• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corton Old Sewage Works (2 Viewers)

SUGS

I wonder if someone could supply a map reference or directions for this site .

Thanks,

Graham

Park at Corton Church on coast road then walk short distance to coast along path through gate on road bend. Old sewage works compound on left of path, you cant miss it. This is my main local patch and since ive lived there we have noted the following in that compound or in surrounding scrub: Alpine Accentor, Red-flanked Bluetail, Olive-backed Pipit, Great Snipe, Ortolan Bunting and Hoopoe among many lesser scarce such as many Shrikes on the wires and annual Lapland Buntings in nearby stubble.

Very close by, around 100m inland of Church is the Corton disused railtrack/New sewage works which can be equally as good and has hosted the likes of Arctic Warbler, Rustic Bunting, Red-flanked Bluetail, 2 Dusky Warblers, 4 Icterine Warblers etc in recent years along with annual Yellow-browed Warblers in all the years ive lived here since 1998.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info . I drove past the church last Thursday when looking for the site . Looking on Google Earth I presume the football pitch behind the church is where the Red Backed Shrike was ?

Thanks again.

Graham

I spent a little time at Corton old sewage works at midday today. It is a surprisingly pleasant place with some great looking habitat but the best I could find in the time I was there were two Whinchats on the perimeter fence and a Common Whitethroat in the brambles.

I then walked inland to the old railway bridge to find the disused railtrack. However, I was a little confused. To the north there are 'private' signs and the land seems to belong to a horse riding place. To the north there are two parallel tracks, blocked off by a barrier. The westernmost one is rough but the one on the eastern side was freshly mown grass. It was possible to gain access to both tracks from beside the barrier but there were no public footpath signs, so I wasn't sure if it was public access or not. I decided to walk down the rough track for a little way but wasn't sure if I was meant to be there, so I couldn't concentrate on looking for birds. Could someone confirm if both or either of these tracks are public rights of way? It looks to be a great spot for birding and I would like to spend more time there.

Ron

To the north of the road ie towards Hopton is private. You need to walk south. There is the main track and one next to it seperated by a sycamore barrier (there is also a path that leads west adjacent to the road but you will come back along this path on the circular walk). They lead southward to an area of tall trees including Holm oaks. This is Corton disused railway line. If you keep walking south along here to the end of the lane you can turn right at a metal gate which leads to a circular path around Corton New Sewage works which leads back to the car by the road. Half way along this circular walk is a boardwalk by a pond which can be a very good area (Greenish and Icterine Warblers by this pond in last 2 years).

Last edited:
Thanks James. Is the main track the grassy one to the east or the rough one in line with the barrier to the west? Also, do any other sections of the old railway line between Hopton and Corton have public access?

Ron

The main track is the rough one straight out from the gate, but can be worth checking the other track too its only a very short detour. The only other part of the track with public access is "Hopton railtrack". Park in layby along Longfullans lane at the extreme south of Hopton villiage opposite Potters holiday resort and walk south by the track. A very good area when thrushes are in, when very many flush out as you walk along the inland side. Annual Ring Ouzel here in October among Thrush numbers.

Further south the same railtrack is accessable at "Gunton railtrack", an extremely good area when birds are around. Has produced the likes of Black-headed Bunting in the past. Park in Dip Farm golf course car park along Corton road then walk inland then left along track.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back