• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x50/54 format (1 Viewer)

Peter, it was talking to you (and Canip) who helped me choose re APMs last year, and no buyer regrets here, they give good views and seems well built. I wonder if IPD distance can be a problem with some of the cheaper models though, as mine are a close fit, and this reminds me to measure my own.
I keep a couple of APM and Kowa Highlander links bookmarked to compare; just as well lockdown is easing or GAS may set in.

Hope you and your folks 'round the corner' from me are well.

Andy

I own a pair of Docter Nobilem 10x50 porros as my main binocular and like them very much. 10x is still hand holdable and the 50 diameter provides some comfortable view and a bright picture even on rainy days and even at night. If you are willing to schlepp it - and I am - it's my favorite size. They seem to be hard to get and are not made since some years.
Even more magnification would start to be harder to hand hold and would be more limited concerning field of view. If you are willing to carry some extra stand you are good to go obviously.

Interesting reading this thread as I am currently stuck in Vienna due to CV-19 (and my 10x42 Ultravids are at home).

So I'm going to buy a pair of cheap but good bins here and although I was looking for a pair of Vortex Diamondback HD 10x42 (I should be able to sell these easily when I return home) I have found them difficult to buy with delivery being 3-4 weeks (probably due to popularity).

I can however get either the Vortex Crossfire HD 10x50 or 12x50 variants with delivery in 2-3 days. And all are around the same price if not same weight (40s are about 25% lighter than both 50s).

My use is currently fields and woods, mostly smaller birds (starts, warblers etc.). So open fields and woodland followed by narrow paths (2-3m wide) through the trees where the birds are often close-by but near impossible to see/ID by the naked eye.

Anyone agree / disagree with the choice and magnification for use ?

As you are stuck in Vienna wouldn't this be the perfect place to grab some Swarovski binoculars? This is a corona story to tell and would make some great souvenir from Austria for your collection. Pick a size you still need and enjoy life. Possibly some second hand options with a huge selection are available in antique stores or similar as well over there? How about some nice Habicht Porro?

As you are stuck in Vienna wouldn't this be the perfect place to grab some Swarovski binoculars? This is a corona story to tell and would make some great souvenir from Austria for your collection. Pick a size you still need and enjoy life. Possibly some second hand options with a huge selection are available in antique stores or similar as well over there? How about some nice Habicht Porro?

I checked out 7-8 camera stores last week. Ridiculously expensive. Far better off buying from EBay or Amazon I'm afraid and even that's expensive compared to China where I'm resident (which is roughly equivalent to US pricing).

I'd love the Swarovski binos but I don't want a divorce (at least not at the moment, though if the CV-19 restrictions continue ...) ;)

And I do have my Leicas at home. I'm just looking for something good but cheap and cheerful to get me by for a few months, not a long term investment.

Thank you very much for the suggestions ! I'll look out for the Habicht Porro's as I've never heard of them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back