• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Birds in Aptos, CA/ North Monterey BAy (1 Viewer)

catmadden

SquirrelFreak
Saw these in my back yard, don't quite look like any thing in my book... Help???
First 2 same bird....

Last edited:
The first two are the familiar female House Sparrow (note pale eyebrow and large beak) and the second is an Oak Titmouse. Note overall gray color and crest (this species is very much like Juniper Titmouse which has a different range, mainly in the southwest).

ID's confirmed or given, just wanted to say I like the shots - especially the titmouse.

Thank you all for the help. I looked in my books, I have 3/ the Stokes, Audabon and National Geo. None of them have a bird called an "Oak or Juniper" Titmouse. I found Tufted, Bridled and Plain. This bird looks closet to the Plain. My Audabon only shows 2 Titmice. Is there a better book out there? Seems I do not have the best guide... I had thought the Stokes was good, but if it is missing birds, I need a better one...
The female House Sparrow, around here we call them Weaver Finches....

Plain Titmouse was split somewhat recently into Oak and Juniper. Oak is the one that reaches the Pacific and your area.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back