• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackcap on fat ball feeder (1 Viewer)

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
United Kingdom
First ever winter record for the garden this morning was a male Blackcap happily feeding on suet fat balls for about 10 minutes, nonplussed by the frenetic Coal Tits.

First ever winter record for the garden this morning was a male Blackcap happily feeding on suet fat balls for about 10 minutes, nonplussed by the frenetic Coal Tits.
'

Just quickly read your post & was about to "bail" - (as in, 'Bail Out')

Then, nearing the 'back-button', my eagle eyes noticed that you're in my same neck of woods...**

** (Generalizing, of course !)

90% of my visitors ARE Great Tits, Blue Tits & Long-Tailed-Tits

Whilst we get Jackdaws, I wouldn't know a 'Blackcap' if it bit me :-O

That's great, Pat. We very occasionally get blackcaps, but they don't stay for long and I've not seen them on any of our feeders.

Similarly delighted to have new resident this year for the first time ever. She's about every day, but haven't seen a male.

Attachments

• DSC_5376c.JPG
    DSC_5376c.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 21
It is the only wintering Blackcap I've come across in 20 years in the vicinity though others do get reported. Not seen it since so far.

I had a female in the garden during my first winter here back in 1996/7.

Never seen one since sadly.

There was a male on the fatballs in my garden on 9th January but not since - perhaps too many Jackdaws. And latterly a male Sparrowhawk trying his luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back