• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manitoba, Carman, Stephenfield, St Ambroise, Fort Whyte Center (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Sept 16 to Oct 4

Carman
Weather has not been terribly great for bird watching the last month or so.
The number of Geese heading south is increasing, on one walk we had over 100 geese pass over in about a 5 minute period.
Noted a lot of the winter birds are returning to our feeders. Seed and suet consumption way down, less than half of what it was during the summer.
Birds still fighting at the feeders. Saw a White Breasted Nuthatch and House Sparrow have a go at each other on the peanut feeder. I thought the Nuthatch would win out, but the sparrow grabbed the Nuthatches beak and was able to hold on while the Nuthatch flailed about. Sparrow eventually released the Nuthatch which made for another part of the tree.
Sightings:
White Breasted Nuthatch
House Sparrow
House Finch
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Chickadee
Crow
Possible sighting of a Bald Eagle
Red Tailed Hawk
Coopers Hawk
Northern Harrier

Stephenfield
Not a lot happening at Stephenfield now that fall is upon us. A few boats in the water, trees in fall colors and dropping leaves.
Sightings:
Kildere
Herring Gull
Double Crested Cormorant
Redhead
Franklin’s Gull
Northern Flicker
Crow
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Ring Billed Gull
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
Palm Warbler

St Ambroise
Lots of birds at St Ambroise Park, gates were closed so we had to walk in. Was very peaceful, only saw one other person.
Sightings:
Red Tailed Hawk
Vesper Sparrow
Northern Harrier
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Field Sparrow
Western Grebe
Harris’s Sparrow
Ring Billed or Herring Gull juvenile
Ring Billed Gull
White Throated Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
American Pipit
Tundra Swan

Fort Whyte Center
Made a few trips to Fort Whyte Center the past month, on one of the visits we were seated at one of the feeding stations watching about a dozen birds feeding, with other coming and going. All the birds took flight at the exact same time and disappeared into the surrounding woods, but none went West. I looked to the west as a Cooper’s hawk came out of the trees, it flared and swerved about 10 feet in front of us, then landed on a tree branch about 20 feet away then took off. It was pretty spectacular. It all took place in less than 5 seconds. I doubt I raised my camera 6 inches before it was all over.
On another visit I was walking one of the lake side trails when a hawk burst of the grass about 15 feet in front of me, went pretty much straight up then dashed behind a tree and was gone. Never got a real good look at it, but suspect it was a Red Tailed Hawk.
The Burrowing Owls have moved from the upended planters and into actual burrows now. Saw all three on our last visit but wasn’t able to get any pictures.
Sightings:
Northern Harrier
Northern Shoveler
Harris’s Sparrow
White Throated Sparrow
Dark Eyed Junco
Swamp Sparrow
American Coot
Fox Sparrow
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
Blue Winged Teal
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Ring Billed Gull
Pied Billed Grebe
Double Crested Cormorant
Downy Woodpecker
Cedar Waxwing
Chipping Sparrow
Hairy Woodpecker

Attachments

• 076 magpie crop.jpg
    076 magpie crop.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 157 wood frog crop.jpg
    157 wood frog crop.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 54
  • 183 juvie ring bill or herring gull resize.jpg
    183 juvie ring bill or herring gull resize.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1978 yellow bellied sapsucker.jpg
    IMG_1978 yellow bellied sapsucker.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2035 geese resize pt.net.jpg
    IMG_2035 geese resize pt.net.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back