Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How many Binoculars do you have?

Old Wednesday 27th May 2020, 15:01   #51
PCreed

I've just got a pair of 11x70 Oberwerks. I used to have a set of tripod-mounted 25x100IF's from Oberwerk, but they were (literally) a pain in the neck once I started scanning skyward.

They were excellent in value/price, though.

--Phil C.
Old Wednesday 27th May 2020, 18:18   #52
johnbaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCreed View Post
I've just got a pair of 11x70 Oberwerks. I used to have a set of tripod-mounted 25x100IF's from Oberwerk, but they were (literally) a pain in the neck once I started scanning skyward.

They were excellent in value/price, though.

--Phil C.

Hi Phil

You could do with making a parallelogram to bear the weight of the heavy bins, Something like this!

It will save neck pain, Also you can sit in a comfy reclining chair and make the most of it!!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EGke0kv.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	728291  
Old Wednesday 27th May 2020, 20:59   #53
PCreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
Hi Phil

You could do with making a parallelogram to bear the weight of the heavy bins, Something like this!

It will save neck pain, Also you can sit in a comfy reclining chair and make the most of it!!

John
True. Once you get to this size of bino, though, it's mostly for astro use. It's hard to use 100mm binoculars for much else. Could use it for birding, of course, if they're already set up and/or your environs are frequented by birds, but the "grab n' go" factor suffers at this size.

For astro? These sizes make for incredible instruments, especially under dark skies. First time I saw the dust detail in the Andromeda Galaxy (M31) under a dark sky in SE Ohio I was just stunned.

--Phil C.
Old Wednesday 27th May 2020, 21:49   #54
wllmspd

I sized my binocular ambition by my backpack and what I felt like carrying around all day, APM 45degree ED Bins with wide flat Astro eyepieces, very potent spotter during the day, equally nice at night. Like many I picked up some cheap 25x100s many years back when they became available, overloaded my heavy tripod and impossible to use at high angles, sold years back. Your report makes me wondering I should look to get some 90degree models... I have a counterweighted tripod and all the eyepieces I need....

Thanks

Peter
Old Wednesday 27th May 2020, 22:54   #55
johnbaz

I agreed a price with the seller of these Strathspey 25x100mm Bins through Shpock, Went to get them and when I tried them, The collimation was so bad that it hurt me eyes, I came home without them but then found out that I could have posted them to Strathspey for recollimation!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QVXFI23.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	728326  
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 22:39   #56
Patudo

I have (gulp) ten, but each has a different niche.

7x35 - one (old wide-angle porro)
7x42 - one
8x30 - three (old porros)
8x32 - one (modern)
8x42 - one (modern)
10x40 - one
10x50 - one
12x50 - one

The 8x42 in particular is my "no excuses" binocular, used in situations where performance is vital. The 8x32 and 10x40 get used when travelling, or in less demanding conditions (shorter distances, good light) - I like to have the choice of 8x and 10x magnification for when I prefer a wider field of view vs. a closer look at the birds. The x50s are used for medium (10x) and long (12x) distance observation.

These are currently my most used binoculars. This year I think I have probably used the 10x40 about 30% of the time, the 8x32 and 10x50 about 20% each, the 8x42 and 12x50 about 15% each. The unmatched field of view of my 7x35 is wonderful, but I find the birds look a little smaller than I would like in 7x magnification. I love my old 8x30s for their lightness, wide fields of view, and the fact that they are such a pleasure to use (I think the nicest of all my binoculars to hold and to handle), but of late the birds I've been after have been flying far - at times disappearing from view even with the 10x50. I've used them a lot in the past, have had many good days with them, and will use them again, but not right now.

Last edited by Patudo : Wednesday 10th June 2020 at 22:42.
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 00:09   #57
SeldomPerched

A dozen. The binoculars that give me most pleasure at the moment are Swarovski SLC 10x42 W B. Derided as ugly by many they have a sturdy 'form fits function' appeal to me and are comfortable and compact as well as reassuringly solid to hold. The contrast and colour (those blacks!) make me feel they might be the bins to save in a fire. The pre-FP type strap is the quickest and best for adjustment and attachment out of anything I have.

In second place on the podium and also on the red extinction and out of fashion lists are jointly four different 7s, all in 42 size. That leaves a handy but fiddly compact 8x20 going through 32 and other 42 sizes to two big glasses of 8x56 and 10x50.

I sometimes toy with paring down the total a bit but then again every one of these binoculars suits me for handling, ease of view, and a beautiful image. Not to say some don't have a weak point but in my mental performance review I put the good points first and usually manage to overlook or not notice the not so good aspects while concentrating on the view. And so I use each for a period of time, really get the best out of it (especially now when off work on the job retention scheme) and then eventually when in another place or when the weather has changed feel the urge to use one of the others for a while. If I could only have three? They would be 8x32 - 7x42 - 10x42. Final comment: having these binoculars only feels like an obsession when they are not getting much use.

Last edited by SeldomPerched : Thursday 11th June 2020 at 00:18.
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 04:59   #58
Herman66

I have 4

Swarovski 15x56 SLC (latest model)
Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42
IOR Valdada 7x40
Nikon 10x35E (like new, and still a nice Bino)

I still really like the IOR 7x40 just a bit heavy and large. And the colours are a bit to warm/yellow
Most used is the Leica. The “best” is the 15x56 just too heavy and large to take with me a lot.

Last edited by Herman66 : Thursday 11th June 2020 at 05:04.
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 11:02   #59
fotbg

I have:
12x50 viper HD
8x32 Leupold Bx-4
6.5x32 Kowa BdII
6.5x32 vortex raptor Porro
And a 40 year old 10x50 bell and Howell I got when I was 7 years old. Out of collimation

I don’t use the raptor much as it’s been replaced by the Kowa. Really like the Kowas wide field and bright image. I choose it over the 8x32 now as my main bin preferring the ease of use and wide field over marginally more magnification.
I use the 12x50 for longer distance viewing, astronomy and usually on a tripod although I find I can hand hold it reasonably well.
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 15:54   #60
Gray C
Newbie birder

Swarovski 8x42 SLC
Leica Ultravid 8x20
Hawke Frontier ED X 8x32
Zeiss Jena 8x30
Swift Grand Prix 8x40
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 17:38   #61
Llandudnoboy
North wales coast Peter

Hello everyone, let me introduce myself.

I reside in llandudno, and was persuaded by a friend to think hard about investing in a new pair of binoculars.

I already own two, a pair of 10x50 Nikon Sports, and an old pair of Olympus.

Well, ive just purchased a new pair of 7x42HD+ Ultravids, on recommendation from a friend.

7x42 magnification does not appear to be as popular as 8x42, but the magnification difference is not that great.

I spent several hours earlier this year, at the RSPB shop at Conwy bird reserve, looking through the range of Leica, Swarovskis, and Zeiss binoculars, but on reflection, none of them were a 7x magnification.

I am at a loss to describe just how clear and pin sharp my new binoculars are.

The whole user experience is off the scale, and the self doubt when paying the king's ransom for them, is a thing of the past, its hard saved money very well spent.

When you find the right binoculars, you use every opportunity to use them, and it was blowing hard on top of the Great Orme this afternoon, but i didn't want to go home, i could have stayed there all day, just gazing through these new bins.

A 7x magnification, may not be as popular today, but the clarity of image, and very wide field of view, makes them worth considering.

Last edited by Llandudnoboy : Thursday 11th June 2020 at 17:43.
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 18:10   #62
Herman66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandudnoboy View Post

I reside in llandudno, and was persuaded by a friend to think hard about investing in a new pair of binoculars.

Well, ive just purchased a new pair of 7x42HD+ Ultravids, on recommendation from a friend.

7x42 magnification does not appear to be as popular as 8x42, but the magnification difference is not that great.

I spent several hours earlier this year, at the RSPB shop at Conwy bird reserve, looking through the range of Leica, Swarovskis, and Zeiss binoculars, but on reflection, none of them were a 7x magnification.

The whole user experience is off the scale, and the self doubt when paying the king's ransom for them, is a thing of the past, its hard saved money very well spent.

When you find the right binoculars, you use every opportunity to use them, and it was blowing hard on top of the Great Orme this afternoon, but i didn't want to go home, i could have stayed there all day, just gazing through these new bins.

A 7x magnification, may not be as popular today, but the clarity of image, and very wide field of view, makes them worth considering.
I totally agree with you. I just recently bought the same binoculars, and never considered this magnification. But they are perfect!
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 20:43   #63
elkcub
BF Supporter 2020

Anyone,

What is the advertised eye relief of the 7x42HD+ Ultravid?

Thanks,
Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 22:59   #64
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post
Anyone,

What is the advertised eye relief of the 7x42HD+ Ultravid?

Thanks,
Ed
ADVERTISED at 17mm.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 23:07   #65
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandudnoboy View Post

I couldn't agree more!

I know several folks that have bought this binocular...most are elated! The 7X42 UVHD+ seems to have a combination of factors that all seem to come together... It's just a quality instrument.

Old Friday 12th June 2020, 13:40   #66
John knowlittle

1- Swarovski SLC HD 10x42 (the close focus version)
2- Swarovski EL 8x32 (original EL)
3- Leica Trinovid BN 8x42
4- Nikon Ell 8x30 x2pairs
5- Nikon A 8x30
6- Nikon E 10x35
7- Nikon E 10x35 (FMC Criterion)
8- Nikon Gold sentinel 7x35
9- Leitz binuxit 8x30
10- Zeiss west 8x30
11- Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30
12- Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30 (T3M)
13- Nikon D 9x30
14-BNU5 8x30
15- Kershaw Olympic 8x30
16- Ross Steptron 8x30
17- Opticron High resolution 8x42
18- Swift Audubon HR/5 8.5x44
19- Swift Aerolite 8x30 (my first pair of binoculars, had since I was 5yr old)

The wife has

1- Nikon EDG mkll 8x32
2- Audubon Equinox 8x42
3- Leica Ultravid 10x25

So 20 pairs for me and 3 for the wife.
Old Friday 12th June 2020, 14:10   #67
PhilR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
I couldn't agree more!

I know several folks that have bought this binocular...most are elated! The 7X42 UVHD+ seems to have a combination of factors that all seem to come together... It's just a quality instrument.
My wife has the 7x42 UVHD+. It is her favorite binocular, mostly because it excels in every way, just as you intimate. We would both agree that it is indeed a quality instrument, but then again - we all know that.

My 7x42 is a Zeiss FL. I prefer it’s view a bit more, especially when it is very dim whereupon the FL is noticeably brighter. However, I much prefer the handling, appearance, and subjective feel of build quality of the Leica.
Old Friday 12th June 2020, 23:11   #68
dwkelly3

I have 15 pairs of binoculars as of today 06/12/2020
1. Nikon 8X20 Premier HG L
2. Nikon 8X23 Venturer II (2 pairs)
3. Nikon 8x25 Mountaineer II
4. Nikon 8X30 E series
5. Nikon 8X32 LX L
6. Nikon 8X32 Superior E
7. Nikon 8X40 Classic Eagle
8. Nikon 10X42 Monarch HG
9. Nikon 7X42 EDG II
10. Leitz 6X24 Roof Pism
11. Pentax 6.5X21 Papillon
12. Kowa 6.5X32 BD II
13. Zeiss 8X25 Victory Compact
14. Celestron 11X80 Astronomical Binocular.
Soon to be 16 pairs as I have a Zeiss 8X32 SF on order through Optics 4 Birding.
Old Sunday 14th June 2020, 09:04   #69
Sebzwo

Impressive collections.
Without wanting to offend anybody. Aside from pure collectors why do people own very similar binoculars at the same time in parallel? I understand to own something for high magnification, something light weight and such but like almost the same model in several copies? Wouldn't make sense to me.
Old Sunday 14th June 2020, 09:10   #70
opisska
Jan Ebr

I have legally a half of Kowa Yf 8x30 due to shared spousal ownership :) I am thinking about buying a second pair to have one for each of us - after 10 years of birding I am slowly getting positive to the idea of having binoculars.
Old Sunday 14th June 2020, 10:22   #71
CharleyBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebzwo View Post
Impressive collections.
Without wanting to offend anybody. Aside from pure collectors why do people own very similar binoculars at the same time in parallel? I understand to own something for high magnification, something light weight and such but like almost the same model in several copies? Wouldn't make sense to me.
My binoculars (see profile) fit into the 'something for each situation' category.
However I've about 3-4 dozen books on bird identification etc. aquired over the years, not that I regard myself as collector, though I was a librarian. Even have multiple copies of a couple of my favourites.
Have been thinking of whittling them down but I quite like having them and books generally, giving one away occasionally to friends who visit.
Human nature?
Old Sunday 14th June 2020, 10:41   #72
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebzwo View Post
Impressive collections.
I think it all depends on how you define „pure collectors“.

Why would someone buy 7 different recordings of Beethoven‘s 9th symphony? Isn‘t the music always the same?

The musician might answer: the musical score is always the same, the performances are definitely not and vary greatly between artists and orchestras.

I consider the same to be true for binoculars. No two of my many 8x42 binos show identical images.

Would you say that someone paying attention to the slight (or sometimes substantial) differences between optical instruments with identical objective diameters and magnifications is a „pure collector“? Maybe I am one then

Canip
Old Sunday 14th June 2020, 14:10   #73
PeterPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canip View Post

Why would someone buy 7 different recordings of Beethoven‘s 9th symphony? Isn‘t the music always the same?

The musician might answer: the musical score is always the same, the performances are definitely not and vary greatly between artists and orchestras.

I consider the same to be true for binoculars. No two of my many 8x42 binos show identical images.

Would you say that someone paying attention to the slight (or sometimes substantial) differences between optical instruments with identical objective diameters and magnifications is a „pure collector“? Maybe I am one then

Canip

I was afraid I suffered from binoculariosis but your subtle argument above has convinced me that's not the case, thank you, Canip!
Old Sunday 14th June 2020, 14:15   #74
CharleyBird

It's also quite interesting to see how things have changed, in my case different editions of a book over 40 years, seeing for example how the bird population has changed.
...or in the case of a friend of mine, collecting different versions of Nikon cameras from the 1959 F onwards, including multiple siightly different F3's.

These are our hobbies; these interests bring each of us enjoyment in various ways.
And some people don't buy stuff, they enjoy and prefer to spend on experiences or travel.
Old Sunday 14th June 2020, 15:41   #75
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canip View Post

Canip
I like it! Great analogy!

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: