• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pics I.D & Advice please (1 Viewer)

pie

Hi All,
Can anyone help please? My I.D. skills are pretty poor and my photo skills not much better. My passion for birds and wildlife means I'm determined to improve. (with a liitle help from my friends) :)

I will be getting a sea/wetland bird I.D soon. In the meantime, the 4 pics below were taken on Sunday at Roath Park Lake. No 5 was taken in my garden today. (I've some idea but not 100%)

The quality of pics from Roath Park are quite good for me!!
I used the same camera for all!! Roll on autum when I enroll in photo class.
Most of my garden pics are poor yet the lake ones look sharper.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks All.

Attachments

• P1010515.JPG
    P1010515.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010518.JPG
    P1010518.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010520.JPG
    P1010520.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 38
  • P1010523.JPG
    P1010523.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010527.JPG
    P1010527.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 57
Hi Pie,

They look to me like 1 & 2. Ruddy Shelduck (will be an escape), 3. Black-Headed Gull (moulting), 4. Juv Lesser Black-Backed Gull (could be juv Herring, not easy to tell from that angle), 5. Juv Male Sparrowhawk.

The last one looks as though you took it through a window?

Keep taking, remember P & L! With a digital it just doesn't matter, take them and throw them away and just keep the best. Get a bigger memory card and let rip.

Cheers, Bill.

PS Fill up that feeder! B

Agreed on the ID's.

It could be flare on the lens with the Sparrowhawk - CA (chromatic aberration) is quite marked - the blue fringing - more usually assoc with digiscoping. It does have a softish 'through the window look'. You can sometimes get a way with such shots if looking straight through (90°) but if the camera is at an angle to the glass - especially double glazing then results are usually very soft.

Hi Pie,
Lovely pics!
I agree about the R.Shelduck and Sparrowhawk.......but being a woman I don't "do" gulls!!! lol!!!!
Far too complicated for me to get me 'ead round!!! :brains:
Best wishes,

Hi All,

Thanks Bill for the I.D's and confirmation from others.
This highlights my problem, my I.D skills were OK,ish untill I started making lists, but now somthing happens to me ole noggin between looking at a bird then checking the book to I.D it!!!! (its probably lack of confidence)

For example; The Ruddy Shellduck was the first thing I looked up when I got home on Sunday, it looks nothing like the book. Can you explain the term "escape" please?
The Sparrowhawk also caused me a problem, once again, I knew it before looking it up, then doubted myself. I'm not going to tell you what my final thoughts were for fear of being Banished from the forum!!!
In my defence, juv's are more difficult to I.D

Thanks for the info Ian,
Yes it was taken through a window, so I have posted some pics to show a better comparison.
The pic's show a combination from recent events.
A farm, wetland area and the garden.
The farm pics are clear and brightly coloured, I chose the dark wetland pic to demonstrate how clear the pic can be even that light. The garden pic is typical of the poor quality (I have dozens more like it)
I know it's difficult to advise re: taking photo's so I won't "hog" the thread with a list of questions. I just wanted to show out of interest really.
I hope to find out more at the Birdfair.

Thanks Pam & Ruth, I know what you mean about Gulls :) :) But now I take the camera everwhere with me I cant resist!!!!!

P.S.Well spotted Bill (feeder) teehee!

Bye for now all

Attachments

• P1010330.JPG
    P1010330.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 31
  • P1010352.JPG
    P1010352.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010442-2.JPG
    P1010442-2.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010196.JPG
    P1010196.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 34
  • P1010276.JPG
    P1010276.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 35
Hi Pie,

By 'escape' I mean't that it was either a bird that had 'got away' from a collection or (more likely thinking about it) a bird that is part of a wildfowl collection at Roath, either way you can't 'tick' it as it's not a genuine wild bird. By the way, do they still row on the lake there? I did some very pleasant 'courting' rowing around there back in my RAF days. Enough!

As regards the problem with photos in your garden I'd need more info but I note that you're getting bigger images/close-ups in the garden shots which suggests that either you're using a bigger lens or you're enlarging the shots more. If it's a bigger lens then your problem is most likely camera shake, if it's enlargement then you're simply running out of pixels, with digital cameras you can't enlarge like you can from film. Try taking the garden shots using the same settings as for the farm ones (like those by the way, nice photos) and let's see the shot AS TAKEN, without enlarging.

Hope that helps. Bill.

Hi Pie,

They are very good photos, especially the Pig, LBB Gull, and Cockerel....all lovely photos.

Don't worry about the IDing, I think the nerves also set in when we're about to put names to the Birds with intentions of putting them onto the board. Don't worry though and just keep on practicing, that alone will gradually get you much better. Meanwhile all of us here are only too glad to be of help with IDs or photography any time.

Just take it easy and practice with the Birds and photos; we've ALL been where you are now - I promise you! All best wishes,

Sue

Hi All,

Thanks Dizzy, he is lovely. I saw him the day before when he did the classic "look Back" but did'nt have the camera to hand. I think there are too many birds in the garden for him to cause harm (I hope)!!!

Thank you so much Sue for your support and encouragement.
You have really "hit the nail on the head" I have been worrying a bit about "getting it right". In fact I do feel better for "comming out" as a novice.
It's a nicer place to be, & I'm finding out new things as a result! lol :)

You have a good sound knowledge base Bill, & I will learn from your advice.
Thank you for taking the time to help.
P.S.
Yes, you can still row at Roath Park Lake.
If you ever fancy re-visiting, I will gladly meet up with you. I will row the boat & you can I.D all the birds.
Second thoughts.... You can row the boat AND I.D the birds!!!!
(I will just smile sweetly) :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back