• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (1 Viewer)

I didn't think my female hoverfly in post '337' wasn't easy to ID, at least the genus :-C

Anyway, this male was pretty common around the same location and I even thought about the possibility of being the same species of my previous post although they look rather different. I thought it could be a Pipizella but it also could be a Melanostoma. I am lost with these little ones. Help, Please!!

Eupeodes

Hello,

I presume 'British Hoverflies' by Stubbs is still the book to have so I wanted to ask what the latest edition is and if there is a new one in the offing. I ask as I would rather wait if there is a new one due. Amazon do not have any copies which arouses my suspicions.

Regards,
Andrew.

Thanks for your latest replies, Ficedula!! :t:

Being able to place those two in a genus is what I did need to start to locate the rest of the similar ones I found. I am pretty sure now that what I took initially for 1 species is going to turn out to be at least 3!! :eek!:

While I work on the hundreds of pictures of tiny hoverflies I have to sort out, here comes another Eristalis. I would bet it isn't tenax, pertinax or horticola, which would make it the 4th Eristalis species of my holidays in England o:) Not sure it can be IDed but, can it be Eristalis arbustorum? If it cannot be said for sure, which other species is it most likely to be?

Again taken in a meadow in the Midlands on August the 19th. Unfortunately I didn't managed to get a lateral view before it flew away :-C

Attachments

• Eristalis sp BF.jpg
    Eristalis sp BF.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Eristalis BF.jpg
    Eristalis BF.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 53
Hello,

I presume 'British Hoverflies' by Stubbs is still the book to have so I wanted to ask what the latest edition is and if there is a new one in the offing. I ask as I would rather wait if there is a new one due. Amazon do not have any copies which arouses my suspicions.

Regards,
Andrew.

look here, as far as i know copies still available, i do not think edition 3 is at all imminent

Eristalis sp. need face view to say more

Unfortunately it was very uncooperative and flew away too quick before I managed any lateral or frontal shots. I have a bit blurred shot of it when I started to try to get its face but doesn't show much. It is the first attachment, just in case it is of any help.

Pics 2 and 3 are just confirmations. I think pic 2 is Melangyna umbellatarum and pic 3 Siritta pipiens. Both taken in Brandon Marsh.

Pics 4 and 5 are a totally unknown one for me. It was found in that meadow in the Midlands too.

Thanks a lot for your help and your patience, Ficedula!! :t: I don´t know if it is good or bad news for you but there aren´t many species left for ID as I am only posting the ones that I got decent pics of and there is a chance for ID.

Attachments

• Eristalis_sp BF.jpg
    Eristalis_sp BF.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Melangyna_umbellatarum BF.jpg
    Melangyna_umbellatarum BF.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Syritta_pipiens BF.jpg
    Syritta_pipiens BF.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 57
  • HV Black 1 BF.jpg
    HV Black 1 BF.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 49
  • HV Black 2 BF.jpg
    HV Black 2 BF.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 51
Unfortunately it was very uncooperative and flew away too quick before I managed any lateral or frontal shots. I have a bit blurred shot of it when I started to try to get its face but doesn't show much. It is the first attachment, just in case it is of any help.

Pics 2 and 3 are just confirmations. I think pic 2 is Melangyna umbellatarum and pic 3 Siritta pipiens. Both taken in Brandon Marsh.

Pics 4 and 5 are a totally unknown one for me. It was found in that meadow in the Midlands too.

Thanks a lot for your help and your patience, Ficedula!! :t: I don´t know if it is good or bad news for you but there aren´t many species left for ID as I am only posting the ones that I got decent pics of and there is a chance for ID.

Eristalis sp
Melangyna sp (cant go to species without specimen)
Syritta pipiens
Cheilosia sp (specimen needed)
Cheilosia sp

Eristalis sp
Melangyna sp (cant go to species without specimen)
Syritta pipiens
Cheilosia sp (specimen needed)
Cheilosia sp

Thanks again, Ficedula!! :t:

This post is mainly for confirmations:

1- Sericomyia silentis
2- Eupeodes luniger
3&4- Not very convinced about this one. An Eristalis I believe. Can it be Eristalis interruptus=nemorum? That black spot in the wing near the edge seems too noticeable comparing with pictures I have seen. But it is supposed to be an ID tip for that hoverfly.

Attachments

• Common Bog HV BF.jpg
    Common Bog HV BF.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Eupeodes_luniger BF.jpg
    Eupeodes_luniger BF.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Eristalis sp BF.jpg
    Eristalis sp BF.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Eristalis front BF.jpg
    Eristalis front BF.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Hello,

I took this image last month and it is the only one I have. The angle makes it difficult for me to name this one so is it possible or should I just catalougue it away as a 'hoverfly species'?

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• TRIMMED HOVERFLY.jpg
    TRIMMED HOVERFLY.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 87
This large hoverfly was photographed on Gotland, Sweden on 30th June 2010. It's probably something easy and I think I've seen it on a poster but now I can't seem to find it.

Attachments

• IMG_5724.jpg
    IMG_5724.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 66
Thanks Aeshna and Ficedula for your last replay! :t:

Another little hover from that famous meadow in the Midlands. I think it is a Platycheirus of some kind, no idea if it can be IDed to species level.

Attachments

• Platycheirus sp 1 BF.jpg
    Platycheirus sp 1 BF.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Platycheirus sp 2 BF.jpg
    Platycheirus sp 2 BF.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Platycheirus sp 3 BF.jpg
    Platycheirus sp 3 BF.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Platycheirus sp 4 BF.jpg
    Platycheirus sp 4 BF.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Platycheirus sp 5 BF.jpg
    Platycheirus sp 5 BF.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 54
Norwegian Hoverfly

Hi
This one is photographed in far southern Norway, August 19th.
I have been checking the Swedish "Nationalnyckeln" vols 1 and 2 in search for this hoverfly which I thought would be quite easy. But no. I'm completely stuck.
I would be very grateful for some ID-help. Thanks.

Leif

Attachments

• IMG_5183.jpg
    IMG_5183.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 57

Users who are viewing this thread

Back