• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it time to stop keeping whales in captivity? (1 Viewer)

The same people say that it is wrong to keep dogs, cats and horses in captivity. Anyway, dogs bite and horses kick. And when you watch birds you meddle with nature.

So be careful who you support, because when they are done with whales, there is lots more animals to help. And lots more people who can be targets.

Jurek, I'm sorry but from your post I am unsure whether you wish to keep whales in captivity or are against it.
I have never been a fan of keeping any creature in captivity, but the cetaceans the least of all. They are adapted to life in the ocean, they have intelligence which may be as high as (if not higher than) our own and in the wild have the capability to travel many miles in a day as they will. Life in a tank for them must be hell.
As to the poor trainer featured in the OP's link, I'm sad for her demise but even if the whale did have something to do with her death, 'we' are the ultimate beings responsible as 'we' condemned that poor animal to a life of monotony and boredom in a tank smaller than the distance it could swim in a scant few minutes.

Last edited:
Norfolk? Forest of Dean? There’s obviously some sort of in-joke here that I don’t get. How about someone enlightening me?

And getting back on topic, no, I don't think whales should be kept in captivity, not because it's dangerous to their handlers (who can take their chances as far as I'm concerned), but because it's bad for the whales.

Norfolk? Forest of Dean? There’s obviously some sort of in-joke here that I don’t get. How about someone enlightening me?

Translation:

You've obviously never met any rednecks.

This is a tricky one.
I have been to Sea World with my family and seen the Orcas there.
close up views of these sublime creatures.
The one that was there then (15 years ago) had the clasic drooping fin and was not a picture of health.
BUT, a lot of people see these animals in these "Shows" and it does create interest.
How many people have ever seen a wild Tiger, for that matter how many are likely to ever see a wild Tiger.
But the majority of the population are in favour of saving the Tiger in the wild. Is this because they have seen one in a Zoo.
I have been to many Zoos over the years and they can be very different. some are dreadfull and should be closed, they are nothing but an animal prison.
while others although can never be a replacement for the wild, do look after the animals needs, and the animals "look" satisfied.
I know many Zoos claim to be holding a gene pool for the wild , but I am sceptical of these claims.
On the whole though some creatures should never be kept in captivity, and I include Orca in this group.

I think I managed to contradict myself several times in this thread.

Steve

I don't think Killer whales make the best captive animals honestly, but reintroducing them back into the wild is probably not an option. The few times that has been attempted the animals usually haven't been able to integrate back into the wild successfully. I have no qualms with smaller whales in captivity, since I do think a lot of good science has come out of the study of captive whales. I also have no qualms with zoos in general. For most people it is their only exposure to wild animals, and I think that exposure does more good than bad.

you've obviously never been to norfolk
Considering the low intelligence of locals, such as myself, I am constantly amazed by the number of 'foreigners' who choose to come and live here amongst us. I would have thought that they would prefer more urbane and mentally challenging company to stimulate their mighty brain cells. It must be so depressing for them. :-C

Ron

This is quite an interesting thread. Sure makes one think and ponder. Doing my own pondering on the subject it probably isn't the best to have some types of animals in captivity for various reasons. The Orca and others of the like..looking at from another perspective, other then humans being able to see when they normally could not, should be left alone or monitored at sea. One exception, and I am sure there could be more, is to bring one into captivity, use example a younger one for whatever reason, may not be able to survive in it's natural habitat. Now this idea brings up other thoughts..would this be interfering with nature..say survival of the fittest or be looked at as just humans caring for an injured or unfortunate one. I'm afraid this could open a circle of ideas and thoughts that would end up with the same thoughts. There are probably pros and cons to each. For now I think I would arrive to protecting those that can not protect them selves (can be included with people being able to view what most never get a chance to see) and let the others be in their natural habitat.

As far the danger of working with these Orcas or any other animal of the wild there are dangers and things do happen. It is a shame but those that work with them usually know the dangers.

I don't really agree with keeping whales in captivity. I think there's a lot of space issues (as with any captive animal really) but we're talking about a huge animal that can practically swim the world. I mean, they can't even keep great whites in captivity, it's just not successful. I guess it's like any captive animal though, sometimes something happens that just causes them to snap. It's such a fine line though between what is right and wrong in terms of captive animals. Obviously of course it's just better if they can be in the wild, but rescued animals and animals of endangered species, education etc, it's important. Captive animals have their place, providing of course, that they are well cared for.

Yes it is time to stop but probably too late to free the ones that are already there. They are without a doubt very intelligent animals - their intelligence compared to us is open to debate - and are used to roaming over huge areas.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back