• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manitoba, Carman, Fort Whyte Center April 13-19 2011 (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Carman, Fort Whyte Center April 13 – 19

List of birds has grown since last week. Lucked in and saw a Golden Crowned Kinglet on the trail on the 18th and we have Hoary Redpolls coming to our feeders. First time we have seen either of these birds.
We had a wet heavy snow last week, the birds couldn’t dig through the snow to get seed off the ground. I was surprised to see a Robin and Dark Eyed Junco’s feed at our suet feeder and some Dark Eyed Junco’s feed from our seed feeders. I even put a tray of seed on the snow, the Dark Eyed Junco’s would try and feed from the ground through the snow all around the tray and it took a while before a few actually fed from the tray.
Saw the first Pine Siskins since last fall at our feeders this past week, they were so tiny. But very aggressive, they chased Purple Finches off one of our seed feeders a number of times.
Driving through town one day last week I saw a Blue Heron fly over being chased by 2 Crows.
Water in the river has dropped at least 5 feet, it had come over the river bank and flooded a few spots on the trail. These spots as well as the incline down to the second bridge on the trail were covered with about ½ an inch of slick wet silt. I did not attempt to get down to the second bridge.
Still cool here and it snowed on and off on the 18th, but, thankfully the snow did not accumulate.
Put out our bird bath today, first bird that landed on it knocked it over. It is made of plastic and is of course top heavy. Might have to figure out a way of pinning the base to the ground.

Sightings:
Crow
Hawk (unidentified)
White Breasted Nuthatch
Dark Eyed Junco
House finch
Robin
Blue Jay
Canada Geese
Mallard
Wood Duck
Common Grackle
Chickadee
House Sparrow
Common Merganser
Purple Finch
Pine Siskin
Downy Woodpecker
Hoary Redpoll
Merlin
Blue Herron
Veery
Mourning Dove
Brown Creeper
American Goldfinch
Golden Crowned Kinglet

Attachments

• brown creeper resize IMG_3392.jpg
    brown creeper resize IMG_3392.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Golden Crowned Kinglet resize IMG_3402.jpg
    Golden Crowned Kinglet resize IMG_3402.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 56
  • hoary redpoll resize IMG_3213.jpg
    hoary redpoll resize IMG_3213.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 50
  • purple finch resize IMG_3203.jpg
    purple finch resize IMG_3203.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Quite a list! To me, anyway.

In your first paragraph you said it was the first time you've seen a Kinglet and Hoary Redpolls. Do you mean the first time ever, or just the first time this year?

It was the first time ever that we have seen the Golden Crowned Kinglet or the Hoary Redpoll. The Redpolls have been coming to our feeders several times a day since our first sighting of them. Most I've seen at one time is 3. Haven't seen the Golden Crowned Kinglet again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back