• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Videoscoping and dust (1 Viewer)

Railoe

Dont know if this is the appropriate subforum to ask this, but...

How do you deal with dust in videoscoping(doable in still images to clear them), or is this caused by my equipment.
I have the Kowa 883 scope with TSN-P7 adapter and the 25-60zoom with Nikon D7200 camera, and I cant stand the videofootage I get because of the huge amount of dust...

So is the dust that shows up in video from the scope or eyepiece, or from camera sensor ?
There are just so many surfaces of glass I dont get how people get so clear videos that I see without any dust spots ?

Using the eyepiece zoom just makes the spots darker...

Hi,

I'd say the first suspect is indeed dust on the sensor because usually dust on optical surfaces is not an issue as it will not be sharp in the picture and thus invisible. Actually it is sometimes mentioned in reviews as a flaw that dust on the entry element of the ocular is shown sharp.

Do you get the same dust when using the Nikon D7200 with some objective? And do you see dust when looking through the Kowa plus zoom with your eye?

Joachim

Thx for the quick reply, I also first suspected the camera sensor, just wasnt sure could the scope+eyepiece and adapter add more spots. There are no visible dust spots when using the scope, and max zooming to a bright white skye.

Tested the camera with my objective, haven't used it in a week and can see dust from F10 onwards more clearly.

So im wondering how can you guys have so dust free videos. I purchased this camera 1½months ago, and had a objective mounted on it and now the kowa PA7(with glass) for a week and still im having these huge amount of dust. They arent visible with around F5-10. Im not sure how air tight the adapter is if walking with it on outside could still capture those tiny dust particles...:C
Is this a problem for DLSR users, or do you keep cleaning the camera sensor all the time, cant really see im getting rid of all the dust ?
For pictures its doable to use spot removal but editing a 5min long dust free video every day seems too much.

Hi,

I have to leave the question about DLSR video experiences to those owning and using one for videoscoping. I have only tried it with an afocal adapter and a compact cam which obviously does not have this problem as the sensor is not accessible.

I hope you can solve this problem someway... you might want to try the open source software avidemux which offers quite a lot of video filters if there's something which removes the spots without killing the video quality....

http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=using:video_filters

Joachim

Yeah there is of course the post processing option but wouldn't want to go that road, like I said still images are manageable but not video.
Blows my mind at the moment how people can get so dust free videos with dlsr I have almost brand new camera and still have dust that shows up.
Dont know if I need a prime lens between scope and camera so I can change the aperture to lowest possible:smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back