• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in June in Vancouver Island (1 Viewer)

Neil Robins

Hi Cristiana,

I received this message and am not able to reply if you could please e-mail me at [email protected] and I will get back to you

Neil Robins
Parksville
B.C.

Hello,
we are a family of birders from Italy (Tuscany). We are coming to British Columbia and in particular to the Vancouver and Vancouver Island areas in June (3-20).
I have already posted a request for information on Birdforum, but I haven't received many replies about Vancouver Island itself. I have read your weekly reports from the Nanaimo/Parksville area so I thought that you would probably be able to give us some tips about birding on the Island. We are also thinking of joining one of your walks (probably on June 7) so that, with the help of local birders, we can get to know better the local birdlife. I have been to the area before (but I had just started birdwatching then) as we have non-birding friends who live in Vancouver, but for my husband and our 10-year old daughter it will be the first time birding outside of Europe.
We are aware that this is probably not the best time for birding, but we hope to see the other wildlife as well (and the scenery!).
We were thinking of spending the first 2-3 days in the Vancouver area for some sightseeing and easy birding (Reifel Sanctuary? Stanley park? Iona Island?) and then move to Vancouver Island. Ideally we would spend at least one night on the east coast and then 7-8 days in the Pacific Rim area.
At the end of our trip we would like to fit in some mountain birding (Manning Park has been suggested), but some friends also advised us to visit Port Hardy and the north of Vancouver Island.
Could you give us some ideas on how it is best to split our holiday, especially the last week? Are there any other places you can suggest?
Also, any information and tips you could give us on birding locations in the greater Vancouver area and on Vancouver Island would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for you help!

Cristiana Marti, Gianni and Martina Chiancianesi
Abbadia San Salvatore, Siena
Italy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back