• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Live view (1 Viewer)

Paul Corfield

Had my Canon 450D for quite a while now and not really used the live view function until this week and now I'm using it nearly all the time. The reason I've found it useful is because when selected it locks the mirror up so photos taken while in live view mode wont suffer any camera shake from mirror slap. I'm focusing conventionally through the viewfinder and once the scope is focused I press the quick select button that's assigned to live view and then proceed to take the photos via the shutter release cable. I've found my shots are coming out very sharp using this method. I've also found that the metering while in live view mode is a lot more accurate than when not in live view. Lastly if needs be you can fine tune the focus while in live view which I've found also gives that little bit of extra sharpness.

For moving subjects I just stick to focusing in the viewfinder.

Paul.

Paul, I have wondered when you would get around to it, I have been playing with it for quite some time, and like you find it very useful, but I still like the angle veiwfinder, as it enlarges the viewfinder, making it easier for focusing. Ernie

Paul,

I recently purchased a 40D and find the Live View function a great help in achieving accurate focus when the camera is attached to my scope. As you say, the lack of mirror slap is a bonus too. My 20D vibrates slightly when remotely activating the shutter which frequently caused shake when I didn't use mirror lock-up.

Personnaly, I HATE Live View. I wear progressive lenses and I find it impossible to focus accurately on a LCD screen. Accurate focus is not possible because the brain will automatically adjust the position of the eyes to get the best focus available, giving so-so results. On the other hand, I can use the viewfinder without glasses by adjusting the diopter control - I can then focus accurately.

Another reason I don't like Live View is that it becomes difficult to read under strong light. Shades and other protecting means have to be used to allow viewing the image.

Mirror slap should not be a problem at decent speeds. However, given the high magnification, a very small movement shows up big time, much more than with regular lenses. Mirror lock-up is always available but it is indeed no fun to use...

Paul, Live View surely works for you, given the usual sharpness of your images. But it doesn't work for me for the reasons mentioned above. IMO, the availability of a through-the-lens viewfinder is THE major advantage of DSLRs over P&S cameras in digiscoping.

I'm basically still focusing through the viewfinder but just using live view as an easy way to keep the mirror locked up. Agreed you can't see all that much on the screen but there's just enough to see if the bird is where you want it in the frame. I've seen a difference even on my usually sharp images. The live view ones are slightly sharper when viewed at 100% but the main difference is the catchlights on the eye are sharp points of light instead of showing the slightest sign of movement.

Paul.

use it most anytime the camera is mounted on the scope,, extremely useful when doing macro work,, have even had the camera shut down on a very hot day so the sensor would not overheat,, live view was on for about 10 minutes and then the camera powered off with the overheat possible message,,

would never consider another camera if it did not offer,,

Jules the totally movable screen on my E3 certainly helps in the viewing process,, easy to position so the sun is not overpowering and I wear glasses to read so have them on with live view but can position the screen so I can read and is certainly a neck saver,,

Derry

Personnaly, I HATE Live View. I wear progressive lenses and I find it impossible to focus accurately on a LCD screen. Accurate focus is not possible because the brain will automatically adjust the position of the eyes to get the best focus available, giving so-so results. On the other hand, I can use the viewfinder without glasses by adjusting the diopter control - I can then focus accurately.

I don't understand your first argument. If the image on the LCD display is not in focus, there is not a whole lot your brain or eyes can do to "focus" it...

I don't understand your first argument. If the image on the LCD display is not in focus, there is not a whole lot your brain or eyes can do to "focus" it...

I should have written "EXACTLY in focus". Progressive lenses have a different power depending where you look through the lens. The brain positions the head so that the line of sight goes through the lens at the position that provides the best image. Also, if I hunt for focus, moving my head up and down, there will be a position where the image is in focus - unfortunately, I don't know if it is the real focus or one given by my glasses. Of course, this situation happens only when the image is slightly out of focus - there is a limit to the correction.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back