• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nebraska flycatcher (1 Viewer)

SheriDi

These pictures aren't the best as I was taking them from a distance through the brush. They were taken at Lake Ogallala, Nebraska last month. If I go by the ranges shown in Sibleys I'm left with Eastern Wood-Pewee, possibly Cordilleran, Willow or Least Flycatcher. The eye-ring appears to be pretty bold and there is no crest which makes me think (guess) Least?

Attachments

• 40D-4143.jpg
    40D-4143.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 40D-4150.jpg
    40D-4150.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 125
I can eliminate pewee. The bird is an empidonax, and the eye ring looks too strong for willow (although the habitat appears to be good for willow). But beyond that, I won't guess.

Agree on Empid. sp.

I think this is Willow:
Habitat is not right for Least.
Bill is too long.
Tail looks too broad to me.
Head doesn't look big enough.

Least is only found in Nebraska in migration and they migrate early so I would think that there would be no Leasts around when this photo was taken.

Sibley's does say that the Willow Flycatcher is found in low, brushy habitats, often near water which is where I took these pictures. . . . . .

Probably best not to ID an empid by location or habitat in the middle of migration!

True but I did provide four points which I consider definitive for this bird (unless perhaps it is an Alder Flycatcher). I was just saying that Least appears to be uncommon to very uncommon in Nebraska in migration and that it seemed a bit late for them. I didn't know what the date was before. I agree now that Least is possible in Nebraska on the date provided but by field marks I still don't think it is a Least.

I have been looking at the photos and the more I look at them the less sure I am. I am very familiar with Least and have seen it hundreds of times. And I have never seen one quite like this.
But I did find a few photos of Leasts that looked pretty similar on Google images.
I could find no photos of Willow that had this bold of an eyering.

Pete Dunne says of the Least "Avoids open unwooded areas" and he is talking about in migration. He mentions the tear at the back of the eye on Least which this bird has so that points to Least.

I just can't see how a Least could have that large of a bill.

It's to bad that the primary projection isn't more visible not like that could settle the matter but it might help.

I have been looking at the photos and the more I look at them the less sure I am. I am very familiar with Least and have seen it hundreds of times. And I have never seen one quite like this.
But I did find a few photos of Leasts that looked pretty similar on Google images.
I could find no photos of Willow that had this bold of an eyering.

Pete Dunne says of the Least "Avoids open unwooded areas" and he is talking about in migration. He mentions the tear at the back of the eye on Least which this bird has so that points to Least.

I just can't see how a Least could have that large of a bill.

It's to bad that the primary projection isn't more visible not like that could settle the matter but it might help.

Agree with your thorough analysis. At this point, I would file this one under "Empidonax species".

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back