• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven C.2 7x28 (2 Viewers)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with this binocular. From the specs, it looks rather compact but it does not have a generous field of view. Is it a clone of any existing binoculars from another maker?

I happen to like my Meopro 6.5x32, so I doubt that this glass would truly tickle my fancy but the demo is only $180.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Arthur,

I haven't tried this model, but the chassis bears a strong resemblance to that of the Vortex Viper 8x28 and the old Pentax 9x28. These were both compact models, and, like the Maven, suffered from constricted fields of view. I would not consider this to be a competitor to the old Meopro, which, notwithstanding its size, is a joy to use. However, it might be a viable alternative to the Bushnell Custom 7x26. Compared to the Bushnell, the Maven has a larger exit pupil, is more compact, and is waterproof. The Bushnell has the advantage in the size of the field of view.

Attachments

• DSCN2013.JPG
    DSCN2013.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 368
Just a bit of idle speculation. The Maven is assembled in the Philippines from Japanese and Chinese components, so I think there is a very good chance it's made by Kenko at their place in Cebu. Kenko make binoculars for quite a number of companies, particularly Pentax, so I wouldn't be surprised if the C3 was somehow related to the 9x28 even if assembled in different countries. The AFoV of the Pentax 9x is 50°, like the Maven 10x28, but the 7x is 45.5°. .

David

Last edited:
Hello David and Peatmoss,

I thank you for the useful information. I will stick with the Meopro for lower power work or use my Dialyt 7x42. The latter is a bit larger but it has a great view.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

I've got C2 7x28 in DEMO version a week ago and can share my brief review. I prefer low mag binoculars for general use.
My apologizes for the text, as English is not my native language.

Maven provided the binoculars, a neck strap and a soft storage bag. No objective or eyepiece caps, and no protective case.

The binoculars is well made, covered with pleasant soft touch plastic, which does not "cool" hands. Focus wheel is a little slippery, rotating is on the stiff side, but works good.
There is no any flop of the focuser, focusing lenses go synchronous in both barrels while focusing closer\further. (This is usually not true about cheap Roof binoculars, Vanguard binoculars and i saw the same issue with Nikon HG 8x42).
Eyecups have three steps forward with intermediate stops. I measured eye relief around 10-11mm from the collapsed eyecup. So the eye relief can be 11-8-4-0mm.
Ergonomic and materials are good. But the covering is detouching from the inner tube a little in one place (flaps when touching) in my sample .

First view through the binoculars is very impressive! Very bright and clear view, with very good color reproduction. The white balance is excellent, i can hardly see a red\yellow tint. The view is close to my Swarovski Habicht 8x30 Porro. I believe C2 7x28 has 90% light transmission and quite flat multicoatings. Multicoatings efficiency looks similar to Habicht MC. But then i noticed some internal reflections from lenses edges (a fuzzy haze of light in the bottom part of view overlaying the image) which spoil the view and make colors soft a little. Baffling is not a strong point of C2.

Sharpness on axis is good, similar to Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50, but a bit less, then in Leica Trinovid BN 7x42. Stars sparkle a little on axis (not a pin point), which can be the trace of astigmatism.
It looks like the magnification is more close to 6.5x, then to 7x, when comparing to Leica. Effective aperture is 27mm.
Easy of view is not similar to full size binoculars. I need some time to position my eyes at image axis.
If you miss the image axis (or proper IPD), then eye pupils will be trunked. And you will be looking not through a circle, but through an ellipse.

Eye pupil vignetting is more than 50%, but i don't see any darkening at edges.

Chromatic aberration is quit low on axis, there is an ED glass used for sure. But quite annoying at edges. The CA level is less, then in Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50, but a little more, then in Leica Trinovid BN 7x42.

The field of view is 6.5-6.8 degrees, a little more, than advertised. My sample has serial number 2606.

C2 has a pincushion distortion of middle level or a little stronger than middle.

If there are bright lamps in the field of view, C2 shows little spikes with low intensity.

Overall, I like C2 7x28. It's a keeper.

Last edited:
I agreee.

Have tried a few of the same size before and am not personally interested in such a small size but liked the format of this review.

Think it manages to discuss several points very well which makes it of general interest, thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back