• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many Binoculars do you have? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
I only have 2 my first Binoculars that I used from 2002-2012 don't really have a make so don't really have a name they were from my grandparents it's up in my room with my old notebooks. My second Binoculars which I'm currently using from 2012-Present are a Nikon Eagleview I really like them they are downstairs with my current notebook.

I have got three pairs:
Steiner Commander Military/Marine 7x50 (my formerly only and well used old one, still in almost mint condition)
Docter Nobilem 10x50 (my main one, almost used exclusively)
CZJ EDF 7x40 (my uber-robust one for rain and long hikes)
Perfectly serving my needs.

Last edited:
Just the one ! .... Zen Ray 8x43 ED3 : - )
According to the recently closed format survey, I'm the only one to be rocking this modern day classic too ! :D

I could be very happy with just one bin - only it hasn't been made yet. I think my one ideal bin would be hotted up Zeiss SF optics (more HT & FL glass, retuned coatings for higher and more neutral transmission) shoehorned into a 3D printed carbon fibre Nikon MHG chassis with a faster knurled metal focuser. The one bin to rule them all ! :king: :-O

Chosun :gh:

Hi Euan. Just the one pair - Leica Trinovid 8x42 BN. Bought for me by my OH for my 40th. Turning 50 next year so toying with another pair (8 or 10x32) to compliment them. I was thinking a smaller pair for when I’m out with the children and might just happen across something.

Rich

Let's see... Leica 8x20, Kowa 8x25, Nikon 7x35, Hunter 7x35, Vixen 8x42, Zeiss 10x42, Docter 15x60, Orion 15x63.

Yes, sufficiently comfortable that that's the way I use them 95% of the time.
But it's a skill I've been practicing for decades.

Five pair total. Mine... SLC WB 8x42. Victory HT 8x42, and Victory FL 7x42.

Wife's... Monarch HG 8x42, and Leupold Rogue 8x25 (work / office bin).

I have serious binocularosis and am always looking at others, while the wife isn't interested in looking at anything else.

I have
Opticron Classic 8.5x36 for general birding
Zen Ray 7x36 for dull day birding and for when we both are out
Leica Trini 8x20 for sticking in my pocket
Vortex 6.5x32 live in the car

Five binoculars and one monocular. Nikon EDG 8x32, Nikon EDG 8x42, Nikon EDG 10x42, Meopta Meostar HD 15x56, Nikon Mikron 7x15 and the Leica Monovid Monocular 8x20.

I have three pairs,Swarovski 8.5x42EL field Pro my main binoculars (I have only had these since March this year),Opticron DBA Oasis S Coat 8x42 ( which have been damaged in a fall from a hide self) I plan to send them back to see if they can be repaired once some sort of normality returns. These had previously been my main binoculars. My third pair are a pair of Leica trinovid 8x20 BCA which I have had since the early 1990s and use if I want a pair of binoculars to slip in to my pocket.

Last edited:
Thanks. Must be nice to watch far out ships at sea with that high magnification.
I found the Canon 15x50 IS comfortable to view with, whether the IS was on or it not - despite it's pretty woeful ergonomics.

In contrast I find the Swarovski 12x50 SV a bit jittery to use (it almost makes me a bit nauseous after a while) despite it's great ergonomics.

Curiously, I find the Swarovski 10x50 SV fantastically steady to hold - one of the best, with it's puzzlingly same ergonomics as the 12x50 !?!?! :cat:

I don't know what any of that means ! :-O :h?: :brains:

I suppose whatever works for you at the time - it's not an exact science ..... :)

Chosun :gh:

It seems I always have one less than I want.

Currently eight. Gave two pair away in the last year, and coincidentally have two earmarked for purchase.
I can't see me ever being a collector, but it is nice to have a couple for woods/low light, a couple for bright days walking, a couple for long distance/astronomy.
And a spare
o:D

I confess to having somewhat of an addiction to binoculars. I've been fascinated by them since I was very young. I think at one point I was up to nearly a dozen, but then my taste became a little more refined and I sold quite a few in order to buy fewer, better models. I always think I've gone through my "buying and selling" phase, settle on a pair for a year or so, then I'm not sure what happens but I go through another "buying and selling" phase. LOL It's a sickness, but I suppose some guys do that with cars or motorcycles, some with houses, and some even with wives! So I suppose binoculars isn't the worst I could do. ;)

I currently have two but I just ordered what I hope to use as my daily last Saturday night. I currently have my Oberwerk 25x/40x 100mm Bino/Telescope and an old pair of Canon Camera Co 7x35mm Japanese built porro's that I really like. I ordered the Oberwerk 10x42mm Sport ED glasses and can't wait to have my first roofers! I don't see myself collecting more but I never say never!

Making me feel like I might have an addition. Mainly 8x30E2 for daytime, papilio for bugs, 2x54/7x35/10x50 at night and the 30x70 for long distance hide spotting. (I have a few museum pieces and other models to keep family members off the good stuff).

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back