• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths (1 Viewer)

LizandDave

Will there be an August Moths thread?
I found the July one very helpful in IDing some of my own moths and interesting as to what was flying in July.

Thanks
Dave

Sorry wrong section, can a mod please move it to the main forum?
Thanks

It looks as if you have started it ;)
I had a good session on 1st with about a dozen new species for the year
ruby tiger
least carpet (tiny specimen about the size of a 5p piece)
magpie (photo attached)
lesser yellow u'wing
Chinese character
lesser broad-bordered yellow u'wing
yellow-tail
early thorn
small angle-shades
September thorn
small fan-footed wave
double kidney
Cydia pomonella

Attachments

• magpie ex IMG_1112 (800).JPG
    magpie ex IMG_1112 (800).JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 54
Last night of interest:

Pale Prominent - 3
Herald - 1
FLame Shoulder - 1
Dot Moth - 1
Silver Y - 1

The rest was standard fayre really.

Andy M

Rather disappointing last night, with just 35 species, and for the first time no 'NFM's. I've noticed a big increase in various underwings in the last few nights, with good numbers of Least Yellow Underwing, Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing and Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing in particular. I've also trapped my first couple of Guernsey Underwings.

Cheers
Duncan

I just had a quick peek through the forum (I'm not here that often LOL). Is this thread just for Moths... do you want a title change?

I just had a quick peek through the forum (I'm not here that often LOL). Is this thread just for Moths... do you want a title change?

Delia - a change to 'August moths' would fit in with previous months.

Steve

Last night - two additions to my garden list - Dingy Footman and Shaded Broad-bar.
And two more new for the year - Vapourer and Ag. geniculea.

Generally a low catch but with six Silver Ys.

Steve

Last night of interest:

Pale Prominent - 3
Herald - 1
FLame Shoulder - 1
Dot Moth - 1
Silver Y - 1

The rest was standard fayre really.

Andy M

It's interesting how abundance of species varies - for me flame shoulder is so common I hardly give it a second look. The others are nice though!
Ken

It's interesting how abundance of species varies - for me flame shoulder is so common I hardly give it a second look. The others are nice though!
Ken

Hi Ken,

We had 3 Flame Shoulder two nights ago so they are not quite at plague proportions here yet. However, Jersey Tiger is another matter altogether with 16 flapping, bumbling and bumping around the trap.

Maiden's Blush was new for us as was Pale Prominent (2), Tawny Speckled Pug, Fern and Knot Grass. Large Emerald was our 2nd but is probably a better moth than the 1sts.

Rain stopped play last night but not before a Webb's Wainscott had flown into the trap.

Cheers, Andy.

Fairly epic garden catch last night in terms of quality and variety. Should break the hundred species mark for the first time once I've finished going through the micros, with 9 NFM macros. 3 Tree-lichen Beauties probably the pick of the bunch.

1. Scarce Chocolate-tip
2. Guernsey Underwing
3. Jersey Mocha
4. Olive Crescent
5. Tree-lichen Beauty

Attachments

• Scarce Chocolate-tip 4a.JPG
    Scarce Chocolate-tip 4a.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Guernsey Underwing 6a.jpg
    Guernsey Underwing 6a.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Jersey Mocha 4a.JPG
    Jersey Mocha 4a.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Olive Crescent 1a.JPG
    Olive Crescent 1a.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Tree-lichen Beauty 12a.JPG
    Tree-lichen Beauty 12a.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 55
Last night threw up a few NFGs. I moved here in Oct 2011 and last year was dire! Anyway, 84 moths of 28 species (macros).

Hoary Footman (NFG/NFY)
Buff Footman (NFG/NFY)
Knot Grass (NFG/NFY)

Also, just one Dark Sword Grass.

Cheers,

Andy M.

Fairly epic garden catch last night in terms of quality and variety. Should break the hundred species mark for the first time once I've finished going through the micros, with 9 NFM macros. 3 Tree-lichen Beauties probably the pick of the bunch.

1. Scarce Chocolate-tip
2. Guernsey Underwing
3. Jersey Mocha
4. Olive Crescent
5. Tree-lichen Beauty

Absolutely superb. Three colonisers (Scarce Chocolate-tip, Jersey Mocha and Tree-lichen Beauty) and a scarce resident (Olive Crescent) for us. Be nice to get a chance at the Underwing!

All the best

This morning a late and worn, waved black. Also NFG brown china mark. Put a small (very) pond in earlier in the year so pleased it has attracted something new.
regards,
Jono

Hi all,

Bit of a story with this one. My son was visiting relatives in Folkestone yesterday with his grandad and I mentioned to them that they should kick about the slopes behind the town between ice creams. Alex had stuck a pot in his pocket and when he kicked a moth out of the grass, he potted it.

What are the odds that it would be the Folkestone speciality Sub-angled Wave?

Cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

• Sub-angled Wave.JPG
    Sub-angled Wave.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 91
Day Mothing

Went out with the camera earlier just for an hour and found several moths around with the butterflies.

There were many Silver Ys but they were very skittish and impossible to photograph in the wild. Then what looked likt colourful tiny butterflies but were in fact pyrausta aurata a micro moth, flying quite happily in the day and feeding on Wild Marjoram, as were several Long Horn Moths, adela rufimitrella.
Finally there was a weird Burnet (and a Mother of Pearl), I have put in a thread for ID by itself.

So a good "day" mothing!
Dave

Attachments

• pyrausta aurata chalky bank 070813xxxx.jpg
    pyrausta aurata chalky bank 070813xxxx.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 58
  • longhorn adela rufimitrella chalky bank 070813xxx.jpg
    longhorn adela rufimitrella chalky bank 070813xxx.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 62
  • no id burnet chalky bank 070813xxxx.jpg
    no id burnet chalky bank 070813xxxx.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 56
Excellent conditions on Tuesday night - very warm and muggy - but a fairly average catch (80 species). Perhaps the most interesting moth was this tiny Silver Y (5p coin for scale), which I presume if f.gammina. Also had this beautifully-marked Guernsey Underwing.

Attachments

• Guernsey Underwing 4a.jpg
    Guernsey Underwing 4a.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 077a.JPG
    077a.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 83
Hi all,

Bit of a story with this one. My son was visiting relatives in Folkestone yesterday with his grandad and I mentioned to them that they should kick about the slopes behind the town between ice creams. Alex had stuck a pot in his pocket and when he kicked a moth out of the grass, he potted it.

What are the odds that it would be the Folkestone speciality Sub-angled Wave?

Cheers,

Andy.

Very nice

All the best

NFG today; a vapourer on the sheet next to the trap. Common enough moth but not often seen at light traps.

Attachments

• vapourer.JPG
    vapourer.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 69
NFY this morning in a reasonable haul of regulars: Fairly confident this is a campion.
Also; poplar hawkmoth, 5 silver y, riband wave, flame shoulder, red twin spot carpet, common carpet, dark arches, willow beauty, engrailled, brimstone, yellowshell, common rustic, scorched carpet and rustic.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back