• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about Orangutan/Komodo Dragon tours (1 Viewer)

ChadJNYC

Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of making a trip to Indonesia with my wife. My problem--one that I'm sure many of you must have when you travel--is that my better half is not as crazy about birds as I am. She's happy enough to see megafauna and some of the more spectacular birds but not enough to suffer for it like I would. If I were traveling solo, I would definitely be looking at some of the more intensive jungle treks but, since I have to compromise, I was looking at the orangutan and komodo dragon tours with the thinking that I'd get to see, well, orangutans and komodo dragons, but that I'd probably run into a fair amount of great birds as well without making my wife suffer camping in a tent in the jungle or standing around for 15 minutes while I try to get a picture of an LBJ. So, after that long preamble my question is this: I fear some of these tours are little more than glorified trips to the zoo, especially the komodo dragon tours. Has anyone been on these and, if so, would you recommend them?

Thanks

--Chad

Do not expect many birds on Komodo... there is a bird sanctuary/forest reserve a couple of hours from Labuhan Bajo though, I have not been there - but it is made for birds by birders:) Labuhan Bajo is the town you go to Komodo from... You have two opportunities for Orangutan in Indonesia... Sumatra or Kalimantan

Sumatra - Easiest access point is Bukit Lawang and you will find the Apes while hiking.

Borneo (Kalimantan): I believe Tanjung Puting is the main place here - If I am not mistaking you hire a boat with a room and cruise the rivers and spot animals... this may be pleasent for your better half just to kick back on the deck while you look for other birds through your binoculars :D

I think Kalimantan would be the most interesting place for birders aswell...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back