• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian blackbird (1 Viewer)

Sonia

Apparently, when I'm in Italy, I may get to see a Eurasian blackbird. I thought I'd check in Collins (Britain and Europe) so that I know what it looks like, but it's not there!

Have I misunderstood 'Eurasian'? Is, perhaps, a Eurasian blackbird the same as a British one?

Here's hoping this isn't a striped paint question!

Finally, does anyone know how I'd recognise a striped blackbird?

Sonia

Same bird Sonia, we British just cannot agree on bird names. We stated out with lots of single names like blackbird, oystercatcher, wren etc. One day we realised that there was actually a world out there even if it wasn't our empire any more. As birders travelled they saw new wrens etc. so we started to think that just single names might not be enough. Since then a degree of chaos has reigned deciding on full names that are commonly used by all!!!

James

There are three races of Blackbird that can be found across the region, the nominate race T.m.merula (common or eurasian)occurs across Europe except for the southern Balkans and Greece where the race T.m.aterrimus replaces it, this race is slightly smaller and weaker-billed. Then there is the race T.m.syriacus, which can be found in south-east Turkey, it is slightly greyer with a longer bill.
The bird you would have seen in Italy is the same (nominate) race as the ones in the UK

Thanks for the info. It will help. Confusingly, (for me) some entries in Collins are designated 'Eurasian' in the bird name (E. Woodcock, E. Collared Dove, for example) and then the blackbird is just designated as 'common'. I guess it's just something you become accustomed to .

With thanks
Sonia
PS Last line of my original should read 'Eurasian' not 'striped'. I don't know why I think I can compose e-mails in the early morning - I obviously can't!

Birds with different names in different places is a common problem when travelling abroad. The only sure way to avoid confusion is to use the latin names. I have prowsed through bird guides in a local bookshop to confirm names.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back