Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Yorkshire Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 395 votes, 4.92 average.
Old Sunday 29th October 2017, 10:34   #21176
Julian61

Hi - Advice needed on a good place to spend a day birding on a rare day away from family and work duties this coming Tuesday. I'm in Penistone and am inclined towards something coastal though winds look unpromising westerly in the forecast.

Any thoughts?
Old Monday 30th October 2017, 16:59   #21177
camper9110

Day out at Spurn.

Had a nice day out at Spurn on Sunday, strong North winds, looked out to sea for a Little auk but I did not see any of the 30 reported to have passed, but the waves were quite big and all birds passing were now you see me now you don't. Attached are some of my record pictures from the day.
Regards
Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black_Redstart_Spurn_Oct17.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	644758  Click image for larger version

Name:	Brent_Geese_Spurm_Oct17.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	644759  Click image for larger version

Name:	Little_Stint_Spurn_Oct17.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	644760  
Old Monday 30th October 2017, 17:54   #21178
Julian61

Thanks Mark. Lovely pics. It'll be Spurn or Flamborough for me tomorrow though conditions don't look great for anything spectacular. But anything can happen in either place so I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old Monday 6th November 2017, 15:00   #21179
vwxyzen
swillybirder

Hawfinches in Parlington park

It's been a long time since there were any reliable sites to see Hawfinch in the Leeds area but there have been at least 6 birds around the gamekeepers cottage in Parlington park over the last two days.
Old Tuesday 7th November 2017, 06:52   #21180
Chris-Leeds

I..was....so...close...on....Saturday
Old Saturday 11th November 2017, 18:31   #21181
loiner

A Dartford Warbler was found at Swillington Ings this morning, on the hillside to the west of the Visitors' Centre. This is the second site record but it is still a scarce Yorkshire bird (only about the fifth County record).
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 08:20   #21182
WACCOE
Marching on Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by loiner View Post
A Dartford Warbler was found at Swillington Ings this morning, on the hillside to the west of the Visitors' Centre. This is the second site record but it is still a scarce Yorkshire bird (only about the fifth County record).
A fair few birders there yesterday morning a nice addition to my Yorks list

World 1174 Scops Owl, Western Pal 524 Scops Owl, UK 398 Parrot Crossbill,Yorkshire 348 Dartford Warbler
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 12:26   #21183
tba20042003

Dartford warbler apparently now at St. Aiden's - went this morning and unfortunately dipped on it, but quite windy so that was putting birds down. Quite a few stonechats about though.
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 13:48   #21184
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

No sign of the bird up to 1300 hrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tba20042003 View Post
Dartford warbler apparently now at St. Aiden's - went this morning and unfortunately dipped on it, but quite windy so that was putting birds down. Quite a few stonechats about though.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 21st November 2017, 20:15   #21185
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

http://www.stopthebeetfactory.co.uk/ This is in the planning process. A large plant close by the A1 A59 junction. The nearest beet fields are in South Yorks. Imagine what this is gonna mean to the already congested A1. You got to say no to it.

Old Thursday 23rd November 2017, 07:07   #21186
Chris-Leeds

Done.
Old Saturday 25th November 2017, 08:47   #21187
mudman

Sugar beet is a winter staple for pinkfooted geese. It is also a spring sown crop so in general the field will be an over wintered stubble beforehand. In general sugar beet is a wildlife friendly crop and should be encouraged over winter sown cereal IMO. A new sugar beet factory should increase the acreage grown in the area so is therefore a good thing for the birds.
Old Saturday 25th November 2017, 17:06   #21188
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

It's the location of the plant that is the problem, the A1 from M18 junction through to North of Ripon is congested almost 24/7. The A59 is a major artery from York to Harrogate and also takes a large volume of traffic. The volume of traffic this will add to an already overstretched road network will mean gridlock in places for long periods of the day.
I've no objection to the plant in a different location but sticking it right next to the A1/A59 junction is lunacy.

Old Monday 4th December 2017, 21:06   #21189
pete seaman

Keith,the sugar beet plant cannot be as big a blot as the incinerator just up the road along the old red wall. If the plant went ahead surely local farmers would grow beet as they did until the old York factory closed. Spent many an hour in days gone by hoeing out the weeds among young beet plants for beer money.
Old Friday 8th December 2017, 16:17   #21190
TeePee Knot

Pete you are wrong on this one what they are planning is the biggest sugar plant in Europe, it will belong to a middle east organisation and there will be three silos each taller and much much wider than the incinerator chimney. The whole thing is an utter nightmare, I read somewhere they would be talking up to 1000 lorries at day but don't know if that is true or not.
Old Sunday 10th December 2017, 16:13   #21191
pete seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeePee Knot View Post
Pete you are wrong on this one what they are planning is the biggest sugar plant in Europe, it will belong to a middle east organisation and there will be three silos each taller and much much wider than the incinerator chimney. The whole thing is an utter nightmare, I read somewhere they would be talking up to 1000 lorries at day but don't know if that is true or not.
Yes I now see what the problem would be,I was picturing something on the lines of the old York plant. We often use the A168 as a quieter route alongside the A1M looks like that option will have gone if this goes through. The ownership might give local people a few sleepless night as ME countries are not noted for being environmently friendly.
Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 15:58   #21192
arthur heaton

Blackbirds

I've got a new resident in the garden-99% certain she's a female blackbird,but plumage is a little different.Paler "eyebrows",redder colour bur still brown,black beak-is this one of our winter visitors,or just a variation?
Also,I've just signed the beet factory petition.As a local resident,I'm disgusted that this has been dropped on us.
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 18:51   #21193
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Hi Arthur - your bird sounds like it could be a juvenile blackbird. They have dark bills but can be quite light coloured until the first body moult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur heaton View Post
I've got a new resident in the garden-99% certain she's a female blackbird,but plumage is a little different.Paler "eyebrows",redder colour bur still brown,black beak-is this one of our winter visitors,or just a variation?
Also,I've just signed the beet factory petition.As a local resident,I'm disgusted that this has been dropped on us.

Old Saturday 16th December 2017, 14:23   #21194
arthur heaton

Thanks,Keith-that was my thought.I just wondered if it is a visitor from Scandanavia-I have heard that they look a little different.
Old Thursday 22nd February 2018, 13:42   #21195
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

A successful if wet morning at Wykeham Forest (and then Brompton church) yesterday but potential visitors be warned that the raptor viewpoint carpark is currently a quagmire and being used for stacking great piles of logs. maybe better to park at the right angled bend.

Steve
Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 11:05   #21196
WACCOE
Marching on Together

At Last Red Kite on the garden list bird just drifted over the garden whilst pegging out the washing

World 1174 Scops Owl, Western Pal 524 Scops Owl, UK 398 Parrot Crossbill,Yorkshire 348 Dartford Warbler
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: