Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ?

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 10:43   #126
CharleyBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
Swarovski is offering under NL warranty free installation of the forehead rest to your head.
You just have to mail yourself in a large envelope to their service center.

All of the cool rich kids are doing it.

$500 extra for a crystallized forehead rest.

$200 fee + shipping costs for removal.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 10:44   #127
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
Does anybody know what NL stands for?
The Netherlands.

Its a van Daalen plot!

Lee
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 11:13   #128
Troubador

[quote=tenex;4025341

Indeed, the 12x can't have the virtually same FOV as the 10x. Still it's an interesting choice and suggests there will be no 50mm NL, whatever one imagines about a possible 32. (12x42 won't be to most birders' tastes any more than my 10x32 is, but I'm sure Swaro have done it well.)[/QUOTE]

The website says for the 12.42 real fov 6.5 deg, which means a fov of 114m but the site states 133m which is clearly a wobble.

Lee
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 11:15   #129
The BulbMogul
BF Supporter 2020

I have the EL 10X42 Rangefinder and EL 12X50's and the 12X42's will be a great addition..

Click image for larger version

Name:	FF01004D-FD89-4EAE-BAFE-228923F3DD4E.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	731133
Nikon 800MM FLED, Nikon 600MM FLED, Nikon 500MM FLED,Nikon 400MM 2.8 FLED Swarovski EL 12X50 ,Swarovski 10x42 EL Rangefinder, Swarovski ATX95 Spotting Scope, Nikon D6,D5 D850 Camera, Nikon 200MM F/2G ED VR2 ,Nikon AF-S FX 300MM F/2.8 G ED VR2,Nikon 120-300MM F/2.8 , Nikon 500 F/5.6 PF

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 11:24   #130
CharleyBird

Talking about cost may be a little vulgar, but £2781 is a rather shocking price.

...one shop in the UK was discounting some EL bins by hundreds of pounds yesterday ...coincidence?

... my small collection could instead be enhanced with a Kowa Highlander 32x82 for £2999
(only219 more)

Hmmm, still thinking my next aquisition will be the 7x42 Habicht
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 11:31   #131
Renze de Vries

About the headrest, this could be a very useful accessory. For spectacle wearers and non-spectacle wearers alike. However, it should be adjustable, but is it?

Renze

Last edited by Renze de Vries : Wednesday 1st July 2020 at 15:21.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 11:49   #132
The BulbMogul
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BulbMogul View Post
I have the EL 10X42 Rangefinder and EL 12X50's and the 12X42's will be a great addition..

Attachment 731133

Click image for larger version

Name:	CB70A589-9077-483E-B216-A3591B3F6B0A.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	731134
Nikon 800MM FLED, Nikon 600MM FLED, Nikon 500MM FLED,Nikon 400MM 2.8 FLED Swarovski EL 12X50 ,Swarovski 10x42 EL Rangefinder, Swarovski ATX95 Spotting Scope, Nikon D6,D5 D850 Camera, Nikon 200MM F/2G ED VR2 ,Nikon AF-S FX 300MM F/2.8 G ED VR2,Nikon 120-300MM F/2.8 , Nikon 500 F/5.6 PF

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 12:07   #133
PeterPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renze de Vries View Post
About the headrest, this could be a very useful accessory. For spectacle wearers and non-spectacle wearers alike. However, it should be adjustable, but is it?

BTW, it's not a new invention. For instance, Ross applied it on their Spectaross, more than half a century ago.

Renze
It is adjustable.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 12:08   #134
PeterPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
The Netherlands.

Its a van Daalen plot!

Lee
Initially I suspected the same but:

NL=Nature Lover
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 12:38   #135
In Focus

UK pricing is £2370, £2410 and £2450.

To "protect" the Legend that is the EL, prices have been reduced by 10% on the 32mm models and 20% on the 42mm models. 50mm are unchanged.

SLC remains on the 10% reduction that was introduced earlier but the 42mm models are marked as "While stocks last" on the latest price list.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 12:56   #136
wllmspd

To get an intimate view some form of winged eyecups to cut out distractions can really help.... a job for the binobandit and a missing opportunity for binocular makers.

Peter
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 13:06   #137
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
I'd also assume that whatever trick they used to increase FoV is copyrighted so others will not be able to follow suit.
Well, there were plenty of wideangle binoculars in years past, some with even wider angles than this bunch, so I doubt anything will be "copyrighted".

Hermann
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 13:13   #138
OhWeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyberboreus View Post
I hope that the new NL Pure has a threaded insert in the front of the focusing knob where you can attach a tripod mount securely (to use with a monopod) as you can in the SLC series.
According to the introduction yesterday: No.

OhWeh
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 13:21   #139
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by temmie View Post
All in all, a worthy binocular (finally) that I would consider buying when comparing the top of the line, but that price seems a bit... high!
9m more fov (and 100g heavier) than the Zeiss FL 7x42 you and I both use Lieven, seems a prohibitively high price to pay for such an incremental improvement!

I'm sure these are fine (if very ugly) optics, but I can't see a real world application where they will make a difference over previous wide angle models? I'm sure somebody will say something about blurred edges, but most birders (I know and would rate as knowledgeable) look at the centre of the image and not the around the edge.

One for the all the gear and no idea brigade... or if you are feeling less harsh, knowledgeable birders with deep pockets

@axbridge_birder
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 13:23   #140
eronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
Swarovski is offering under NL warranty free installation of the forehead rest to your head.
You just have to mail yourself in a large envelope to their service center.

All of the cool rich kids are doing it.

$500 extra for a crystallized forehead rest.

$200 fee + shipping costs for removal.
Why are you making fun of this poor luxury company? It says right there on their site that the forehead rest is cushioned with recycled ostrich leather, and that healthchecked young ladies or young men from “RotLicht”, a personal service enterprise in Amsterdam NL will home-deliver, and ensure customer satisfaction.

Edmund
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 13:30   #141
Kammerdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatsonbirder View Post
9m more fov (and 100g heavier) than the Zeiss FL 7x42 you and I both use Lieven, seems a prohibitively high price to pay for such an incremental improvement!

I'm sure these are fine (if very ugly) optics, but I can't see a real world application where they will make a difference over previous wide angle models? I'm sure somebody will say something about blurred edges, but most birders (I know and would rate as knowledgeable) look at the centre of the image and not the around the edge.

One for the all the gear and no idea brigade... or if you are feeling less harsh, knowledgeable birders with deep pockets
Have you used an EL SV for ten years so you know what it's all about?

Guessing not.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 13:40   #142
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
Well, there were plenty of wideangle binoculars in years past, some with even wider angles than this bunch, so I doubt anything will be "copyrighted".

Hermann
But Herman, on the Swarovski website it tells us NL has:

"The largest-ever field of view with almost indiscernible edges"

So perhaps those earlier binos with even wider fields of view had 'discernable edges'.

Lee
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 13:43   #143
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Red face

I wonder if that video was thrown together post haste to head off a leak or something ?
It is p-a-i-n-f-u-l to watch ...... worse than an episode of the Kardashians or something !

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 13:45   #144
temmie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatsonbirder View Post

don't be so rude!

Suppose you are a very enthusiastic young (or old) birder having saved enough money to finally buy that Swarovision / Noctivid / SF you know you'll be using for the next 10-15 years, and this one comes out...
First of all you'll need to save some more but anyone shopping for the very best has one more contender to consider, and I think that's a good thing!

I have the 7x42 T*FL and indeed I don't see much benefit compared to that 8x42 NL (even though it already has a wider FOV with birds a bit closer, so that is an upgrade!). But if I ever buy another binocular, it will probably be a 10x42 with lots of eye relief, a wide FOV, a snappy, quick focuser and good ergonomics. I feel this Swaro finally ticks most of the boxes, and if it didn't exist, I would probably be only considering the 10x42 SF. Now there is a bit more choice. I actually have been thinking about buying a new pair of binoculars for some time, not because the 7x42 T*FL is letting me down, but because the longer I have them, the less I would be willing to risk them getting lost / broken / stolen during one of my travels. At least if I have another pair, I have 50% less chance (but 50% of having a very expensive SF or NL stollen / lost or broken ).

Happily, I can also just not buy any binocular at the moment as I have better ways of spending / investing my money! And my 7x42 T*FL cost me around 1100 euro back in the days... You can buy 2.5 of those for one of the new Swaro NLs! Expensive views so they'll better be good!

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 13:51   #145
ticl2184

I can't wait to get my hands on a pair of 10x42's.
However, to buy them outright I'll have to sell both my current 10x42 SV's and my 8x32 SV's...

I think a binocular over 2.5 K is a bit much... I mean, that's more than I paid for my car ����

Cheers
Tim
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 13:57   #146
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eronald View Post
Why are you making fun of this poor luxury company? It says right there on their site that the forehead rest is cushioned with recycled ostrich leather, and that healthchecked young ladies or young men from “RotLicht”, a personal service enterprise in Amsterdam NL will home-deliver, and ensure customer satisfaction.

Edmund

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:00   #147
Loud Green Man

For those BF members who also hunt with a rifle (there must a few lurking in the shadows of an inconstant moon) the forehead support feature is rather cool as it could be modified to accept a small padded V to accommodate the rifle's forend for those cross-canyon shots from the prone position

LGM
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:06   #148
jgraider

Huge Swaro fan here. Predicting that the well-healed and "gotta have the latest and greatest" guy/gal will probably get one. I find the price and the head rest contraption to be a joke. I've used one on the BTX spotting scope system. Looks good upon first glance, but a great way to introduce unsteadiness to your glass.
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:07   #149
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Green Man View Post
No pun intended but that was painful viewing.

I wonder who will offer aftermarket disposable headrest pads of the peel & stick variety? That or a suitably proportioned peice of leather glued to the plastic to improve user comfort.

LGM
Swarovski is saying the headrest pad is as efficient as the IS system on the Canon's! Wow!
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 14:07   #150
lmans66
BF Supporter 2020

Two things...

I too find it interesting that soap and brush are included as an accessory.

Second....the cost. Yes, a bit prohibitive for many. But look at the scope line they came out with. They kept the ATS line for us 'poor folks' at only $3000 US dollars w/o the $1500 tripod :-) .... but also have the ATX line that runs up to $4500 US dollars w/o that same $1500 Tripod.

Now...I have seen plenty of those set-ups in the field so know someone has the $....and can assume someone will have the $'s for this very minimal cost of a binocular.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: