• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manitoba - Carman, Stephenfield 13 May – 20 May 2011 (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Manitoba - Carman, Stephenfield 13 May – 20 May 2011

A great week of birding, the 18th was quite exceptional, it was a day for Warblers.
There is a spot on the trail I walk that runs right along the edge of the river bank for about 30 feet, there are a few trees in the water with their branches intertwined. On the 18th I stopped there and observed a few different types of Warblers flying in and out of the branches. One was a Canada Warbler, it was continually moving but I managed to get two pictures of it. One just as its head disappeared behind a tree limb the other a full frontal shot. It was at about 25 feet so the picture is very small, enlarged it as much as I could and posted it below. Not the best shot but I feel very fortunate to have gotten it and certainly lucky to have seen a Canada Warbler.
In the 10 minutes I remained at this spot I saw a Yellow Rumped Warbler, a Wilson’s Warbler and an American Redstart. The Wilson’s and Canada Warblers did not stick around for very long.
Further down the trail I saw a Cape May Warbler, a Nashville Warbler, an Eastern Wood Peewee, a Northern Water Thrush, a Magnolia Warbler and a Blue Headed Vireo. I took almost 400 pictures on this outing and didn’t realize that I’d captured the Canada Warbler until I got home as it was that small in the viewfinder.
The Harris’s Sparrows. White Throated Sparrows, White Crowned Sparrows and Lincoln’s sparrows that had been frequenting our yard and feeders stuck around for about a week, thought they might breed here, but it seems that the one week they were here was wet and cold, the first day of warmth and sunshine they started to disappear, they were all gone by the second day.
Orioles and a Hummingbird showed up the day I put out our Oriole and Hummingbird feeders. One of the Orioles likes to eat from the Hummingbird feeder and has pried one of the wasp guards off one of the feeder ports twice now. His saving grace is that he will often perch on top of the feeder, which is about 2 feet from our window, and sing for us. Hummingbirds don’t come around much until the summer birds start to leave in August.
The Grackles had taken over pretty much all of the feeders and were scaring just about everything away. They were coming in groups of up to 8 and sticking around for extended periods of time. The Grackles were around pretty much the entire day in smaller groups and singly. I rearranged the feeders to make it more difficult for them to feed and it seems to be working. Not as many coming at once and they are not hanging around.
Finally saw a Grey Catbird, actually 2 of them together, one of them posed very nicely for me at a distance of about 6 feet.
Seeing some juveniles at our feeders this week, Oriole, House finch and House Sparrow, so far, and maybe a juvenile Brown Thrasher.

Carman

Grey Catbird
Yellow Warbler
Downy Woodpecker
Belted Kingfisher
Wood Duck
Cape May Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Eastern Wood Peewee
Northern Waterthrush
Mallard
Wilson’s Warbler
Canada Warbler
Blue Headed Vireo
American Redstart
White Breasted Nuthatch
Meadowlark
Clay Colored Sparrow
Magnolia Warbler
Ruby Throated Humming Bird
Baltimore Oriole
Hermit Thrush
Chickadee
Rose Breasted Grosbeak
Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers
Common Grackles
House Sparrow
White Throated Sparrow
Harris’s Sparrow
Lincoln’s Sparrow
Pine Siskin
Brown Thrasher
Brown Headed Cowbird
American Goldfinch
House Finch
Robin
Chipping Sparrow
Blue Jay
Black and White Warbler
Yellow Rumped Warbler
White Crowned Sparrow
Northern Rough Winged Swallow
Mourning Dove

Stephenfield – 14 May 2011

Meadowlark
Mourning Dove
Brown Headed Cowbird
Common Loon
White Throated Sparrow
Swainson’s Thrush
Greater Yellowlegs
Ruby Crowned Kinglet
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Robin
Crow
Hawk (unidentified)
Wild Turkey
Blue Headed Vireo

Attachments

• American Redstart  IMG_60100.jpg
    American Redstart IMG_60100.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Canada Warbler IMG_60188b.jpg
    Canada Warbler IMG_60188b.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 46
  • cape may warbler IMG_61577.jpg
    cape may warbler IMG_61577.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 44
  • red necked grebe IMG_5291.jpg
    red necked grebe IMG_5291.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Wilson’s Warbler IMG_60344.jpg
    Wilson’s Warbler IMG_60344.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Hi Darrell
That was an exceptional day. Went out today and didn't see to much. I was really surprised to see so many Warblers and Vireo's in such a short period of time. The Canada Warbler was a bird I really wanted to see. Hope to see it again and get a better photo. I wonder if the flooding south of us is affecting the migration route this year.
Hope some birds arrive for you soon, it was a long and seemingly birdless winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back