• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (3 Viewers)

Other birds seen today:

Singing Willow Warbler and Reed Warbler at Porter's Mill.
Singing Common Whitethroat, Yellowhammers and Linnets plus a drake Mandarin (on small pond) near Mayhouse Cottages.
Common Whithroats at Linacre bridge and Tapenhall.
3 Sedge Warblers at Linacre bridge plus Lesser Whitethroat and Willow Warbler.
Lesser Whitethroat at Moat Farm.
Lesser Whitethroat at Copcut Lane.
2 Kestrels near Chatley, Buzzards and Sparrowhawks.
2 Greylags over Mildenham.
Swallows thinly spread.

CIrca 50 Linnets in field along Copcut Lane yesterday evening.

Butterflies included many Orange Tips, Brimstones, Speckled Woods, 1 Green-veined White and Small Tortoiseshells.

2 Muntjac near Knight's Grove and a Stoat near Linacres paddocks.

Last edited:
Barn Owl appeared around the same time this evening.

The Gropper only sang a couple of times and very briefly.

36 Sand Martins and 3 Swallows roosted.

The Wheatear was still in the same field early evening.

Grasshopper Warbler singing about 100yds up from Mildenham mill on oppsite bank of canal

Cheers Phil, Possibly the same one I heard from Tapenhall - it seemed to be coming from the canal area near the rough patch behind Tapenhall pool (between Tapenhall and Mildenham). I'm at work today so didn't have time to pinpoint it.

Other birds this morning - Reed Warbler and 2+Sedge Warblers Coney Meadow, Lesser Whitethroat nearby. Reed Warblers Porter's Mill lock area, Sedge Warbler and Coot at Tapenhall pool.

Tawny Owl yesterday evening calling from Salwarpe. I have heard Tawny Owls calling in the middle of the day several times this year - especially around 'Christmas Tree Wood' at Porter's Mill.

Cuckoo singing and showing well in Coney Meadow mI'd morning.

Lesser Whitethroat and Common Whitethroat in Coney and scattered over the Patch.

Holly Blues and Commas amongst the butterflies.

Many more Reed Warblers and Sedge Warblers in Coney and elsewhere.

Willow Warblers at Chawson Lane allotments, Mildenham and Linacre bridge areas.

Last edited:
A Grasshopper Warbler sang briefly by the viewing screen early this evening but then went quiet.

50+ Sand Martins and a Swallow roosted.

A Tawny Owl called from Salwarpe.

Two Cuckoos in the Tapenhall - Mildenham area this morning.

2 House Martins over Hawford.

Singing Willow Warbler Tapenhall and one or two elsewhere.

3 Gadwall over New Mill. 2 Greylags over Mildenham.

1 House Martin over the house but amazingly I do believe i've just had a Woodcock fly fast and low south towards Copcut Lane, shrieking as it went. Quite a sight.

That was only my 2nd Marsh Harrier on the patch - the first was 13/14 March 2016 which roosted overnight. I didnt see today's bird return so I expect it probably roosted at Oakley pool SSSI as it was heading in that direction.

c120 Sand Martins and 4 Swallows roosted.

Tawny Owl calling from Salwarpe.

Last edited:
1 House Martin over the house but amazingly I do believe i've just had a Woodcock fly fast and low south towards Copcut Lane, shrieking as it went. Quite a sight.

That's a good date for a Woodcock, Rob - obviously on passage but it has been a very good winter for them, locally. I'll add it to the April stats.

Great views of a male Tawny Owl sat in one of the tall trees in Salwarpe graveyard this morning, calling a couple of times.

A Grasshopper Warbler sang briefly in Coney Meadow - seemed to be coming from along the River Salwarpe at the back of the reedbed towards the Droitwich end.

The Sand Martins left their reedbed roost at 05:30. Sedge and Reed Warblers plus Whitethroat singing. Coal Tit and Nuthatch in the churchyard.

Cuckoo at Tapenhall - Mildenham plus Sedge and Whitethroat, Gadwall and Coot.

Lesser Whitethroat at New Mill.

Singing Common Whitethroat at Copcut Lane.

Users who are viewing this thread

• PHW
Back