• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying second hand binoculars. Where? (1 Viewer)

Pair of Nikon EDG 7x42 in the classifieds forum posted today

Yes - and a pair of Swaro’s, but at $800 and $770 USD respectively they are about $300-400 outside my budget. I have $200 on hand from selling a nice pair of Nikon E 8x30 porros, and I would like to escape without spending more than an additional $200 if I can.

Tomly if it was me I would check this thread out, long thread. I have a Kenko-Tokina Ultraview EX OP DHII 8x32 binocular that a fellow kindly sold me at a decent price and I like it a lot and I think it might be similar to the other models like the Sightron Blue Sky. Also look at Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 there is a very long thread on the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 there is a Fuji model of what looks a lot like the other two. There is also a very nice equipment review section on Bird Forum as well.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793

Thank you for the recommendations, but I’m wanting to find a 7x42 because I specifically want an exit pupil that is much more generous than an 8x30/8x32. I sold my Nikon E 8x30 because I simply felt frustrated by the precise eye position needed to avoid clipping/black outs. I just never found them comfortable enough to become immersed in my viewing.

The Opticron Discovery 7x42 is my most realistic option - but perhaps I’ll be rewarded for some patience and persistence.

Tomly,

If you want a real good 7x42 in your price range then by all means look at the Opticron Discovery WP PC 7x42.

It has a wide 7.8º FOV; (408'@1000yds) and lots of eye relief @ 25mm! I have one and it is a real pleasure to use. No blackouts at all.

I ordered mine from Honey Creek Bill and Beak in Lewistown, PA and got excellent service from Gordon there and from Opticron in North Carolina. The diopter wheel was excessively stiff and I had trouble moving it. I sent it back to Opticron in Huntersville, NC and they fixed it and returned it to me in one week.

Bob

Last edited:
Tomly,

If you want a real good 7x42 in your price range then by all means look at the Opticron Discovery WP PC 7x42.

It has a wide 7.8º FOV; (408'@1000yds) and lots of eye relief @ 25mm! I have one and it is a real pleasure to use. No blackouts at all.

I ordered mine from Honey Creek Bill and Beak in Lewistown, PA and got excellent service from Gordon there and from Opticron in North Carolina. The diopter wheel was excessively stiff and I had trouble moving it. I sent it back to Opticron in Huntersville, NC and they fixed it and returned it to me in one week.

Bob
Bob, B&H has the Opticron Discovery WP PC 7x42 for $249
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1396008-REG/opticron_30468_7x42_discovery_wp_pc.html

I would ask them to check out the binocular before they shipped though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back