• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Rescue? (1 Viewer)

Mahsleb

Hi Folks

I read with interest Jaff's thread "can this be rescued?"
And was impressed with the results some people managed to get!

So I wonder if anyone can suggest a way of salvaging something from my disasterous Bittern pic,
Even though I had plenty of time to take this shot, I still managed to get it wrong, forgetting to change the ISO from its previous setting
I've tried to improve it with photoshop 6 and downloaded Neatimage but can't seem to get a decent result

I'd be grateful for any help or advice
Thanks
Tony

Attachments

• IMG_6191 copy.jpg
    IMG_6191 copy.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 155
Do you have photoshop or Photoshop elements?

I'd do following:

Dupe original layer.
Select blue with magic wand
Auto levels on selected blue.
Invert selection to select just the bird.
Copy the bird to a new layer.
Shadow/highlights on that layer.
Blend with dupe layer to taste.

Matt

Last edited:
Hi Tony,
I'm sure Matts suggestion using layers will give a better result but I've had a quick play in elements 4 using Levels, Shadows/Highlights and contrast and then taken it through Neatimage using a profile i'd saved previously because I couldn't get autoprofile to work. Below is the result, not great but worthwhile because Bittern flight shots aren't ten a penny

Attachments

• IMG_6191%20copy.jpg
    IMG_6191%20copy.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 177
Hi Tony,
I'm sure Matts suggestion using layers will give a better result but I've had a quick play in elements 4 using Levels, Shadows/Highlights and contrast and then taken it through Neatimage using a profile i'd saved previously because I couldn't get autoprofile to work. Below is the result, not great but worthwhile because Bittern flight shots aren't ten a penny

Thanks Paul

that's better than I've managed so far

Tony

With PS6, replace shadow/highlights with autolevels and blend to taste. Histogram will be even more effective if you want to tinker some.

Nice job, Paul.

Thanks for your help Guys :t:
But I'm still struggling

Using layers I cant seem to get away from sharp, unnatural looking edges

This is my best yet, using levels, despeckle and unsharp mask (I can't get anywhere with Neatimage, It's very new to me)
But far from happy with it!

Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• IMG_6191 copy 2.jpg
    IMG_6191 copy 2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
The trouble is that the shot is under exposed by several stops. Whichever method you use to 'push' it will result in noise in the shadow areas (which in this case is most of the bird).

The trouble is that the shot is under exposed by several stops. Whichever method you use to 'push' it will result in noise in the shadow areas (which in this case is most of the bird).
Agreed. This is about the best I can do in Photoshop. There are still strange coloured specks all over the bird.

Ron

Attachments

• Bittern2.jpg
    Bittern2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Here is my efforts.

The first one was done on the whole image but you can still see a slight halo around the bird.

The second one I opened a new page and used eye dropper tool to pick the blue from the original, then I used the paint bucket tool to flood the page.

I used the magic wand on the sky in the original and then inversed it to just outline the bird, I then did a copy. I pasted this on the blue background, this has now cleaned up the halo.

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Thanks everyone :t:
some good attempts and ideas there but as Roy has pointed out

I'm still kicking myself for messing up a fantastic opportunity, I took over 20 shots as the bird flew past me! And really had plenty of time to make sure of getting a good pic grrrr!
Oh well maybe next time..... |=)|

Thanks again
Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back