• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dahab Sewage works (1 Viewer)

trw

Going to Dahab next week staying in the lagoon area.
Does anyone know where the sewage works are? I believe you get some birds there.
What are the directions and distance from the lagoon hotels.We are staying at the Happy Life Hotel.
Thanks

Yes, the sewage ponds there can be good for birding - lots of migrants. Look out for Sooty Falcons overhead.

Looks like the sewage ponds are c.5 miles (as the falcon flies) north-east of where you're staying. Have a look on Google Earth: 28°29'37.21"N, 34°30'33.91"E. The bay/lagoon to the south of the sewage ponds is also worth checking.
Cheers!
DL

Yes, the sewage ponds there can be good for birding - lots of migrants. Look out for Sooty Falcons overhead.

Looks like the sewage ponds are c.5 miles (as the falcon flies) north-east of where you're staying. Have a look on Google Earth: 28°29'37.21"N, 34°30'33.91"E. The bay/lagoon to the south of the sewage ponds is also worth checking.
Cheers!
DL

Many thanks.Which road should I ask my taxi driver to take and what words should I use for 'sewage ponds'Don't fancy having to mime the words 'sewage ponds' in fear of causing offence!

From what I see on Google Earth I would ask the taxi driver to take you to Dahab Dive Paradise/La Reina Hotel, then walk across the road towards the obvious raised mounds - which is where the sewage works/ponds are located.

Best of luck. Enjoy!

DL

Last edited:
Thanks again.
Not sure exactly where you mean.
There is a Dahab Dive Paradise/LaReine[not La Reina] hotel in the centre of Dhabon the corner of Masbat Bay according to Google.
Is this where you mean?
Thanks for your help

Pratincol

Bung this in google translate and listen!

المياه القذرة It should mean "dirty water" which got me to sharm sewage works. Or just type in the words of your choice English to Arabic. Having said that the few words of Arabic I did try to learn sound nothng like the translations on Google translate :-(

Amy

Pratincol

Bung this in google translate and listen!

المياه القذرة It should mean "dirty water" which got me to sharm sewage works. Or just type in the words of your choice English to Arabic. Having said that the few words of Arabic I did try to learn sound nothng like the translations on Google translate :-(

Amy

Cheers!
My wife always complains that we go on a nice AI holiday somewhere and inevitably end up at a rubbish dump or sewage works looking at birds!
Many thanks for your help.

Pratincol

I used to travel a lot. When I am in a country with an alphabet I can't do anything with i.e thai, russian, arabic etc. Befriend an english speaking clerk/concierge at the hotel. Get them to write down the places you want to go in the local language. Blag a bunch of hotel business cards and keep them in every pocket. You will always be able to get back to the hotel assuming the recipient can read - which is not always a given. Burn a satellite map from the net and keep it to hand to ensure yo are going to roughly the right place. If you stumble upon a taxi driver who peaks passable english, get his card and tip well rather than haggle. That driver will kill for your trade and make sure you get to where you wnat to go. Simples!

A.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back