bar-winged Flycatcher-shrike for #1?

Had me confused for a while, but that feels about right.

edit: Grahama beat me to it

Have this photo. very blurred though

You should have posted this one first!

Different race to the birds I've seen in W India where the males are much more black and white and are often mistaken for Little Pied Flycatcher there.

Last edited:
Are we confident on #3?
I got a Niltava impression on this bird, especially with the rufous tones on the face. I have never seen female Ultramarine for comparison but online photos look greyer with paler lores and longer legs.

Are we confident on #3?
I got a Niltava impression on this bird, especially with the rufous tones on the face. I have never seen female Ultramarine for comparison but online photos look greyer with paler lores and longer legs.

You could be right, John - it's rather plump-looking, which I had noticed, and has blotchy underparts. It looks a bit like this bird:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/500181102358513746/

Female Ultramarine can be quite gingery around the face though, including the lores, e.g.

https://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/ultra...a-superciliaris/ultramarine-flycatcher-female

Last edited:
Are we confident on #3?

Whoops, missed that! Like Andy, not too worried by the rufous tones to the face but the rather uniform, 'dappled' underparts and thicker, pale legs/feet which are wrong for fem Ultramarine. Pretty sure its a Small Niltava but just to be certain, any more images Mihir?

Grahame

Last edited:
Whoops, missed that! Like Andy, not too worried by the rufous tones to the face but the rather uniform, 'dappled' underparts and thicker, pale legs/feet which are wrong for fem Ultramarine. Pretty sure its a Small Niltava but just to be certain, any more images Mihir?

Grahame

Hi Grahame, Have this one.

Attachments

• DSC_5494.jpg
    DSC_5494.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 26
Fem Small Niltava if a little over-exposed. You can just make out a single blue feather on the neck side below the rear eyelid, the remainder of the patch concealed.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back