• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good birding sites round Stansted? (1 Viewer)

Sonia

Can anyone recommend any interesting sites around the Stansted area? We are doing a late night pick up there, so thought we would spend the whole day thereabouts and hubby has no problem with us spending it birding. I guess we wouldn't want to be more than 30 miles away from the far side of Stansted from where we are (Reading), but any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

If anyone has any eating suggestions that would be useful too - not Little Chefs though, please.

With thanks

Sonia

Two suggestions I would make are;
Rye House RSPB reserve at Hoddesdon,always a pleasant place to visit.Full details from the RSPB website,and
Lea Valley Country Park,especially the Fishers Green area.Again,there is a website with full details and there is no admission charge.

I would agree with Grousemore re. Birding sites. If you want something to eat near Stansted try the Three Horseshoes pub in Molehill Green

Paul

On the A120 before you get to Braintree, after Coggeshall I think is a farm reserve calleds Marks Farm (or Marks Tey Farm) from memory - the woodland especially is quite productive for Woodpeckers and Goldcrest etc. But Lea Valley as already suggested would be better but further away.

Help please!

First of all thanks for all your suggestions, I'm off to Italy tomorrow, so will make a decision re: Stansted on my return in a couple of weeks. When I come back in a couple of weeks will this info. still be available to me? Can I print it out? How? Do threads get archived, how will I get hold of this info again - or shall I just sit down and write out all the details?

Andrew, give me a couple of weeks of relaxation to come back with a witty (or what passes for witty for me) retort! Yep, it takes that long, my brain seems to work exceedingly s-l-o-w-l-y t-h-e-s-e d-a-y-s.

With thanks
Sonia

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back