• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magee Marsh.. May 2014 (1 Viewer)

Clive29

Looking for somebody to meet up at Cleveland airport, Ohio to share 3-4 days accommodation, car hire etc. to bird Magee Marsh and surrounding area second week in May 2014.

For those of you who don't know the place..
http://birdingmageemarsh.org/

PM me if interested. :t:

Attachments

• platform.jpg
    platform.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Magee

OMG
Went last year same week, don't think I'll get away with going again so soon.
You'll have a massive time, fantastic place. Plenty of birders on some days but always space to bird yourself. Few shots to wet your appetite.
Dave

Attachments

• prothonatary.jpg
    prothonatary.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Kirtlands warbler1.jpg
    Kirtlands warbler1.jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 136
Cheers Dave, those shots certainly have me drooling.. :t: and yes I've heard that while some areas of the board-walk can become very busy there always somewhere that's a lot quieter. I'm really looking forward to it. Did you have chance to visit any other nearby locations?

Yes, visited a few spots through the week. Magee was the most productive and species changed daily so you could stay put and still have a great time.

Also visited
Maumee state park to the west
Ottowa next to Magee
West Harbour trail (near Port Clinton) and Sheldon Marsh (near Sandusky).

Maumee and Ottowa had similar species to Magee (less numbers though)
West Harbour trail some waders Least Sand, Spot sand, Killdeer and again warblers
Sheldon Marsh :Sora, Virginia rail, Red headed woodpecker, Solitary sand, Broad winged hawk.

Plenty of scope to do your own thing, with many good looking sites on goggle earth.

If you like 'vis migging' and the wind is W or SW try an early watch at the eastern end of East Beach Magee. You can overlook a canal and the marsh (the track is out of bounds but the warden was quite happy for me to stand on the track at the extreme end of the beach, just where the trees end. Really good passage of hirundines ,warblers, jays, kingbirds, hummingbirds, waders, finches, buntings. Constant stream coming along the canal towards Magee. Went again the next morning but the wind had switched E and there was very little.

Any water in the fields to the south of Magee will have waders, also saw Bluebird, Dicksissel, Horned Lark, American Pipit and Upland Sandpiper

Sounds like some excellent suggestions Dave.. I'll have a squiz on google earth, the vis-mig spot is particularly useful to know about. Cheers :t:

I wouldn't be able to say what would be ideal for young children as I was 100% birding. Away from the birding sites there could be places around Port Clinton, Sandusky and Toledo but this is a guess at best.

Another option

Would this be a location for a family holiday lwith young children - say birding a few hours in the morning and the afternoon for family activities? Its a fine balance for me. Cheers for any advice

I think there is also an indoor water park locally, I believe it is Great wolf lodge that gives you another option.

Steve

Sorry Jim did see your reply until just now. I now have a chum who lives in Indy who's decided to come with me. We'll be there from the 13th to 16th May.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back