• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First go at star test, help with results (1 Viewer)

wokka

Good evening,

I’ve just conducted an artificial star test on my second hand Kowa 773 with a 1.6 extender at 96x

Could anyone give me some advice on what I’m seeing, how good the scope is and especially what is the yellow line through the picture. I’m hoping to get a 883 next year and want to ensure I get a descent one by star testing it.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• BB4C2D82-7667-4B5F-A437-E7322133DFFA.jpg
    BB4C2D82-7667-4B5F-A437-E7322133DFFA.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 3603AB04-167C-4E0F-B236-605DEBF1F5D0.jpg
    3603AB04-167C-4E0F-B236-605DEBF1F5D0.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 98
Hi,

much less defocus is needed, you want 5 rings or so.

As for the line - roof prism edge was my first thought too, but it would be shocking if it was that visible... Also quite a coincidence to get it so nicely centered... As a first measure I would try to rotate the artificial star and check the line...

Joachim

I agree there's far too much defocus. As for the line, if it's the roof edge of the scope it should be vertical unless the scope barrel has been rotated. Are you photographing through a roof prism binocular or small scope placed behind the 773's eyepiece?

I’ll give it another go tomorrow. I’m taking the picture with an iPhone Kowa scope attachment.

Any tips for taking pictures/ getting usable results with this setup?

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

apart from too much defocus the images look very usable. What distance is your artificial star at? 30m or so would be great.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back