Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ultravid HD+ 7x42 fair used price

Old Saturday 30th May 2020, 10:23   #1
GoldenBear

Ultravid HD+ 7x42 fair used price

I'm considering the purchase of a used Ultravid HD+ 7x42 and was wondering what others would consider a fair used price. I'm not terribly familiar with this bin and don't see that many used, so I don't really have much of an idea.

I checked the serial no. with Leica and confirmed a 2015 date of manufacture, and that it has no service history. They also verified it's a legit +/Plus model.

Condition is always subjective, but I would grade it 9 out of 10. Couple very minor nicks or marks... most of the wear is on the straps lugs where metal attachments were clearly used.

Also few very faint scratches or "cleaning marks" on the objectives. Minor enough that I'm not sure one could call them scratches, but nonetheless they are there.

Any thoughts on secondhand values would be greatly appreciated.
Old Saturday 30th May 2020, 14:51   #2
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

So here are my very random thoughts on this subject....

So have you looked at the binoculars in person? I can say that the binoculars I have that I would rate 9/10 would not have really ANY usage marks to speak of, lens or body and would be mechanically excellent.

I would think any UVHD+ plus would be considered pretty current as in coatings, improvements, etc. So IMO an excellent condition 2015 model would be worth as much as an excellent condition 2019 model. Condition of binocular would be of primary importance and not necessarily age.

IMO the retained value of binocular brands is generally Swarovski>Zeiss>Leica. Leica's seem to depreciate more initially.

So, IMO an excellent condition UVHD+ would probably fetch around $1100-1200 USD +/- a few.

HTH..

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 30th May 2020, 15:23   #3
GoldenBear

[quote=chill6x6;4008336]So here are my very random thoughts on this subject....

So have you looked at the binoculars in person? I can say that the binoculars I have that I would rate 9/10 would not have really ANY usage marks to speak of, lens or body and would be mechanically excellent.

I would think any UVHD+ plus would be considered pretty current as in coatings, improvements, etc. So IMO an excellent condition 2015 model would be worth as much as an excellent condition 2019 model. Condition of binocular would be of primary importance and not necessarily age.

IMO the retained value of binocular brands is generally Swarovski>Zeiss>Leica. Leica's seem to depreciate more initially.

So, IMO an excellent condition UVHD+ would probably fetch around $1100-1200 USD +/- a few.

HTH..[/QUOTE

I have looked through them a bit and they seem outstanding. I would call the condition used not abused, but I'm not sure they're quite 9 out of 10 (that's actually how the seller is rating them). It's subjective.

They want $1,527 for them, and I'm not sure the condition rates the price. Of course I snagged my virtually mint Victory HT's for $1,100 (which I consider one of the best bargains ever), so I kind of judge bins deals against that. Probably not fair as I think I got really lucky on that one.
Old Thursday 4th June 2020, 02:11   #4
Robert Moore

I have the Leica 7x42 HD plus and it is probably my most enjoyable binocular. I wear eyeglasses and have astigmatism so need them to get a sharp view. I also have the Zeiss 10x42 SF but it is not as easy to look through as the 7x42 especially in twilight. I would love a 10x that has that easy view like the 7x42 and am thinking about trying the 10x50 Swarovision. I looked through one at the store and really liked it but would have to try for a few days to see for sure. I just wanted to comment on how much I liked the 7x42 and think you would really like it and especially so for someone who wears glasses.
Old Thursday 4th June 2020, 03:42   #5
marcsantacurz

I've watched those on the auction site now and again. They seem to go for between $1100 - $1300 when sold as auction. Which is rare. It sounds like you are buying them local? If you're paying cash, you could ask for a discount -- if they sold on-line there'd be all sorts of auction and/or paypal fees.

You see them on birdforum.net now and then too.

Marc
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 07:52   #6
SeldomPerched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Moore View Post
I have the Leica 7x42 HD plus and it is probably my most enjoyable binocular. I wear eyeglasses and have astigmatism so need them to get a sharp view. I also have the Zeiss 10x42 SF but it is not as easy to look through as the 7x42 especially in twilight. I would love a 10x that has that easy view like the 7x42 and am thinking about trying the 10x50 Swarovision. I looked through one at the store and really liked it but would have to try for a few days to see for sure. I just wanted to comment on how much I liked the 7x42 and think you would really like it and especially so for someone who wears glasses.
Hi Robert, just a thought about your own 10x wishes (i.e.off topic). I have read and heard that the 10x50 UVHDplus - along with the 7x42 that both of us own - is a very highly/possibly best regarded UV, so consider that as well as the 10x50 SV. It is a bit cheaper too but I have not used one or tried one out personally.

Have a look at Roger Vine's Scope Views reviews of both these 10x50s:
http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Leica10x50HDPlus.htm
http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro10x50EL.htm

Might be difficult to decide, depending on your preferences! Happy shopping.

Tom

Last edited by SeldomPerched : Friday 5th June 2020 at 07:54. Reason: Minor typos; clumsy keyboard fingers
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 17:30   #7
Conndomat

Hello Tom,

Robert also mentioned that he has to use eyeglasses, the Ultravid could use an AP. of 15mm. therefore become very scarce.

Andreas
Old Friday 5th June 2020, 19:00   #8
SeldomPerched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conndomat View Post
Hello Tom,

Robert also mentioned that he has to use eyeglasses, the Ultravid could use an AP. of 15mm. therefore become very scarce.

Andreas
Good point, Andreas. I never stopped to think of that.

All the best,

Tom
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 11:40   #9
Pileatus

Quote:
I have an Ultravid 7X42 BR from 2004 along with the 10X50 SV. We also have 8X bins.

The 10X50 SV has more eye relief than the 7X42 UV, is sharp across the FOV and ergonomically quite comfortable for a 10X50. For maximum comfort, I wear the strap across my shoulder (bandolier style). It's a great binocular!
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 06:52   #10
PeterPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
I have an Ultravid 7X42 BR from 2004 along with the 10X50 SV. We also have 8X bins.

The 10X50 SV has more eye relief than the 7X42 UV, is sharp across the FOV and ergonomically quite comfortable for a 10X50. For maximum comfort, I wear the strap across my shoulder (bandolier style). It's a great binocular!
The SV 10x50 is a great binocular indeed. But I like the SV 12x50 even more (I own both). Food for thought.
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 14:00   #11
Robert Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
The SV 10x50 is a great binocular indeed. But I like the SV 12x50 even more (I own both). Food for thought.
I did look through the 12x50 also but for me it didnít have that easy comfortable view with my glasses that the 10x50 had. Both great but for me I prefer the 10x50
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 14:32   #12
Mike F

Quote:
I did look through the 12x50 also but for me it didnít have that easy comfortable view with my glasses that the 10x50 had. Both great but for me I prefer the 10x50
And since this thread has quickly gone off topic, I'll add that if you need glasses to view through binoculars steer clear of the Leica 12x50! Otherwise I believe that it's a very viable alternative.
Old Monday 8th June 2020, 23:02   #13
Pileatus

Quote:
I had my 10X50 SV out last night for several hours of stargazing. The number of "unseen" stars that are revealed in the 10X50 is truly amazing. I'll be out again tonight!

Mount can be seen here...https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...8&postcount=50
Old Monday 8th June 2020, 23:32   #14
Conndomat

Quote:
Hello Robert,

you are right, I have the 12x50 and am also eyeglass wearer, that 12x50 is so straight with glasses that 10x50 is better in this point!
With the 12x50 binoculars there are hardly any alternatives to the EL for eyeglass holders.

Andreas
Old Tuesday 9th June 2020, 14:19   #15
Robert Moore

Quote:
I had my 10X50 SV out last night for several hours of stargazing. The number of "unseen" stars that are revealed in the 10X50 is truly amazing. I'll be out again tonight!

I will be looking forward to comparing the 10x50 Swarovision with my 10x50 Fujinon.
Old Tuesday 9th June 2020, 14:37   #16
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
The 12X50s work for me with eyeglasses however the 10X50 does have more ER and an easier view I suppose. The 12X50s really don't have a lot to spare in the ER department. They ARE probably the best option for an eyeglasses wearer that wants a 12X50.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 9th June 2020, 23:17   #17
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
The 12X50s work for me with eyeglasses however the 10X50 does have more ER and an easier view I suppose. The 12X50s really don't have a lot to spare in the ER department. They ARE probably the best option for an eyeglasses wearer that wants a 12X50.
This thread has drifted a lot, and now is talking about 12x50 binoculars.

So, I will hijack further, if looking for a quality 12x50, consider the Meopta Meostar HD, they are very good. I have been very impressed.

I don't think you have to look at a Swarovski, these cost about 1/2 the price.

For most users, this size is not used much, not an everyday carry.

Jerry
Old Monday 22nd June 2020, 01:41   #18
Robert Moore

Quote:

I bought a brand new Swarovision 10x50 at Cabelaís and it is just stunning for daytime and for Astronomy. On a tripod for Astronomy I think there is no doubt it is the best 10x view you can get. It is better color corrected than my Zeiss SF which I thought couldnít be possible in a binocular. When looking at Jupiter and going in and out of focus the Swarovski shows Jupiter as pure white inside and outside of focus and the Zeiss canít quite do that.
Old Monday 22nd June 2020, 08:12   #19
CharleyBird

That 7x42 second hand price seems high from a UK perspective, but mainly because Leica's binoculars are occasionally much discounted.
Last year those 7x42 UV+ were briefly sold here at £1200, 40% under RRP. And they were not older shop stock, the dealer got them from Leica to send. A loss-leader?

It's noticeable that Leica new prices vary much more than Zeiss or Swarovski. Currently for example the Swaro 12x50 are the same price in every UK dealer, whereas the Leica 12x50 vary by £400, one dealer pricing them slightly higher than the Swaro.

Do you think this is due to the popularity of Swarovski in the market & steady sales, or a reflection of dealers' relationships with the brands?
Old Thursday 25th June 2020, 12:50   #20
SeldomPerched

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
This thread has drifted a lot, and now is talking about 12x50 binoculars.
Sorry, that's all my fault. Back to 7x42. Tom
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: