Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A versatile digiscoping adapter

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 11th April 2005, 11:10   #51
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Just for information,

I was able to quickly try Little Stint Boy's adaptor on my Zeiss zoom EP, and I'm chuffed to say that with it in place, the EP zoom is completely usable.

I'm ordering my adaptor as we speak!

Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS, TCs.
www.capture-the-moment.co.uk

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th April 2005, 20:17   #52
SteveC

Well the weather was a lot better than I thought so I managed to practice a bit more, and even if I do say so myself I think I'm getting better.

Just a quick question Keith, you mentioned fixing a shock bead to you cable release, how did you attach it. On my cable the the spike is always fully retracted into the outer case, so I can't see a way of ataching it, any help would be gratefuly received.

Heres a couple of snaps from the weekend from Restharrow Scrape again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ringo.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	19253  Click image for larger version

Name:	grego.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	19255  
Old Monday 11th April 2005, 20:57   #53
siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blythkeith
Just for information,

I was able to quickly try Little Stint Boy's adaptor on my Zeiss zoom EP, and I'm chuffed to say that with it in place, the EP zoom is completely usable.

I'm ordering my adaptor as we speak!

Keith,
I`m glad you managed to fit it without fouling the Ziess zoom. Have tried it on mine and it just slightly overlaps/touchs to prevent use. Will take it to work and get 5mm chopped off the back. Do you ever have problems with the zoom unlocking?. I do and it really bugs me. Also do you use the Zeiss case?.
The zipper jams on mine and is rather loose. Not worth 80 in my opinion.
Brilliant scope & eyepeice though.

Regards,
Brian.
Old Tuesday 12th April 2005, 21:58   #54
Colin S

On the strength of reading the reviews in this thread, I've just bought the Baader Adapter from David Hinds. I ordered it on line on Sunday evening & received it today. At 30, including post & packing, I think it's excellent value & a great turnaround time. It's my first adapter & it connects my Canon A95 to my Kowa TSN 821 with 20-60 zoom, with no trouble at all. Although I've only tried it in the back garden for half an hour in fading light, it's such an improvement on my previous attempts at hand held shots. I'm looking forward to trying it out in the field at the weekend. The only thing against it that I've noticed so far is that because it clamps to the zoom lens, if I increase the magnification by turning the lens the camera (obviously) moves with it, but as I reach the required magnification & let go of the lens, the weight of the adapter & camera makes the lens turn back until the camera & adapter is again at the bottom. This doesn't seem to happen when the camera reaches horizontal or beyond (ie has moved 90 degrees or more).
I'm an absolute novice (as you've probably gathered from my feeble attempt at explaining the "problem") & thus have nothing to compare the adapter with, only prices of others that have been suggested elsewhere in this forum. I cannot comment on weight, ease of use etc at the moment but I have to agree with others who have commented (& whose advice I followed) that for a beginner this adapter seems like a real good low price investment.
I'll try it out more & post further comments in due course.
Col
Old Wednesday 13th April 2005, 00:02   #55
siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S
shots. The only thing against it that I've noticed so far is that because it clamps to the zoom lens, if I increase the magnification by turning the lens the camera (obviously) moves with itCol
Hello Colin,
I think you may of clamped it onto the `wrong` part of the eyepeice.
The camera should remain static when the zoom is increased. On my EP (zeiss zoom) I have clamped it on the front, ie, the zoom adjustment ring is behind the clamp.
Have been trying it out with my old Canon A40. Seems to work OK.
Simple to set up, but be careful to allow enough space between lens & eyepeice, or you will get error 18, like I did!.
I have not tightened the clamp right up, because I`m a bit wary of over doing it, I`m sure it must be OK though.
The good thing is it allows you to try other cameras without having to pay silly prices for yet more adaptors. The only disadvantage would be having to keep taking it off and then realigning it each time, when you want to use the scope on its own. I`m going to set mine up with an old scope I never use and keep it for the garden.
Hope you sort yours out,
Regards,
Brian.
Old Wednesday 13th April 2005, 07:06   #56
iporali

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian
Hello Colin,
I think you may of clamped it onto the `wrong` part of the eyepeice.
The camera should remain static when the zoom is increased. On my EP (zeiss zoom) I have clamped it on the front, ie, the zoom adjustment ring is behind the clamp.
Brian and Colin,
The Kowa zoom is a long eyepiece where almost the whole external surface rotates during zooming - I doubt that the clamp can be attached on the front (at least stably). It is the same with my Swarovski zoom: the whole setup rotates when I zoom. I would suggest to keep the zoom constantly at 20x and and use only the camera zoom (and try to get close to the target). You don't actually get more resolution above 30x.

Good luck,

Ilkka
Old Wednesday 13th April 2005, 07:31   #57
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Hi Brian,

I don't use the Zeiss case for exactly the reasons you mention - I'd read that it was a very poor effort.

I use a Skua stay-on from Focal Point instead, and it's excellent.

As to using the clamp on the Zeiss zoom: admittedly I only had a brief go with LSB's adaptor - and no camera was involved - but by fitting it onto the "eyecup" of the eyepiece there seemed to be loads of room clear of the zoom mechanism, which means that I will (hopefully) be able to use the zoom without any problems like unscrewing the zoom.

This will be with a Canon A95, incidentally.

As a matter of interest, has anybody thought of an possible adaptations (I hesitate to say "improvements"! )to the adaptor?

It occurs to me that it would not be too hard to replace the rather kludgy screw locking mechanism with a spring loaded alternative, simply by trimming and blanking off the long screw thread (possibly grinding down the thread a bit), and putting a suitable strength spring in between the inner frame and the upper jaw.

It would (if it worked!) make putting it off and on a bit quicker, and it would reduce the overall bulk of the thing a fair bit.

Just a thought...

Old Wednesday 13th April 2005, 07:34   #58
fr0sty

Hi Brian & Colin

Further to Ilkka's reply I am using the adaptor on Swaro with a 20 x 60 zoom.

I have two ways of using the zoom whilst the adaptor is in place
1. mount the adaptor on the 10mm piece that does not move - this will only be possable if the camera's lens extends far enough to reach the eye piece.
2. Too slacken the adaptor enough to use the zoom only takes the smallest of turns on the adaptor.

I am changing to the Canon A95 so once I have practiced a little with the camera I can see that by using option 1 - if the camera lens is not close enough to the scope I can get a local machine shop to cut away almost 1/2 of the lens clamp thus allowing the zoom to rotate and the camera lens to have a snug fit.

Hope this helps !!
Old Wednesday 13th April 2005, 07:40   #59
fr0sty

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blythkeith
Hi Brian,

It would (if it worked!) make putting it off and on a bit quicker, and it would reduce the overall bulk of the thing a fair bit.

Just a thought...
mmmmmmmm Keith

Well there's a good thought.

Let me get my Cannon and when I am having my mod's done I will see if they can get a spring loaded piece installed. My only concern would be maintaining the grip - although the springs would be compressed to open up and take the eyepiece. I'll take the machine shop's advice and let you know
Old Wednesday 13th April 2005, 08:37   #60
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Hi Fr0sty,

it was really just a mad thought I had, but as long as the spring was reasonably strong, and the inner jaws were surfaced with something pretty grippy like rubber, it might work...

Old Wednesday 13th April 2005, 08:44   #61
fr0sty

Hi Keith

It would also over come the potential problem of overtightening the grip in the excitement of the moment to get that once in a lifetime shot and damaging the scopes eyepiece !

Going to the machine shop over the next couple of days I will post again as to their comments on the practical side of doing this

Regards
Old Wednesday 13th April 2005, 08:57   #62
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

I look forward to that, Fr0sty - as you say, it would surely remove the risk of mangling the EP in the heat of the moment!

Old Wednesday 13th April 2005, 18:21   #63
siberian

Hello All,
I like the idea of modding the adaptor, however unless you can d.iy. or get it done cheaply we are back to paying out more money!.
I`m lucky because I repair the machinist`s computer and he makes any bits I need.
The way I see it is the adaptor works, albeit on the bulky side and will work with most compact cameras.
I have been trying out homemade adaptors for the last few months and narrowed down the essential requirements.
1) It is quick to put on and off.
2) It is accurate ( ie, spot on each time)
3) It is strong enough to support the camera
4) It does not move at the crucial moment
5) Its does no damage to the eyepeice
6) It doesn`t cost an arm and a leg!

This adaptor meets all the requirements (hopefully 5),
except the first (compared with a tube type adaptor).
Well thats my thoughts anyway!
I will get mine modified soon and let you know.
Regards,
Brian.
PS. DO NOT buy a Zeiss stay on case, they are crap!!!
Old Saturday 16th April 2005, 00:46   #64
rka
ttbirds

Got my EZ-Pix 2 adaptor today from Scopetronics (same as Baader - larger model) and put it through initial tests.

I have mixed views about the adaptor. Below I have outlined where I see the adaptor being useful and where it will be plain frustrating:

USEFUL:
For taking pictures or video of subject in a specific location. For example a nesting bird, a specific feeder, astronomy pics etc. Here will definitely be an advantage over hand-holding.

FRUSTRATING:
Use in a scenario where the scope has to be refocused pretty frequently. This will require unclamping the adaptor and reclamping each time. On my kit (Swaro AT80HD w 20-60 locking eyepiece) the unscrewing of the main clamp takes too long and will therefore severely limit the opportunity to setup quickly for a shot.

I also believe that the X-Y-Z alignment mechanism, while catering for most digital cameras and scopes is a huge plus, is significantly inferior to the standard collar type adaptor that simply fits over the eyepiece and locks with one screw very quickly.

Finally, I would have to remove my scope case to use the adaptor in it's intended position. As a result, I use the adapter in a 90deg orientation instead.

So had I tested prior to buying the adaptor, would I still buy it .... the answer is a definite yes. I will continue to handhold my camera against my bottlecap based guide for most pictures once the light is fine. For pictures in failing light or of subjects in a predictable location or videoscoping, I will use the guide.

If the following two weaknesses could be worked out in a later model, it would be a killer adapter:

1) Main Clamp too slow to open and close based on screw style mechanism.
2) XYZ positioning mechanism less 'fiddly' for initial setup.
Old Sunday 24th April 2005, 14:19   #65
adkr
griz

cABLE SHUTTER RELEASE FOR a95

sTEVE,
Excuse my ignorance but can you get a cable release for the A95? Thank you. Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC
Well I got my adaptor from David Hinds Ltd this morning and thought I'd share my intial thoughts.

First off its contructed very well, its nearly an all metal contruction apart from the camera support and the adjustment dials which are hardened plastic. The thread mechinism's for adjusting are easily set and the up and down axis has a locking dial to stop any acidental movement.
It fitted to my ES80ED 32xWW eyepiece with no problem and will probably fit scopes with even larger eyepieces, similarly my Canon A95 was also easy to fit, one slight problem is that the camera was a few centemeters lower then than the eyepiece but a small rubber washer soon sorted this out.
In use it is very stable and holds the camera in place well, even though it is a little heavy and bulky it didn't appear to cause any problems and for 30 you really cant complain.
Final thoughts : If your on a small budget or just starting out in digiscoping like me, you can't really go wrong with this adapter. Once set up it only takes a few seconds to fit to your scope as there is only one clamp to tighten, thus saving those other precious seconds to get the shot. Yes it is a bit bulky compared to other adapters, but those adapters cost 2 to 3 times more and it really isnt any bulker than a hide clamp.
What I have noticed now though is the need for a cable remote for the shutter button, the slight pressure on the shutter button does cause a slight shake and the picture does suffer from this. This isnt any fault of the adapter but the nature of digiscoping where the slightest movement is amplyfied by the scope magnification.
Final score then 9/10, it does exactly what its supposed to do and a brillant price.
Hope this helps anyone else thinking of buying one.

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 25th April 2005, 19:15   #66
SteveC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkr
sTEVE,
Excuse my ignorance but can you get a cable release for the A95? Thank you. Andrew
You can get a release cable clamp from Jessops for about 22 and a cable for about 10. I bought one and the extra height from the clamp helped raise my camera just that little bit higher, thus removing the need for the rubber washer.

Not sure if canon do an electrical one or not.

Hope this helps

Heres another shot using the adaptor and A95

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grego2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	19975  
Old Wednesday 8th February 2006, 15:54   #67
neb

Hi There.
Just wondering if someone can please please help me. I have a Optricon Classic scope and have just bought a kodak z740 digicamera. I would love to do some digiscoping but I've been told I won't be able to get an adaptor fro it. PLEASE tell me this isn't true.

jane.
Old Monday 27th March 2006, 18:02   #68
toady

camera settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC
I ordered mine last Friday and it turned up Monday.
hi steve are you using any special camera settings or are you just letting the camera do it.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: